King's Speech - A+++

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Default King's Speech - A+++

Saw The King's Speech today. true story. Wonderful movie - wonderfully done.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Veteran member

I agree. Best film I've seen about the British monarchy.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 PM

Went tonight to see it . . . my wife loved it and thought it was a 9 on a 1-10 . . . I enjoyed it but I'd only give it a 7.5 . . . not enough sex, nudity, violence, language, etc . . . . . . but then it is about the British monarchy!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Veteran member

Wonderful movie based on a true and very inspirational story. Both lead roles should get best actor nominations. This will be one of my all time favorites. Saw this with my daughter and her boy friend (mid-20s) and they loved it. A great movie for any age group.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
Wonderful movie based on a true and very inspirational story. Both lead roles should get best actor nominations. This will be one of my all time favorites. Saw this with my daughter and her boy friend (mid-20s) and they loved it. A great movie for any age group.
Freeda, You said it beautifully. I too loved the movie and agree that the leads should get the Academy Award for best actors. I hated to see it end and it will be one of my favorites, also.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Gold member

It was a totally beautiful movie.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Platinum member

My husband and I saw it on New Years Eve and we loved it. Very inspiring story and well played. Oscar Winner I hope!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Sage
Default Thumbs up

I saw The King's Speech today. Excellent performances -- especially the scenes between Colin Furth and Geoffrey Rush. Hopefully Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter will all receive Oscar nominations. I wonder if Queen Elizabeth has seen this movie and if so, what she thinks of it?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Administrator

This movie is amazing, and that from a movie cynic.

Colin Firth captures the emotions of a stutterer with alarming accuracy. Its enough to give you the willies.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Default Great Movie!

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it lived up to all the accolades I've read about it.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 01-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Veteran member

I saw it a second time and was even more than the first time caught up in the intriguing dialogue and in the emotion - both great humor at times, and poignance - of the movie.

The movie should appeal to most people on at least some level, as it has multiple interwoven themes - the story's historical significance and how the potential of the threat to Britain's confidence in the Crown at such a time of national crisis, with WWII imminent, was averted; portrayal of the possible role that emotional abuse in young children may play in their development; deep lifelong friendship and mutual respect between men from entirely different, 'unequal', worlds, who would otherwise have never met but for their having become essential to each other's personal fulfillment; the love and dedication of a spouse; dignity, perseverence, character, and courage; and the interesting portrayal of key figures, such as Churchill and the King's daughters, who would become the future Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret.

It was great that Colin Firth won Best Actor at the Golden Globes for this memorable performance.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 01-24-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Can't wait to see it! Thanks for the descriptions and recommendations.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
I saw it a second time and was even more than the first time caught up in the intriguing dialogue and in the emotion - both great humor at times, and poignance - of the movie.

The movie should appeal to most people on at least some level, as it has multiple interwoven themes - the story's historical significance and how the potential of the threat to Britain's confidence in the Crown at such a time of national crisis, with WWII imminent, was averted; portrayal of the possible role that emotional abuse in young children may play in their development; deep lifelong friendship and mutual respect between men from entirely different, 'unequal', worlds, who would otherwise have never met but for their having become essential to each other's personal fulfillment; the love and dedication of a spouse; dignity, perseverence, character, and courage; and the interesting portrayal of key figures, such as Churchill and the King's daughters, who would become the future Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret.

It was great that Colin Firth won Best Actor at the Golden Globes for this memorable performance.
Freeda, you have captured the emotional and phychological nuances of the movie beautifully. Thanks, I never see a movie twice but I think I will revisit this one.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:21 PM

I don't remember when I enjoyed a movie as much as I enjoyed "The King's Speech."
I'll be watching these guys pick up the Oscars on Feb. 27th.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.