The Many Saints of Newark.

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2021, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default The Many Saints of Newark. (Possible spoilers)

The Many Saints of Newark - Rotten Tomatoes

I have seen all the episodes of The Sopranos so this might interest me. Would like to hear some reviews by Talk of the Villagers before I go.

It is playing on two screens at the Old Mill Playhouse.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-01-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

I have seen all the episodes of The Sopranos so this might interest me. Would like to hear some reviews by Talk of the Villagers before I go.

Remember to Spoiler Alert where necessary.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Remember to Spoiler Alert where necessary.
Updated. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Phenomenal! I remember vividly the riots in Newark. It was a rough time for many people.

I thought the movie was a lot better than I expected. I worked in Newark and Jersey City. It was so good to see the perfection in casting the characters from The Sopranos. I am a Sopranos nut. Some areas of Newark have not recovered all these years later.

When the contractor bought the concrete for the house that the Sopranos Family lived in he told me. It was a thrill to actually see the house from the outside when it was almost complete. Turns out I knew the owner through business. I don’t know if he still owns it though.

So I loved the movie and still do not like the way David Chase ended the series. I’m glad HBO upset him with their release of the movie. Karma at work.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

We also watched all of Sopranos and loved it.

We only made it half way through the first episode of this.

To us it had none of the "feel" of the Sopranos that it is supposed to be the prequel. I think it is well written, well acted and had good cinematography. I just think it had a completely different "tone" and it did not grab us.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
We also watched all of Sopranos and loved it.

We only made it half way through the first episode of this.

To us it had none of the "feel" of the Sopranos that it is supposed to be the prequel. I think it is well written, well acted and had good cinematography. I just think it had a completely different "tone" and it did not grab us.
I understand what you are saying but thought that would only come from someone who didn’t watch the original Sopranos. Point well taken and respected.

Being in the Concrete business in and around Newark most of the contractors thought they were one of the Sopranos.

Johnny Sack had a small contracting company. I never met him or liked him on the show.

I hope they do more movies 🎥 or another series.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I understand what you are saying but thought that would only come from someone who didn’t watch the original Sopranos. Point well taken and respected.

Being in the Concrete business in and around Newark most of the contractors thought they were one of the Sopranos.

Johnny Sack had a small contracting company. I never met him or liked him on the show.

I hope they do more movies 🎥 or another series.
I have NO idea how realistic the movie is. I have never been associated with anything represented in it, so I was purely speaking cinematically. If you like "mob" stories from that time frame, I think it is probably excellent.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:31 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I watched all the Sopranos, and have recently watched Godfather of Harlem. I had high expectations for this prequel, and came away VERY disappointed. While the acting was ok, I thought the script and pace of the show very slow and boring. The beginning was a bit confusing, and the ending was just random. A total waste of two hours IMO. Godfather of harlem with Forrest Whittaker so much better, and in the same time period.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

We watched it on HBOmax. I didn’t care for it. Just a bunch of people screaming at each other. That being said, I haven’t watched the series.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
I watched all the Sopranos, and have recently watched Godfather of Harlem. I had high expectations for this prequel, and came away VERY disappointed. While the acting was ok, I thought the script and pace of the show very slow and boring. The beginning was a bit confusing, and the ending was just random. A total waste of two hours IMO. Godfather of harlem with Forrest Whittaker so much better, and in the same time period.
Godfather Of Harlem is really really Great! Some cunning people in a Dirty Business.
Closed Thread

Tags
talk, villagers, playing, screens, mill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.