Movies You Can Watch Again & Again!

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Cat Ballou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seem to recall that Cat Ballou was one of the movies that Howard Rosenberg showed at the MGM Grand in his Film Criticism Class on Westerns that I audited at the University of Nevada, Reno.

If it was not, it should have been.

I do remember another one that was Will Penny-- Will Penny (1968) - Rotten Tomatoes

Not a very good movie.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-01-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - Jack Nicholson's crowning achievement.
Cat Ballou - Lee Marvin was fantastic
Bye Bye Birdie - I was in love with Ann-Margaret
Dr. Strangelove - Peter Sellers best
Virtually any Joel and Ethan Coen Movie; including
Big Lebowski - That rug tied the whole room together - You're way out of your element Donnie
Fargo - I once lived among the frozen chosen
Raising Arizona - Nathan Arizona has more kids than he needs
All the Christopher Guest ensemble movies
Best in Show - Fred Willard's ad libbed commentary on the dog show is classic
A Mighty Wind - a must if you liked folk music
Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - Jack Nicholson's crowning achievement.
Cat Ballou - Lee Marvin was fantastic
Bye Bye Birdie - I was in love with Ann-Margaret
Dr. Strangelove - Peter Sellers best
Virtually any Joel and Ethan Coen Movie; including
Big Lebowski - That rug tied the whole room together - You're way out of your element Donnie
Fargo - I once lived among the frozen chosen
Raising Arizona - Nathan Arizona has more kids than he needs
All the Christopher Guest ensemble movies
Best in Show - Fred Willard's ad libbed commentary on the dog show is classic
A Mighty Wind - a must if you liked folk music
Enjoyed all on that list.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Well Tal, for better or for worse we share similar tastes.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Well Tal, for better or for worse we share similar tastes.
I see almost every new movie I can and have been doing so since I graduated from Law School in May of 1989. I got a VCR player soon after that to catch up on all the movies that working abut 20 hours a week and going to law school full time racked up in the unseen pile.

Here is a movie from the Howard Rosenberg Film Criticism Class for Sci Fi/Horror at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Forbidden Planet (1956) - Rotten Tomatoes

I do not think I have seen that movie since then-- around 1981 or 1982.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-01-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:54 AM

My vote is for SECOND HAND LIONS. It's got a bit of everything, adventure, comedy, romance - and it's something the kids and adults can enjoy.

Second best is FIELD OF DREAMS - especially if you're a baseball fan.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoxer;126***1
My vote is for SECOND HAND LIONS. It's got a bit of everything, adventure, comedy, romance - and it's something the kids and adults can enjoy.

Second best is FIELD OF DREAMS - especially if you're a baseball fan.
Those are both good.

I have seen The Wizard of Oz and Who Framed Roger Rabbit many times because they were favorites of Tal Tar or Zac whenever they came over in Palm Harbor to visit and swim and the like.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Sage

I didn't read all the posts and I'm very late in the game so forgive me if someone also named this movie.
It's "Nobody's Fool."

Why?

It's Paul Newman as a senior citizen, always the coolest person in the movie and always the best looking man in the room.

Jessica Tandy, is always someone I can't get enough of, a master. She portrays somebody that reminds me of someone else. It's a real person.

Bruce Willis, just the skilled actor in this role---not the hero or love interest.

Melanie Griffith is hot, young and has an interest in Paul Newman----as if there is hope for us male seniors.

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Officer Raymer, maybe the greatest actor I know who left us all too soon, another natural---even when he is a jerk, like in this role.

And it takes place in Hudson New York in the winter---I know that place a little and the weather I know well,,,crappy snow and not where you want to be if you are carpenter or work outside and need to deal with it. The location and the weather is also a character. If you know what I mean.

Here is the trailor:

Here is a little scene that kind of explains why I can watch it again and again:

And another sweet scene that makes you feel good about being a dad, being a friend:

Look for it---I guess it's a chick flick,,,whatever that means

Last edited by tomwed; 08-01-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I didn't read all the posts and I'm very late in the game so forgive me if someone also named this movie.
It's "Nobody's Fool."

Why?

It's Paul Newman as a senior citizen, always the coolest person in the movie and always the best looking man in the room.

Jessica Tandy, is always someone I can't get enough of, a master. She portrays somebody that reminds me of someone else. It's a real person.

Bruce Willis, just the skilled actor in this role---not the hero or love interest.

Melanie Griffith is hot, young and has an interest in Paul Newman----as if there is hope for us male seniors.

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Officer Raymer, maybe the greatest actor I know who left us all too soon, another natural---even when he is a jerk, like in this role.

And it takes place in Hudson New York in the winter---I know that place a little and the weather I know well,,,crappy snow and not where you want to be if you are carpenter or work outside and need to deal with it. The location and the weather is also a character. If you know what I mean.

Here is the trailor:

Here is a little scene that kind of explains why I can watch it again and again:

And another sweet scene that makes you feel good about being a dad, being a friend:

Look for it---I guess it's a chick flick,,,whatever that means
Nobody's Fool (1994) - Rotten Tomatoes

Cannot say I remember the movie but I am sure I have seen it just because I would have gone to something with these actors in it.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:01 AM
Sage
Default The last VCR's were manufactured last month

Many of us have probably ditched our VCR's quite some time ago. Japan's Funai Electric manufactured the last VCR's in July. Remember when VCR'S were cutting edge technology?

I bought my first VCR at Marshall Fields at Old Orchard Shopping Center in Skokie, Illinois (north suburb of Chicago) in about 1984-85...I think I spent about $400 on it. My coworkers all told me to get VHS and not Betamax. Now I didn't have to be home to watch a TV show...I could just tape it. And rent movies from the video store down the street...what was not too like about that (except for the late fees)? Now you could buy your favorite movies and watch them over and over again. It took my roommate's boyfriend about 3 hours to get that first VCR hooked up and running in our apartment in Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood . . . bless him

It took a ruling in 1984 from the US Supreme Court saying that using a VCR to tape television shows was not a violation of copyright laws to get the demand for VCR's going.

I now end my trip down memory lane.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Many of us have probably ditched our VCR's quite some time ago. Japan's Funai Electric manufactured the last VCR's in July. Remember when VCR'S were cutting edge technology?

I bought my first VCR at Marshall Fields at Old Orchard Shopping Center in Skokie, Illinois (north suburb of Chicago) in about 1984-85...I think I spent about $400 on it. My coworkers all told me to get VHS and not Betamax. Now I didn't have to be home to watch a TV show...I could just tape it. And rent movies from the video store down the street...what was not too like about that (except for the late fees)? Now you could buy your favorite movies and watch them over and over again. It took my roommate's boyfriend about 3 hours to get that first VCR hooked up and running in our apartment in Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood . . . bless him

It took a ruling in 1984 from the US Supreme Court saying that using a VCR to tape television shows was not a violation of copyright laws to get the demand for VCR's going.

I probably got mine in 1989 just so I could keep out of Jennifer V.'s hair when she was studying for her last year of law school at the U of MN and I was living with her.

I have had some kind of playing device since then. Recording devices not so much.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:16 AM
Sage
Default Die Hard.

I watch Die Hard every six months or so. Saw part of one of the sequels while giving platelets at One Blood a few days ago. Live Free or Die Hard (2007) - Rotten Tomatoes

Things were quite strange though at One Blood the last time.

There seemed to be an elephant in the room.

Die Hard (1988) - Rotten Tomatoes I remember seeing it in Minneapolis just before a relationship with a male law student went really bad. Saw it with him. Phoney friend who took me for a ride and used to bug me all my Third Year of Law School with jibes about "Meeting my parents". One of my worst experiences in law school but my friends at Legal Assistance to Minnesota Prisoners helped me out dealing with it and I learned that he had pulled something similar with a First Year Law Student during our First Year which caused her to drop out of Law School. I just had to get a little Old Testament on the man. Kind of a fitting movie for that memory in Die Hard. The creep graduated from Law School but we did not have enough evidence to do anything more than warn students away from him through the grape vine.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-02-2016 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post

Speaking of memory lane, there's probably very few kids under the age of 15 these days that could tell you that they have ever heard the phrase... "Be kind and rewind."
Old 08-02-2016, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore2 View Post
Speaking of memory lane, there's probably very few kids under the age of 15 these days that could tell you that they have ever heard the phrase... "Be kind and rewind."
I certainly heard that a lot. And some libraries where I would get VCR tapes would charge you if you had not rewound them.

I had to get a DVD player after we moved to the Villages in 2005 because the Blockbuster that used to be in Spanish Plaines was phasing out all the VCR tapes and just going to DVDs.

I miss John, Charlotte, Mimi and the rest of that crew at the Blockbusters that used to be where First Watch is now. FIRST WATCH DEBUTS IN THE VILLAGES | First Watch

This opened around 2012???
Old 08-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Sage
Default Tombstone from 1993.

Tombstone (1993) - Rotten Tomatoes

"I'm your Huckleberry!" Doc Holiday "I'm Your Huckleberry" - YouTube

I visited the tourist trap Tombstone back around 1972. It was OK.

Tombstone Arizona | Information and Tourist Guide
Closed Thread

Tags
enjoy, movie, movies, pick, times

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.