This comes in length at 3 hours!
Sound of freedom, excellent movie also
Old 07-21-2023, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Oppenheimer - Rotten Tomatoes

This comes in length at 3 hours!
The director says it’s intended to be seen on IMAX 70mm screens and there are only 19 of them in the US. One in FL,….. Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 07-21-2023, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,368 Times in 2,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
The director says it’s intended to be seen on IMAX 70mm screens and there are only 19 of them in the US. One in FL,….. Ft. Lauderdale.
IMAX 70MM now that is a very big screen.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,485 Posts

Would like to see it but from comfort of my couch when I can stop as necessary.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Yes it is and since there’s not one around here, I’ll most likely watch this at home. It’s very long.
Old 07-21-2023, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Yes it is and since there’s not one around here, I’ll most likely watch this at home. It’s very long.
I will probably see it once on a movie screen if I can.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:03 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,680 Times in 1,781 Posts

I am heading over to NM and plan to see it there. One of my aunts was an Army nurse stationed in Los Alamos as the school nurse during the Manhattan Project. She never said much about it except a famous physicist whose name I wont mention here had a son who was still wetting his pants at school at the age of ten.

From 1972 through the mid 1980s I was a staff member at Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory (LASL), during my time there renamed Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL). A few of the old timers were still around when I started working there and at a wine tasting I heard quite a story from one of them about the test of "the gadget" in the desert near Alamogordo (Trinity Site) which is open to the public twice a year. At one time one could buy a paperweight globe containing a small piece of fused sand from the the test shot. Maybe still can. I don't know. Many if not most people from the townsite went up Sawyer's Hill (now the ski slope) very early, while it was still dark, the morning of the test. The shot did not go off at the time planned. The crowd gloomily waited for a while then started to disperse to go home. All of a sudden the sky lit up as bright as noontime and they all started to cheer as the gadget had functioned!

Trinity Site - White Sands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

When I lived in Los Alamos Clement and Benner was the only store in town at which one could buy clothing. They sold a T-shirt with a rendition of the Trinity blast on its front. I still have mine somewhere.

The government built housing as Los Alamos had been a boy's boarding school comprising a few log homes (known as Bathtub Row during the Manhattan Project) and Fuller Lodge (I stayed there a couple nights in 1963 while working part time at Kirkland AFB's Weapons Laboratory) while in college. Our group went up to Los Alamos to conduct an experiment. Anyway, the project was so secret the plans for the apartments were designated with "LA" which the architects interpreted as Los Angeles. Ergo, they were hardly insulated; Los Alamos is at over 7,000 feet above sea level and believe me it gets very cold there. OK, I have rambled on enough.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-21-2023, 08:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I am heading over to NM and plan to see it there. One of my aunts was an Army nurse stationed in Los Alamos as the school nurse during the Manhattan Project. She never said much about it except a famous physicist whose name I wont mention here had a son who was still wetting his pants at school at the age of ten.

From 1972 through the mid 1980s I was a staff member at Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory (LASL), during my time there renamed Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL). A few of the old timers were still around when I started working there and at a wine tasting I heard quite a story from one of them about the test of "the gadget" in the desert near Alamogordo (Trinity Site) which is open to the public twice a year. At one time one could buy a paperweight globe containing a small piece of fused sand from the the test shot. Maybe still can. I don't know. Many if not most people from the townsite went up Sawyer's Hill (now the ski slope) very early, while it was still dark, the morning of the test. The shot did not go off at the time planned. The crowd gloomily waited for a while then started to disperse to go home. All of a sudden the sky lit up as bright as noontime and they all started to cheer as the gadget had functioned!

Trinity Site - White Sands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

When I lived in Los Alamos Clement and Benner was the only store in town at which one could buy clothing. They sold a T-shirt with a rendition of the Trinity blast on its front. I still have mine somewhere.

The government built housing as Los Alamos had been a boy's boarding school comprising a few log homes (known as Bathtub Row during the Manhattan Project) and Fuller Lodge (I stayed there a couple nights in 1963 while working part time at Kirkland AFB's Weapons Laboratory) while in college. Our group went up to Los Alamos to conduct an experiment. Anyway, the project was so secret the plans for the apartments were designated with "LA" which the architects interpreted as Los Angeles. Ergo, they were hardly insulated; Los Alamos is at over 7,000 feet above sea level and believe me it gets very cold there. OK, I have rambled on enough.
Thanks for those memories. You were hardly rambling.
Old 07-22-2023, 07:20 AM
Default IMAX in Orlando

We see all IMAX movies in Orlando at the Regal Theater on International Drive. Great dinner across the street at Del Frisco or a quick burger at The Pub. Parking in the structure is stamped at the theater or use Valet parking.
Old 07-22-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Have seats for Sunday showing at IMAX in Atlantic City. To see big ya gotta go big.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Saw it at AMC at Lake Square Mall in Leesburg. Wonderful movie. It's 3 hours long, so watch it on a recliner at AMC.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:29 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,680 Times in 1,781 Posts

This might be of interest to some of you. I knew this fellow who went by "Brix". He designed and operated the cameras used at the test. Brix was a very light hearted gentleman who was quick to smile and chuckle. He was very modest about his work. I am glad he lived so long.

Berlyn Brixner - Nuclear Museum

Berlyn Brixner - Wikipedia

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-22-2023, 09:38 PM

I saw Oppenheimer this weekend and it is a very good movie. I was frustrated with their choice of having two nude scenes, which I guess is why they got an R rating. Other than that, this is a very engaging movie.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej012160 View Post
I saw Oppenheimer this weekend and it is a very good movie. I was frustrated with their choice of having two nude scenes, which I guess is why they got an R rating. Other than that, this is a very engaging movie.
Hopefully the nude scenes were not with the Einstein like physicists.
Closed Thread

Tags
oppenheimer, length, hours

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.