"Poor Things".

Old 04-02-2024, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default "Poor Things".

Great acting by all involved and has a very I interesting story especially for someone like me who has a degree in Philosophy and a 2nd one in History. A lot of the movie is a discussion about the problem of evil in the world that compares well with Voltaire's Candide.

It is way too graphic for kids though. It probably would have got an X rating a few decades ago.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-03-2024 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:19 PM
Veteran member

My wife and I watched it the other night. I love seeing movies that surprise me and this one certainly did. At the same time, the very strange camera work, the sour-sounding soundtrack and the strange, dreamlike sets put me on edge the whole time. Don't even get me started on the strange hybrid creatures. They were, as an old buddy of mine would put it, "weird with a beard."

I thought Emma Stone and Willem Dafoe were both brilliant but at first thought Mark Ruffalo didn't really come off as English; that perhaps he had the same talentless language coach that Kevin Costner had in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Then I thought, "No, this imposter of a character is actually an American passing himself off as an English cad." With that, I saw his performance as equally brilliant. Yes, there was a lot of nudity, including some full frontal of both men and women and there certainly was sex. However, Ms. Stone's character's take on it all was so analytical that it was not erotic to see at all.

Glad I saw it. I have no need to ever see it again.

Tags
poor, compares, voltaires, candide, graphic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.