Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Minnesota.

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Thumbs up Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Minnesota.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) - Rotten Tomatoes

Anyone seen this yet? Looks like it may be Oscar nomination quality from the reviews and the audience ratings.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:32 PM

Saw it today. Loved it. Award worthy! Two thumbs up!
Old 11-24-2017, 10:35 PM
Veteran member

We loved it

Old 12-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Not a prude....but the language (every one in the book) used SO repeatedly it became irritating to me. Just seems as if Hollywood simply HAS TO infuse the gutter-talk in so many films.
Again, not a prude - just saw Last Flag Flying... and the language was fitting for the movie and its characters. In 3 Billboards IMO it was simply way over the top - esp the C word and MF many many times. Seems every character could not get more than 3 lines in without $%#@!.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Not a prude....but the language (every one in the book) used SO repeatedly it became irritating to me. Just seems as if Hollywood simply HAS TO infuse the gutter-talk in so many films.
Again, not a prude - just saw Last Flag Flying... and the language was fitting for the movie and its characters. In 3 Billboards IMO it was simply way over the top - esp the C word and MF many many times. Seems every character could not get more than 3 lines in without $%#@!.
The foul language, I agree, often detracts from the story.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathrynsews View Post
Saw it today. Loved it. Award worthy! Two thumbs up!
Ditto..great cast and story..
Old 12-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Saw it last week with a surprisingly full house for a non-sequel, non-franchise movie. The writing, direction and performances were all amazing. Neighbor behind me also saw it and can't stop talking about it. We agree that it was an extremely "real" feeling film and that everyone in it seemed consumed by something; loss, anger, cancer or whatever. Frances McDormand is always great but she topped herself in this one. Similarly, Sam Rockwell went beyond his usual greatness. Woody Harrelson gave the best performance I've ever seen from him. Caleb Landry Jones is new to me (having only seen him in American Made before this) but he can keep up with the big names. Just a great, great movie.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Saw it last week with a surprisingly full house for a non-sequel, non-franchise movie. The writing, direction and performances were all amazing. Neighbor behind me also saw it and can't stop talking about it. We agree that it was an extremely "real" feeling film and that everyone in it seemed consumed by something; loss, anger, cancer or whatever. Frances McDormand is always great but she topped herself in this one. Similarly, Sam Rockwell went beyond his usual greatness. Woody Harrelson gave the best performance I've ever seen from him. Caleb Landry Jones is new to me (having only seen him in American Made before this) but he can keep up with the big names. Just a great, great movie.
I was wondering whom he played in American Made. He did a good job with that role.

Caleb Landry Jones - Wikipedia
Old 12-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I was wondering whom he played in American Made. He did a good job with that role.

Caleb Landry Jones - Wikipedia
He played the idiot brother-in-law and was totally convincing. After posting I found out I'd also seen him in a smallish role in X-Men: First Class. I'm going to keep an eye out for him in the future. He has four or five upcoming film roles listed in IMDB.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
He played the idiot brother-in-law and was totally convincing. After posting I found out I'd also seen him in a smallish role in X-Men: First Class. I'm going to keep an eye out for him in the future. He has four or five upcoming film roles listed in IMDB.
I will watch for him too.

Some of the women in American Made kept my eyes on them quite a bit longer though.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:10 PM
Sage

Got around to seeing this movie Monday afternoon (today).

It seemed realistic to me if quite earthy with the language.

Very good performances from the various actors.

Still has a sizable audience. This was first time I had to stand in a long line at the Barnstorm Theater for a non-Star Wars universe movie.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

My wife and I saw it two weeks ago; awesome movie; went at 10:30am and wasn't but a handful of people there.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) - Rotten Tomatoes

Anyone seen this yet? Looks like it may be Oscar nomination quality from the reviews and the audience ratings.
It was fantastic. Although they call it a comedy drama, the comedy is pretty much dark humor or irony, and it's a pretty serious movie. So well done.

The boy who played the lead's son, Lucas Hedges, is in Manchester By the Sea, which is another fantastic movie.

Neither one of these movies will have you dancing in the aisles.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It was fantastic. Although they call it a comedy drama, the comedy is pretty much dark humor or irony, and it's a pretty serious movie. So well done.

The boy who played the lead's son, Lucas Hedges, is in Manchester By the Sea, which is another fantastic movie.

Neither one of these movies will have you dancing in the aisles.
I bought the Blu-Ray a long time ago and the cashier Dee Dee was raving about how good Manchester by the Sea is but I still have not gotten around to watching it. I like action movies like Atomic Blonde and The Foreigner more.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
I bought the Blu-Ray a long time ago and the cashier Dee Dee was raving about how good Manchester by the Sea is but I still have not gotten around to watching it. I like action movies like Atomic Blonde and The Foreigner more.
Manchester By the Sea is definitely not an action movie. It makes the statement that there are some things in life so tragic you cannot get over them. Some wounds time does not heal.

Tags
nomination, oscar, quality, audience, reviews

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.