we're the MILLERS

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 AM

We have not seen the movie but I can imagine that it promotes drug use and other child non-friendly humor. Remember the Marx Brothers (Groucho's double entendre jokes), Red Skelton and others comedians whereas the whole family could watch without being offended? Not to say that we don't enjoy a funny R rated comedy once in a great while (the movie-Ted) as when you walk into the theater, you certainly know what you're in for. Hollywood has certainly come a long way down the road.....but, unfortunately so have we. We do prefer some of the older movies and are quite selective on what we spend our money on. We also saw The Heat, only on the strength of Sandra Bullock being in it. Smart move for her to say she would not be in a sequel. For the most part, we would sit there and cringe due to the language rolling out of the mouth of Melissa McCarthy. If that's 'street talk', no wonder the streets are the way they are.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post
Nobody is listening to "us" of a certain age. If we stop spending our money, Hollywood won't care or even notice. Seniors are catered to in a very, very few markets ....Sorry, but we're over the hill and the up and coming 18 year olds rule what makes the movies, clothes, food choices, music piped into the mall.....just to name a few. We had our day, including Elvis !
I think you're right, we're a small segment of society. We certainly don't spend money on movies and music the way kids do. Whether Grey Heads like a movie isn't going to make or break it. On television, you can see that most ads are geared toward teenagers and families, with the occasional Depends/Geritol ad thrown in on shows starring Betty White! I don't mind at all, it's the way things should be, it's the natural progression of life.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Don't be so quick to throw us under the bus. Remember our grandparents. They basically sat around not doing too much. Our grandchildren will have experiences when they visit us they will carry with them throughout their whole lives. Just think of the memories of gram and pop visiting them and driving around in the golf cart, watching them play pickleball or softball or dancing or going to square to see scooter. We are such active seniors unlike no other generation. We are villagers!!

I won't give up influencing the younger generation whether through talking or setting examples. Be a positive influence in the younger generations life. Tell them WHY certain movies, songs, etc.. are NOT good. Speak of what is RIGHT and believe me they will hear you and you will influence them more than you know. We may be their only HOPE left.

See the movie Courageous and talk about how great that movie is and the way it made you feel when you left the theater. They were not even going to play that movie in the Villages until Villagers DEMANDED it!! You can do it. You can influence the younger generation. Don't think they aren't listening. Give them memories , give them things to think about, teach them right from wrong starting with the movies today and what is good and not so good about the messages they portray.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Tell us more. Why was it funny?

Someone referred to a bunch of talk about oral sex and we are all adults and understand all that stuff comfortably...but the folks who were supposedly the givers and takers in this situation sounded to be ....a little out of range.

Who says stuff like that to a teen?

I haven't seen it. I think you have a good sense of humor, Bosoxfan...but some things aren't funny to me just because.For instance.... I don't get The Three Stooges. I don't get America's Funniest Home Videos when people really hurt themselves.

What is funny to some and not others is not always a matter of prudery.

Just maybe....for most of us it isn't comfortable or recognizable life experiences?

I don't know. I was never present when in any social situation any female put her hands on the breasts of another female in public.

I saw that clip on a show where Jennifer Anniston was selling the film. THAT was ouchy to me.
Gracie I don't equate this with any "real life " situation.It's a movie with comedic value only. I also like things like West Side Story which is about as far from reality as one can get.I do however understand some folks not liking this type of humor. I for one don't like most british humor. Monty Python, A Fish Called Wanda,Benny Hill etc are not my cup of tea.So you see it's hard to explain why something tickles one's funny bone & doesn't tickle another's.Different strokes for different folks ..I Guess!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 PM

maybe they can't tell you WHY they liked it.?? Maybe they find that telling a young boy to go suck a man's ----- is funny to them. I am by NO means a prude either but that is so distasteful and in today's society I guess I find no humor in it. It would be interesting to KNOW exactly WHAT they did find funny about it but you see you ask the question and you get no answer. Makes you wonder what one is thinking if they can't answer the question. I could go on and on about what was NOT funny about it if you asked me. Also found the part distasteful where the young boy is learning to kiss so he kisses not only the homeless girl (who is at least around his age) but his supposed MOTHER !! Whew where IS the humor in that ?? I just don't get it. Maybe the ones who liked it can explain WHAT was funny about it?? Would be interested in hearing the opposing opinion also. Comments?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy1581 View Post
maybe they can't tell you WHY they liked it.?? Maybe they find that telling a young boy to go suck a man's ----- is funny to them. I am by NO means a prude either but that is so distasteful and in today's society I guess I find no humor in it. It would be interesting to KNOW exactly WHAT they did find funny about it but you see you ask the question and you get no answer. Makes you wonder what one is thinking if they can't answer the question. I could go on and on about what was NOT funny about it if you asked me. Also found the part distasteful where the young boy is learning to kiss so he kisses not only the homeless girl (who is at least around his age) but his supposed MOTHER !! Whew where IS the humor in that ?? I just don't get it. Maybe the ones who liked it can explain WHAT was funny about it?? Would be interested in hearing the opposing opinion also. Comments?
I don't think you're telling me why it's not funny .Is it because it offends you? Today's humor is so far removed from I Love Lucy & the likes but it doesn't mean it isn't funny to some. Why did I find it funny? Well the timing of certain lines ...the situations this so called family got themselves into & how they handled it.I'm guessing if you didn't find this funny then Something about Mary,Liar Liar Adam Sandler Movies ,The Hangover movies are not your type of humor. Like I said in a previous post different strokes for different folks! Just because it wasn't funny for you doesn't mean everybody else has your opinion.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:00 PM

actually I thought something about Mary was funny!! The guy getting his private parts stuck in zipper was hilarious and probably can happen in real life which made it funny.

On the other hand, an ADULT telling a CHILD to go suck a guys ----- made me sick as children are being abused sexually all the time so therefore it did NOT tickle my funny bone.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Don't be so quick to throw us under the bus. Remember our grandparents. They basically sat around not doing too much. Our grandchildren will have experiences when they visit us they will carry with them throughout their whole lives. Just think of the memories of gram and pop visiting them and driving around in the golf cart, watching them play pickleball or softball or dancing or going to square to see scooter. We are such active seniors unlike no other generation. We are villagers!!

I won't give up influencing the younger generation whether through talking or setting examples. Be a positive influence in the younger generations life. Tell them WHY certain movies, songs, etc.. are NOT good. Speak of what is RIGHT and believe me they will hear you and you will influence them more than you know. We may be their only HOPE left.

See the movie Courageous and talk about how great that movie is and the way it made you feel when you left the theater. They were not even going to play that movie in the Villages until Villagers DEMANDED it!! You can do it. You can influence the younger generation. Don't think they aren't listening. Give them memories , give them things to think about, teach them right from wrong starting with the movies today and what is good and not so good about the messages they portray.
Not throwing anyone under the bus or giving up on the younger generation. This was about a movie, and I still maintain the movie makers are not marketing to our generation. Nothing was about giving up on the kids or not setting good examples for them. The parents, or grandparents, who took the 10 year old to the movie should have know better, but I think most of us would not have taken a young child to an R rated movie.

I also think that if kids are indeed given good parenting, at home, and taught right from wrong, respect, manners, etc., then a raunchy movie every once in a while won't make an impact. If children are not getting what they need at home, then they will find a negative outlet. There are, of course, exceptions. We know kids who grew up without proper guidance, or even a secure home, and they turned out great....and vice versa.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
actually I thought something about Mary was funny!! The guy getting his private parts stuck in zipper was hilarious and probably can happen in real life which made it funny.

On the other hand, an ADULT telling a CHILD to go suck a guys ----- made me sick as children are being abused sexually all the time so therefore it did NOT tickle my funny bone.
I see ...certain things offend you but others like a man's ... used as a hair gel doesn't .... because these kind of things can happen...whatever!

Beside the kid in this movie was 18 ...by no means were they promoting abuse of a child!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:04 PM

But Hollywood was PROMOTING the gay agenda once again ALONG with OK to be a stripper, homeless, drug dealer, smuggler, etc. Didn't care for the underlying message of the movie but that's my opinion and I'm certainly entitled to it without being attacked by those whose opinion is different.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
But Hollywood was PROMOTING the gay agenda once again ALONG with OK to be a stripper, homeless, drug dealer, smuggler, etc. Didn't care for the underlying message of the movie but that's my opinion and I'm certainly entitled to it without being attacked by those whose opinion is different.
The attacks started when you said those who liked....never mind not worth the time.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Sage

A few of you are really showing your age........
Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 PM
TOTV Moderator

This thread has strayed too far off topic and will be closed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.