Avatar in IMAX 3D at Altmonte Springs Mall

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Default Avatar in IMAX 3D at Altmonte Springs Mall

Went to the Christmas day showing at 11:30 am and it was in incredible experience. The IMAX 3D experience is a vast improvement over the last time I saw a 3D movie (maybe 30 years).

The screen is quite large, but when you put on the 3D glasses it seems to shrink in size and appear quite close. The clarity of the picture is incredible and you have the sensation of being part of the action.

Tickets for the morning showing were $10, and they go up from there. I had purchased the tickets online a few days before and that worked well since the show was sold out. If you register at the AMC site they waive the service charge for online purchases. Getting the tickets was simple. There are ATM like machines outside the theater and you just insert the credit card you used to purchase the tickets and they print right there.

I was also surprised to see that many of the previews were also in 3D. The upcoming Alice in Wonderland looked fantastic.

It is a long drive to Altamonte Springs, but well worth the effort.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Sage

And after the show you can have a Pizza at Costco.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

We saw Avatar in 3-D today at the Regal 16 in Ocala. The movie is a visual and mental delight and fascination! Definitely see it in 3-D. Afterwards we had late lunch at the lounge at the Hilton. (This is a great way to treat yourself to an outing, if you like the ambience and 'city' feel of a fine hotel, and are up to taking a short drive from TV).
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadie View Post
Went to the Christmas day showing at 11:30 am and it was in incredible experience. The IMAX 3D experience is a vast improvement over the last time I saw a 3D movie (maybe 30 years).

The screen is quite large, but when you put on the 3D glasses it seems to shrink in size and appear quite close. The clarity of the picture is incredible and you have the sensation of being part of the action.

Tickets for the morning showing were $10, and they go up from there. I had purchased the tickets online a few days before and that worked well since the show was sold out. If you register at the AMC site they waive the service charge for online purchases. Getting the tickets was simple. There are ATM like machines outside the theater and you just insert the credit card you used to purchase the tickets and they print right there.

I was also surprised to see that many of the previews were also in 3D. The upcoming Alice in Wonderland looked fantastic.

It is a long drive to Altamonte Springs, but well worth the effort.
I was just up in Massachusetts for the holidays and went to an Imax in Natick Mass to see Avatar.All I can say is this is the way to see this movie ..Amazing!!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

I went to the Regal Hollywood in Ocala to see Avatar in 3D. The theater at Spanish Springs was also showing Avatar - but NOT in 3D. That would not even be worth seeing! Personally, I thought the storyline was pretty cheesy and the only thing that was a saving factor was the tremendous 3D. I would be seriously surprised if the movie does not win more than one Oscar.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Default Avatar

We have seen it in 3d and really enjoeyed it. Not much of the story, but visual effects and colors are incredible.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Veteran member

it's also showing in 3d at lake shore mall in leesburg.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

Is the 3D in Leesburg the same as the IMAX 3D or is it diifferent?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
Probably different-
IMAX
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMAX is a motion picture film format and projection standard created by Canada's IMAX Corporation. The traditional version of IMAX has the capacity to record and display images of far greater size and resolution than conventional film systems. A standard IMAX screen is 22 metres (72 ft) wide and 16.1 metres (53 ft) high, but can vary. The world's largest cinema screen and IMAX screen is in the LG IMAX theatre in Darling Harbour, Sydney. It is 35.73 m wide by 29.42 m (approximately 8 stories) high – covering an area of more than 1,015 square metres.[1]

IMAX is the most widely used system for large-format, special-venue film presentations. As of April 2009[update], there are 320 IMAX theatres in 42 countries, with about half of these located in the United States. About 60% of IMAX venues are commercial theatres with the other 40% being located in educational venues.[citation needed]

Variations of the traditional IMAX format include IMAX Dome (using a tilted dome screen) formerly called OmniMAX, IMAX 3D and IMAX Digital. Also available is IMAX MPX Theatre System, which defines standards for the conversion of a standard multiplex theater into an IMAX theater.[2]
Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
No, it is different.

The ticket preimum at AMC theaters is $3 for 3D and $4 for IMAX 3D. So I would guess that it is a modest improvement over regular 3D.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Gold member
Default Don't read this if you have not seen Avatar yet (but plan to)!

Saw Avatar in 3-D at Lake Mall, Leesburg this weekend. A spellbinding visual and special effects delight. Interesting how a major component and critical turning point of the plot was taken from the old Tarzan movies.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Sorry guys

I saw the movie and wasn't too thrilled with it ........A little too Harry Potter for my taste.......Now if Jennifer Connelly had been in it ...................

fumar
Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Taltarzac
Default I saw Avatar too in 3-D up in Ocala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
We saw Avatar in 3-D today at the Regal 16 in Ocala. The movie is a visual and mental delight and fascination! Definitely see it in 3-D. Afterwards we had late lunch at the lounge at the Hilton. (This is a great way to treat yourself to an outing, if you like the ambience and 'city' feel of a fine hotel, and are up to taking a short drive from TV).
Yesterday after a trip to Ocala due to potential jury duty in a federal court, I stayed to see Avatar in 3-D. IMAX or a 3-D screen is the best way to see this movie.

It actually looked like it was snowing in the theater when one of the scenes had it snowing around some of the charaters.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.