Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default The Wolf of Wall Street

three thumbs down, waaaay down...

Rating should have been XXX

What a waste of good actors!

15 minutes was enough for us! Manager refunded ticket!

On a positive note, the popcorn was good!

Last edited by jebartle; 12-25-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum member

was thinking of going today.....what didn't you like about it?
Old 12-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Will pm you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
was thinking of going today.....what didn't you like about it?

this movie is too hard to describe on a social venue...
Old 12-25-2013, 09:33 PM

I agree with poster. We saw it tonight and would not recommend. It has no real story line, just a continuing stream of the F word. I spent 20 years in the investment business and this movie is very unrealistic.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The pre-release write ups and trailers were enough to suggest anybody with any sense would not waste their time and money on such a piece of Hollywood filth.

Makes one wonder when top rated directors/producers and stars stoop to such gutter trash......what is the message? Giving America what it wants to see?

The best we can all do is send a message back by not going and advising friends and family as well.

Absolutely disgusting, mindless trash.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:48 AM

The Wolf of Wall Street is based on the autobiography of Jordan Belfort, the self proclaimed Wolf of Wall Street. He actually ran a "boiler room" type trading in Long Island. I read both of the books and the movie is not quite as bad as he describes his life and what he did. He went to jail for about 2 years but still has not paid back the money. He doesn't sound all that remorseful more about getting caught. His life was basically drugs,cheating and sex until he got caught. The movie had to be recut to get an "R" rating is was originally NC17. I for one am looking forward to seeing the movie as I am interested in how Martin directed this and Terry Winter's screenplay. I do have my reservations about this as there is nothing likable about Jordan.

I am looking forward to contrasting this with how I felt about American Hustle. On the surface it seems like a slightly more palatable version of WoW. At least for me, I could kind of understand the 2 leads motivation (Christian Bale and Amy Adams) and they were likable.

It is really interesting going between here and NYC to watch movies and how people respond to them. I am curious so am just going to ask the question how do you decide what movie you are going to see? Maybe is just that I am such of a film geek that I am seldom surprised at what is going to happen. My last true surprise was that since I am not a fan of 3D movies my son told me I had to see it in 3D. He was right Gravity was made for 3D.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by claricecolin View Post
The Wolf of Wall Street is based on the autobiography of Jordan Belfort, the self proclaimed Wolf of Wall Street. He actually ran a "boiler room" type trading in Long Island. I read both of the books and the movie is not quite as bad as he describes his life and what he did. He went to jail for about 2 years but still has not paid back the money. He doesn't sound all that remorseful more about getting caught. His life was basically drugs,cheating and sex until he got caught. The movie had to be recut to get an "R" rating is was originally NC17. I for one am looking forward to seeing the movie as I am interested in how Martin directed this and Terry Winter's screenplay. I do have my reservations about this as there is nothing likable about Jordan.

I am looking forward to contrasting this with how I felt about American Hustle. On the surface it seems like a slightly more palatable version of WoW. At least for me, I could kind of understand the 2 leads motivation (Christian Bale and Amy Adams) and they were likable.

It is really interesting going between here and NYC to watch movies and how people respond to them. I am curious so am just going to ask the question how do you decide what movie you are going to see? Maybe is just that I am such of a film geek that I am seldom surprised at what is going to happen. My last true surprise was that since I am not a fan of 3D movies my son told me I had to see it in 3D. He was right Gravity was made for 3D.
I am no longer an intellectual film attender.

I only go to the movies to be transported and entertained, not to become depressed, or made anxious, worried, angry and disgusted. I want to AVOID the intense emotions that real life can bring and has brought over time. Being in the theatre makes all things more intense and causes my emotions to be more intense.

I have seen all kinds of film over the course of my life. And all kinds of theatre. I am not paying to be made to feel bad. Life is way too short at this time of my life.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Sage

I mostly choose a movie based on who is starring in it
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I'll go to movies based upon what kind of reviews they get in Rotten Tomatoes and from other websites. I do pay attention too to TOTV reviews. I like especially movies I have read the books they are based on and try to read the book before a movie comes out like Lone Survivor, The Monuments Men and others.

Will probably skip The Wolf of Wall Street though as I have little interest in that subject but will probably see American Hustle.

I do enjoy movies that make me think as I audited two semesters with University of Nevada, Reno movie critic Howard Rosenberg. He is the second best movie critic named Howard Rosenberg. The other lives in LA. We talked about various movie making techniques and the like after viewing a variety of films in the science fiction genre in one semester and the western genre in another semester. I audited these classes before going to law school at BYU but dropped out in the Fall of 1982 and then was taking other courses in preparation for going to the University of Denver Graduate School of Librarianship and Information Management in the Summer of 1983.

Howard Rosenberg's TA was someone I had gone to High School with at the Earl Wooster High School in Reno, Nevada who had also been a friend of my next door neighbor. So, it was quite a unique experience.

I do believe that the life experiences you have make a big difference in how you view movies especially if you are open to these.

I recall a friend from the University of Nevada, Reno who had been knifed six times in the heart area by a jealous husband. He was pronounced dead for a few minutes and lost quite a bit of his cognitive abilities from the deprivation of oxygen but he was still going strong after a few months recovery and came back to school studying with me in the Philosophy Department at UNR.

We went to see Raiders of the Lost Ark and he got the biggest kick out of the scene when the man was whirling a knife in a very threatening way at Indiana Jones. I felt for my friend and imagined what he must be going through with back flashes and the like but he just started laughing to beat the rest of the audience at Indiana Jones taking a gun and shooting the villain.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am no longer an intellectual film attender.

I only go to the movies to be transported and entertained, not to become depressed, or made anxious, worried, angry and disgusted. I want to AVOID the intense emotions that real life can bring and has brought over time. Being in the theatre makes all things more intense and causes my emotions to be more intense.

I have seen all kinds of film over the course of my life. And all kinds of theatre. I am not paying to be made to feel bad. Life is way too short at this time of my life.
Right On! I've felt this way for years. Same for books.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Sage

I only go to the movies to be entertained. horror movies are not my thing anymore. I still remember the days of the popcorn type entertainment movies. I am very selective, of what I will pay to see. To watch a dark movie like Nebraska, the actors have to be very good with a easy story line to be followed. Hence, I never did get the "Pulp Fiction" movie.

There are several movies out now that I would like to see. The "Wolf On Wall Street" is not one of them even though Lenny DeCaprio is a very good actor. The story line is too thin for even great actors, to make this film look good. according to one review.

What was Marty thinking, when he directed this movie?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Platinum member

I like a film that punches me in the stomach a little and makes me think about it for days afterward. Good examples from the past are Sophie's Choice, Shindler's List, and Apocalypse Now.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Default Back to the movie itself

I saw it yesterday. IT IS NOT A MOVIE YOU WOULD TAKE YOUR WIFE TO SEE. I'm surprised they found any "name" actors for the movie. I guess this is another example of how some actors will do anything for work and money. I give it ALL THE THUMBS DOWN you could give, and I'm not offended easily. Definitely not a movie for mixed company.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Location: Little Rock AR - San Diego CA - Memphis TN - Ft Myers FL - Macon GA, Roswell GA - TV St Charles

On IMDB (Internet Movie Database) 3560 people who saw the movie rated it 8.9 out of 10.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I never stay very long around people who use the F word all the time. It must be a lifestyle that I'm just totally not familiar with.

It's sad---very few good entertaining movies any more. Depressing reviews.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.