100 Greatest Songs. (US, Europe, Canada)

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default 100 Greatest Songs. (US, Europe, Canada)

What would be your list of the Greatest 100 Songs? I am positive someone in a country like India, Japan, and maybe even Australia would have many other picks than us in the US/Canada and Europe.

I Googled some of these lists from various music critics and they were all over the place. They did, however, have a significant number of songs by the Beatles, Elvis, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, the Who, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, etc.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Rolling Stone magazine put out a special 500 Greatest Songs of All Time edition a few years back. Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone was selected as number one. The Beatles Day In A Life was the top Beatles song.

But all these list really do is sell magazines and create a lot of controversy and arguments. They lose all credibility with me when they start having things by Jay-Z and Fifty Cent included.

500 Greatest Songs of All Time | Rolling Stone
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Rolling Stone magazine put out a special 500 Greatest Songs of All Time edition a few years back. Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone was selected as number one. The Beatles Day In A Life was the top Beatles song.

But all these list really do is sell magazines and create a lot of controversy and arguments. They lose all credibility with me when they start having things by Jay-Z and Fifty Cent included.

500 Greatest Songs of All Time | Rolling Stone
Good point. So much of art appreciation seems to come from an emotional connection to it. Something that comes from the heart and never the head. Seems to depend a lot on what you were doing when you fell in love with the song and whatever kind of emotional bound you have to it.

I can see some groups having that kind of connection to the songs of Fifty Cent and Jay-Z. They do not connect with me all that much because I never really had the kind of experiences they are singing about.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Good point. So much of art appreciation seems to come from an emotional connection to it. Something that comes from the heart and never the head. Seems to depend a lot on what you were doing when you fell in love with the song and whatever kind of emotional bound you have to it.

I can see some groups having that kind of connection to the songs of Fifty Cent and Jay-Z. They do not connect with me all that much because I never really had the kind of experiences they are singing about.
I've always maintained that whatever music was popular when you were in high school will be the music that stays with you for your entire life. For me it's the Beatles and the rest of the British invasion but I have a friend several years younger who loves techno pop. I think that techno pop is one of the least emotional types of music that exists but this guy almost gets misty eyed over DEVO.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Platinum member

I agree with Winston. The same with me. Even though certain groups are not on your play lists anymore, it is good to hear Dave Clark 5, The Animals or Searches once in a while. Ditto to The Four Seasons, Beachboys and certain Motown. But I also admit that groups like The Eagles, singers Rod Stewart and Billy Joel are an important part of my resume. But if I had to choose one era, the mid sixties are the best. PS I was born in 1948.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Veteran member

There are so many reasons for liking a certain song so it is difficult to select 100 songs. It wouldn't mean anything to other people. For example I have a special memory for "Love Letters in the Sand" by Pat Boone I heard back in 1957 via a short wave radio from Galveston, Texas. My I-Pod currently has 17,825 songs and I love putting it on shuffle to hear what comes on as it can be classical, country to rock. I do not however have rap music. I don't get it though my son says some are pure modern urban poetry. My Pandora app carries George Jones, Hank Snow, Jussi Bjorling, Matt Monroe, Sonny James, Pat Boone, John Coltrane, Charles Aznavour, Julio Iglesias, Julie London, Anne Murray, Dean Martin, Elvis Presley, Muddy Waters. With these lists, shouldn't be difficult to get 100 songs I like not necessary the best but at least the type of music I prefer.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Platinum member

Hey Yori. You forgot to mention Kyu Sakmoto. Don't know what he was singing about but he did have a beautiful voice.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Sage

According to my itunes top 50 plays:

Dixie Chicks 5 songs

Bob Dylan 4 songs

Willie Nelson 4 songs

Barbara Streisand 3 songs

Al Bowlly 3 songs

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I've always maintained that whatever music was popular when you were in high school will be the music that stays with you for your entire life.
I agree with you Doc. However, having an older brother, I really, REALLY enjoy the harmony of DOO-WOP !

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.