15 Songs That Defined the Boomer Generation.

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I agree about "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and his Comets. First rock n roll song I ever heard and it drove me wild! There was a movie by the name of Blackboard Jungle, with Rock Around the Clock & Jailhouse Rock as theme songs, about a school in New York (I think Brooklyn). I was never a fan of Elvis but Bill Haley recorded "Jailhouse Rock" before Elvis.
I found this on Wikipedia which agrees that "Rock Around the Clock" was the first Rock and Roll song:

"Their first session, on April 12, 1954, yielded "Rock Around the Clock", which would go on to become Haley's biggest hit, and one of the most important records in rock and roll history.

Although Haley's "Shake, Rattle and Roll" never achieved the same level of historical importance as "Rock Around the Clock", it actually predated it as the first major international rock and roll hit, although it did not attain the Number 1 position in the American charts, but became his first gold record."
Closed Thread

Tags
boomer, 2-24-1959, guess, born, songs, defined, generation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.