Alternative to Classic Rock - Suggestions Please

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2020, 05:00 PM
Default Alternative to Classic Rock - Suggestions Please

I love classic rock and always will. But I want to find an alternative (or two or three) that I will still enjoy and will seem fresh to me. It can be rock (just not constant classic rock), or other styles of music. It would be nice if it was somewhat current. I'd like to listen to music that is fairly new, but I'm not eliminating any genres. Heck, I even listen to a little classical on occasion.

Ideally I'd like to find a playlist, station or something similar on Amazon Music Unlimited. But I would consider other alternatives.

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:14 PM
Veteran member

Classic rock and prog are my first loves, but in the late '70s and '80s, I developed a serious appreciation of punk and post punk. To this day, I still follow bands in that vein. So in my opinion, the best current and relatively new ish bands that can be more or less traced back to that category include Interpol, the Editors, the National, War on Drugs, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes (more like folk prog) and the Killers. To the untrained ear, they probably just sound like mellow rock that's a bit more intricate. Happy listening!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

I like Jack Johnson, you might try some of his music.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:55 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,249 Times in 362 Posts

Try blues rock. Search Joe Bonnamassa on you tube and listen to a few for free to see if it is for you.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 11-18-2020, 08:06 PM

You like the funk?

You like Bootsy?

Intro by Iggy Pop

Bootsy Collins - Iggy Pop Intro (World Wide Funk) - YouTube

Old 11-18-2020, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
I love classic rock and always will. But I want to find an alternative (or two or three) that I will still enjoy and will seem fresh to me. It can be rock (just not constant classic rock), or other styles of music. It would be nice if it was somewhat current. I'd like to listen to music that is fairly new, but I'm not eliminating any genres. Heck, I even listen to a little classical on occasion.

Ideally I'd like to find a playlist, station or something similar on Amazon Music Unlimited. But I would consider other alternatives.

I love classic rock. I love most of the 70s and 80s rock. I love some of the 90s rock. I've just heard it SO MUCH. My favorite band is Tool and his side projects like A Perfect Circle and Puscifer.

So when I heard some stuff on XM some years ago, I found it compelling and dug a bit deeper. I'll probably get crucified here, but I found some really funky stuff that I think is great. It's specially great for long drives to/from FL.

There is a youtube Channel where the guy makes mixes of this stuff. It's Dub step, chill step, psybient, etc. It's just stuff you've never heard before and my wife hates it . The dude has hours and hours of it. Before you click on the link, let me get out of here so I can avoid the daggers coming at me Click on the guy's youtube channel and there's a ton more. It's not my channel. Ott Mix - Psybient / Dub - 432 Hz Download Link - YouTube
Old 11-18-2020, 08:52 PM

I love 60/70 classic rock & PROG! Check out facebook, several great prog sites!
Old 11-18-2020, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

I'll posit that there is no "alternative" to classic rock. Or, possibly, ALL music that isn't classic rock, is an alternative to classic rock.

I mean, it's kind of a weird question, if you think about it. Jazz is absolutely an alternative to classic rock. So is opera. And so is Tuvan throat singing (which I personally believe everyone capable of hearing, should hear at least once in their lives: Tuvan Throat Singing - YouTube )

I think I get stuck on the word "alternative." The implied question, by using that word is: What music is not classic rock? The answer is: everything else.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I have XM Sirius in my car, so I can jump from Ozzy's Boneyard, to Classic rock, to New Wave, the Cassette Years, Yacht Rock, Alt Nation to The Bridge. I have about 15 preset on XM that I jump around to all the time. Mostly just different forms of rock just a button apart.

When I'm at home I have a radio in the garage and one on the lanai. I listen to over-the-air stations. Orlando Sunny FM 104.5 plays only the 80's anything from Van Halen to Madonna, if was a hit in the 80's they play it.

WKTK might be what you're looking for, 98.5 Gainesville. They play only classic rock and new. I just found them last week, they were playing Aerosmith and the next song was Adelle, they're all over the map.

Another is US 102.3 Gainesville, they play southern rock and country. When you listen, it's really not a lot different. You'll hear Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, Tom Petty and then Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, whatever is current, they seem to all blend together.

In the house I have a 75" Smart TV and a killer surround sound all connected to the internet and paired to the youtube.com website. I use to collect concert DVD's and have about 300, although I haven't played any in years because I discovered youtube.com website. In the past ten years I've collected about 8,000 mostly live videos from every style, from soul, to disco, to every form of rock and various themes. Such as then and now, oldies still touring, bands I've seen, bands at the Savannah Center or the Sharon, any kind of idea I make a folder and have about 45 different ones. Right now I'm in tribute bands, I have about 5 folders and about 1500 videos of just tribute bands. I play for my wife and me every Friday night about 3 hours of music, and try to add about 30 or 40 new ones each week.

Here's a link to my llbrary on youtube, you'll need to scroll down past history and watch later, and you'll see about 20 folders, then click show more to see them all. You might have to log on, I'm not sure since I'm always logged on. Just pair your TV via the internet and you've have a concert on TV that was free.

https://www.youtube.com/feed/library

Last edited by John_W; 11-19-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:46 AM

Try Luke Bryan Radio on Pandora. Pretty smooth newer country. Nice change occasionally. Also Smooth jazz on Pandora. Pandora is free...
Old 11-19-2020, 06:03 AM

I've gone Contemporary Christian and haven't looked back.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:16 AM

You can go to Pandora or you tube ( free versions) and type in a bands name and they will play you a few of their songs and several more of similar genre. If you put a few names in you tube you will get a dozen or so and they will keep recommending songs.

I’m a hard rocker but my wife and I found a station on Sirius called Sirius XMU, the music is referred to as “Indie” referring to Independent or pre-label bands. Kind of bound to be Alternative bands.

Some previous graduates of this category: Arcade Fire, Artic Monkeys, The Cure, Death Cab for Cutie, Black Keys.

I think if you listened to “Royals” by Lorde and 10,000 Emerald Polls by Borns you get a general idea of the music style.

Note, you can also set up a radio station in Pandora and call it Indie and it will pick songs for you.

I find it soothing and melodious, I love listening to it, it’s a happy medium as my wife finds my Zeppelin to Metallica a little harsh, aka” scratchy music”
Old 11-19-2020, 06:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post

Try Western Swing. Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys are the most famous band in the genre, but among those currently performing, my favorites are Hot Club of Cowtown and Asleep at the Wheel.

Try Western/Cowboy music. You have to hear the band Riders in the Sky.

Try Gypsy Jazz or Gypsy Swing. Start with Django Reinhardt, one of the greatest guitarists ever. There are a lot of real gypsies still performing this in Europe. In the U.S., my favorite is the Hot Club of San Francisco. And try Pink Martini, too. They sing in a variety of languages.

Swing! I loved The Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, Tom Waits, and then I bought a record called Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook. I fell in love with the beautiful melodies, the witty lyrics, and of course the way they swing. She recorded a lot of great “Songbook” albums. This is your American heritage! This is what the troops loved when they fought in World War II. It’s called The Great American Songbook.

Choro. From Brazil, it is the parent of Bossa Nova. It’s a little like bluegrass and jazz meeting European 19th century polka and classical music. Start with the great mandolinist Jacob do Bandolim. Seriously fun music.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:29 AM
Default Classical Rap

Classical Rap has always been one of my favorites
Old 11-19-2020, 06:46 AM

Try The Marcus King Band young guy very talented.
Closed Thread

Tags
rock, classic, music, alternative, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.