American Idol?

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Sage
Arrow American Idol?

OK, I'll admit it. I'm an American Idol freak! And I know there are more of you out there!

What are you all thinking aboout the way this season's shaping up? With funny man Nick/Norman (all though I really do like this guy and he CAN sing!) And the other kid (the drama queen, can't think of his name) and last but now least, Tatiana! Wow, do I want to wring her screeching little neck!
But, begrudgingly I have to admit she has a very, very good voice. Sigh.

No one so far has taken my breath away, but then again, we haven't seen much singing! And what's with these "emotional" heart-tugging stories thrown in? There seems to be more and more of them.

But, I do get hooked on the show, so I know I'll watch the entire season. Now if you want to see something that takes your breath away, watch this video, sent to me by Rhonda, of this 6 year old girl (appearing on Britain's Got Talent) This video is amazing. Trust me, every note is perfection. Connie Talbot is simply stunning.

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/7383/1/

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/19214/1/

Last edited by chelsea24; 02-12-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Taltarzac
Default I also watch American Idol religiously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
OK, I'll admit it. I'm an American Idol freak! And I know there are more of you out there!

What are you all thinking aboout the way this season's shaping up? With funny man Nick/Norman (all though I really do like this guy and he CAN sing!) And the other kid (the drama queen, can't think of his name) and last but now least, Tatiana! Wow, do I want to wring her screeching little neck!
But, begrudgingly I have to admit she has a very, very good voice. Sigh.

No one so far has taken my breath away, but then again, we haven't seen much singing! And what's with these "emotional" heart-tugging stories thrown in? There seems to be more and more of them.

There was one disqualification from the Top 36 though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_Pacitti

But, I do get hooked on the show, so I know I'll watch the entire season. Now if you want to see something that takes your breath away, watch this video, sent to me by Rhonda, of this 6 year old girl (appearing on Britain's Got Talent) This video is amazing. Trust me, every note is perfection. Connie Talbot is simply stunning.

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/7383/1/

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/19214/1/
Here is a list of the top 36 contestants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol_(season_8)

I do not have any favorites yet but with some I do wonder what the judges were thinking about putting various people in and pushing others to come back in another season.

There was one disqualification though from the Top 36. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_Pacitti

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-12-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Sage

Article with one man's opinion of the top 36: http://blogs.courant.com/roger_catli...36-on-ido.html

Other good links on the right hand side of the article.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Default American Idol

I think it would be cool for the producers to put on an American Idol centered around seniors.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Default American Idol behind the scenes

My daughter tried out in season 2. I went with her to the auditions. They treated the kids like cattle and they were VERY rude. I never watchd it after being there. If you were ever a part of it, you wouldn't either seeing what goes on behind the scenes. Perhaps it has changed since then but it is doubtful. They'd do and say anything for a laugh or ratings at the expense of those poor kids who's dreams were shattered. They'd insult the kids just to get a reaction that would be good on TV.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Taltarzac
Default I had heard stories like this too from others who had tried out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylvita View Post
My daughter tried out in season 2. I went with her to the auditions. They treated the kids like cattle and they were VERY rude. I never watchd it after being there. If you were ever a part of it, you wouldn't either seeing what goes on behind the scenes. Perhaps it has changed since then but it is doubtful. They'd do and say anything for a laugh or ratings at the expense of those poor kids who's dreams were shattered. They'd insult the kids just to get a reaction that would be good on TV.
I cannot see how they could audition the numbers (100,000 + in 8 or so cities each season) they usually throw out without just catering to ratings.

I heard that most of the people who audition at American Idol never actually see Paula, Randy, Simon and whomever the other judge(s) may be, but meet with representatives who give these people maybe 30 seconds to show what they can do. Then, if you make it past the representatives, you stand in front of the judges. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-13-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

Disney World's Hollywood Studios now has a new attraction called "The Idol Experience." They have a stage with judges, each spectator seat has buttons that you push to vote for your favorite. They have auditions on a daily basis. I think there are 3 shows during the day and the last one around 7:00 has all the winners during the day performing again. Whoever wins gets a "ticket" to bypass all the lines at an actual American Idol audition. We were at Disney a few months ago and we saw Jordan Sparks making a music video on the streets of Hollywood Studios that they show during the "Experience" . Great attraction for us Idol fans. As far as my favorite contestant this season--haven't really made up my mind yet.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Sage

Of course they need to treat them like cattle - with 60K - 100K tryouts at each city - do the math.

And of course they can't all sit in front of Simon and the others. Not enough time in the day.

Are some people made sport of? Again, of course! But if you count those that are 'featured' either in a positive or negative light they represent less than 1/10 of 1% of the hopefuls. A few have made a career of being made sport of (William Hung for example). Most contestants just move through the line, sit in front of some 'talent scout' for a song snippet and are sent packing. No cameras, no interviews, nothing. Does that sound like your experience Cylvita?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Gold member

Oh dear...I am confessing...I watch the show religiously...addicted to be sure.
I heard someone of the final 36 was replaced, disqualified because she had a previous record contract......
Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Sage

Not a previous record contract because that is allowed. In fact a few of the 36 have had previous deals.

The problem was some sort of conflict with Nineteen Records which is the producer of Idol.

Follow the link I gave above for more info.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Gold member
Default Not a Good Start

We really love A.I. and look forward to each season. In fact, I play in a golf league on Tuesday evenings, and I always leave the 19th hole early (much to my fellow league members' surprise) so I can catch A.I. at 8:00PM. But I'm afraid that the first few episodes of the current season have left me cold. The talent has not been shown (but I understand that there is a lot more talent there - especially from the female side - that the producers have been "keeping under wraps), and the production has been abysmal. They are giving way too much airtime to train wrecks like the crying kid from Malone, NY, the bikini girl and to that queen of the drama queens, Tatiana. They are all an embarrassment. Also, have you noticed that before many commercial breaks, they show you what is going to happen in the next segment? This is a disease that has spread across a lot of "reality" shows, and it's an insult to the viewers' intelligence. I only watched a half-hour of Wednesday's two-hour final selection show, as I just couldn't stand to watch and listen to the "judges" trying to inject some suspense into their decision announcements to the contestants. Sorry Randy, Paula and new girl, not one of you is an actor, and you don't have the ability to create suspense. You come across as amateurish and I find myself saying "Get to it and stop the bull!" I actually feel sorry for some of the emotioinal contestants who have to listen to this unprofessional behavior from the judges. If this is what the producers have come up with to increase their audience, they are going to be sorely mistaken. I'm afraid that American Idol has jumped the shark (remember Fonzie?). I'll watch the first real show next week, but if it's anything like the earlier 2009 shows, I'm gone. I really hate to sound like a grump, but . . . . . I guess I am one. Has anyone else been as disappointed as me?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 PM

I agree with Collie on the suspense factor but I must also admit that I am such a huge fan that I look past it and thoroughly enjoy the show. I haven't settled on a favorite yet, but I do rther like the Welder and the Oil Rig dude. But I do hope that drama queen from NY and Tatiana get bounced soon. If I have to hear Tatiana scream and laugh and screech throughout much of the season I may have to watch the show with my sound off.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Sage
Arrow That's odd.

It's funny you both should mention the suspense factor. It didn't bother me until my husband pointed it out. It really annoyed him and thought it was almost cruel. Then it did start to get to me. Didn't they do that on other shows or was I just not paying attention. Really would have liked to see more singing and less "heart-felt" stories. I don't understand that part at all!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Gold member
Talking

Thanks Russ...now I see the conflict and reason she was bounced off.

Exactly Chels...all the drama is schlocky and so annoying.....let's get on with the singing and see who starts to look like an American Idol.......certainly not that annoying ,shreaking Tatiana...what were they thinking putting her in the running. Her voice isn't bad but her personality is just out right annoying......
Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Its show business guys, show business!!!

This might be a good time to tell you that i'm being paid under the table to not let my granddaughter enter the competition as she would run away with it..........

Thought you should know that it is rigged.....think about it , its makes sense , how else could I afford to live in the villages,,,,

affluent fumar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.