Canadien rock band Rush!

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2021, 05:19 PM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts
Default Canadien rock band Rush!

Made you look, didn’t I? The COVID thing was just clickbait. Note the use of “possible link”. The media loves phrases like “could be” and “possibly linked to” because anything could be a possible link to anything else unless you can absolutely prove otherwise. They can invent some great headlines that the fearful & gullible public will gobble up like a starving man at a feast!

So what about Rush? I just finished watching (for the 3rd time) the 2010 documentary, ‘Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage’ on Netflix. I give the documentary (and Rush) 5-Stars and 2-Thumbs up!

It is refreshing to watch a behind-the-scenes story of a band who deeply care for one another as family, put each other’s well being ahead of business, whose past is not littered with drug & sex scandals, defied the record companies, and made their music their way.

My favorite parts (if I had to choose) included the high school video footage, Gene Simmons (he is too funny) & Jack Black’s humorous but insightful comments, how Rush came together putting the business aside when Neil Peart’s daughter & then his wife both died within a short period of time, standing up to the record label executives... actually the whole thing was my favorite part!

I took a special interest in Neil Peart as in 1971, I played drums in a band in high school (we were named Heinous so you can imagine the type of rock we played) and in a more classic rock club band in my early 20s. It is amazing that at the pinnacle of his career he never wanted to stop improving and took lessons to learn & try different techniques.

In my opinion Rush stood the test of time better than any other band. Yes, the Rolling Stones, Arrowsmith and a number of others are still going strong but unlike the Stones (as an example), Rush did not need to communicate with each other through attorneys, endure sex scandals, the Altamont tragedy, drug arrests, heroin addictions, numerous replacements of band members and become daily gossip fodder for the tabloids.

By not joining the list of “bad boys” in the rock industry such as the Stones, Van Halen, Ozzy, and more, Rush was marginalized by the music industry & press. Their music did not conform or relate to any other style of rock, they didn’t write music just to get airplay, and they were just too darn nice and boring. Nice guys with uneventful lifestyles don’t sell newspapers & magazines!

On the website ‘Outsiders And Misfits’ in an article entitled ‘Rush: A Rock Band for Introverts’, author A.E. Westerling relates that “Rush never tried to make a hit song and they simply didn’t care about being radio-friendly. Nevertheless, they have sold 40 million records worldwide including 24 gold records and 14 platinum records, placing them fifth behind The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Kiss, and Aerosmith on the list of rock bands with the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums.”

In addition Rush was nominated for seven Grammy Awards, won several Juno Awards, and won an International Achievement Award at the 2009 SOCAN Awards. The band was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1994 and FINALLY (for what it’s worth) the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013. Just goes to show you, nice guys don’t always finish last!

Rush ceased large-scale touring at the end of 2015, and Lifeson announced in January 2018 that the band would not continue. Sadly on January 7, 2020, Peart died of glioblastoma, a type of brain cancer at the age of 67.

Many other hugely popular bands such as Boston, Styx, Queen, etc. have continued cashing in on their name & to relive their glory days but missing some or almost all the original members and without any new releases for decades.

There could and would be no replacing Neil Peart. Each member was integral to the whole. Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson would remain true to the memory of Rush.

Dave Dallas
Village of Bradford

NOTE: I should have used 'Canadian' instead of 'Canadien' in the title. A Canadien is a citizen of Canada of French origin. My wife has family in Quebec who are Canadiens. Rush is a Canadian band.

Be sure to check out ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band From Texas also on Netflix. This is another group of nice guys whose music was marginalized by the critics.

Neil Peart inside his workplace
The Villages Florida

Alex Lifeson
The Villages Florida

Geddy Lee
The Villages Florida

Last edited by dhdallas; 03-06-2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Misuse of Canadien (French) instead of Canadian (English)
Old 03-05-2021, 05:43 PM
Veteran member

Although I was never a fan (you can't follow everybody!), I do appreciate their talent. Thanks for the review. By the way, I bet a lot of people had to ask you what heinous meant, right?
Old 03-05-2021, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,514 Times in 3,106 Posts

FIRST thing that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread:

No, his mind is not for rent to any god or government.
Always hopeful, yet discontent; he knows changes aren’t permanent.
But change is.

Second thing that came to mind: you spelled Canadian wrong.

Love RUSH. Never saw them live, wish I had.

Also I was in a band when I lived in Boston, we were a street band comprised of any random 3-8 of around 15 musicians at any given moment. We were called, collectively, the Dead Cowboys. Some of us played for the American Indian Council fundraising event which featured Floyd (Red Crow) Westerman. Most of the time you could see us outside the Harvard Coop or in the plaza in front of the Red Line stairs.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Made you look, didn’t I? The COVID thing was just clickbait. Note the use of “possible link”. The media loves phrases like “could be” and “possibly linked to” because anything could be a possible link to anything else unless you can absolutely prove otherwise. They can invent some great headlines that the fearful & gullible public will gobble up like a starving man at a feast...]
So you’re no better than the media!!??!!

Just kidding. My wife and I are big Rush fans too.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Love Rush, love Rush, love Rush!

Last saw them preform on Clockwork Angles tour. Hubby met Neil Peart at a motorcycle event. I read his book and cried when he passed away. Such talent. His lyrics were pure poetry. Good boys can be so much fun, and without the unwelcome side effects.

Before we moved to TV hubby asked, do they play Rush at the town squares? I said I hoped that soon they would. Not the easiest music to dance the Electric Slide to, but you know those dancers, they can do anything.

Last edited by Velvet; 03-06-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:35 PM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

But change is.

Canadien is the French spelling of Canadian used to designate French citizens of Canada. My wife's family are are French Canadiens but the Rush members are not, they are Canadians. I did not misspell it. I misused it. Good catch!

Last edited by dhdallas; 03-05-2021 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Adding a compliment to the person who caught my misuse of Canadien
Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,514 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Love Rush, love Rush, love Rush!

Last saw them preform on Clockwork Angles tour. Hubby met Neil Perth at a motorcycle event. I read his book and cried when he passed away. Such talent. His lyrics were pure poetry. Good boys can be so much fun, and without the unwelcome side effects.

Before we moved to TV hubby asked, do they play Rush at the town squares? I said I hoped that soon they would. Not the easiest music to dance the Electric Slide to, but you know those dancers, they can do anything.
I shook my head in disgust when I saw them doing some kind of boot scootin' boogie to Led Zep last year one night when the Hooligans were in Spanish Springs. Sacrilegious. They have no shame.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
I shook my head in disgust when I saw them doing some kind of boot scootin' boogie to Led Zep last year one night when the Hooligans were in Spanish Springs. Sacrilegious. They have no shame.
One life, might as well have fun... but it sounds a bit non sequitur.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Rush is one of my favorites. Peart was amazing RIP. Wonder how long it took to set up that drum set and take down
Old 03-06-2021, 07:08 AM
Default Rush

There is trouble in the forest, there is unrest with the trees. I got to meet the three of them while walking up the hill in my powder baby blue tuxedo for my high school prom in 1976. They were playing the Pekin, Illinois hockey arena down the hill from my high school. I spotted Geddy, as he is quite distinctive, and told him how much I loved 2112. My date, Jan, had no idea who they were, but I did. I asked them why they were up the hill and not down at the arena tuning up and they laughed and responded that they were checking out the girls in their long dresses. I introduced them to Jan and the other members of my styling group and they were incredibly cordial. Nice guys.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:48 AM

Saw them 5 times. Peart's lyrics were SO poignant. Still inspire me.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:01 AM

"Time stands still" is the perfect philosophical villages song.

Summer's going fast
Nights growing colder
Children growing up
Old friends growing older
Freeze this moment
A little bit longer
Make each sensation
A little bit stronger

I'm not looking back
But I want to look around me now
See more of the people
And the places that surround me now
Time stands still
Old 03-06-2021, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

But change is.

He spelled it the way French Canadians spell it. Perhaps he is Québécois.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 03-06-2021 at 10:24 AM. Reason: P.S. After scrolling further I see this hunch was right. C’est chouette, Dallas!
Old 03-06-2021, 09:08 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

So enjoyed watching Rush's concerts. Neil Peart was such an amazing drummer. Mesmerizing to watch him on his massive set. RIP I'll have to see that documentary one day. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Canadien is the French spelling of Canadian used to designate French citizens of Canada. My wife's family are are French Canadiens but the Rush members are not, they are Canadians. I did not misspell it. I misused it. Good catch!
Je pense que vous l’avez mal orthographié, je pense qu’il est orthographié comme ceci; Canadienne

Tags
band, rush, rock, music, stones

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.