Classical Music Suggestions

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp
Default Classical Music Suggestions

It seems that in my "mature" years, I have started to enjoy classical music. I would like to expand my itunes classical music collection and would like some suggestions. I seem to prefer classical and romantic over baroque so far. I don't have very much, but so far I have a few Mozart symphonies, including Jupiter, and Beethovens 5th and 7th symphonies. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Veteran member

Beethoven's Emperor Piano Concerto is by far my all time favorite among many others. Still get goosebumps listening to it.

LW888
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Eternal Member

If you were a fan of Flash Gordon serials, get Liszt's Les Preludes. Also, you'll enjoy Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exposition and Night on Bald Mountain. There are few things as enjoyable as the French Impressionists -- Debussy's Clair de Lune (and all of his piano music) plus La Mer....Ravel's Bolero and Satie's Gymnopédies. Want stirring with a bit of dissonance...Stravinsky's Firebird Suite (don't get the Stravinsky conducted version...it's very sterile). Love Americana - Copland's Appalachian Spring, Billy the Kid and Rodeo, also his Fanfare for the Common Man. THAT'LL KEEP YOU BUSY!

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

My favorites are Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. Also his harpsichord concertos are awesome. In fact pretty much everything by Bach blows me away.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Thanks everyone. Those suggestions will shortly use up most of the iTunes gift card I got for Christmas. It certainly has been a long strange trip from the Dead and the airplane and the Beatles and the stones to Mozart!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
Thanks everyone. Those suggestions will shortly use up most of the iTunes gift card I got for Christmas. It certainly has been a long strange trip from the Dead and the airplane and the Beatles and the stones to Mozart!
I am hoping you have heard The Villages Philharmonic, and the Villages Voices. They both are wonderfully talented groups of people and the Church on the Square has delightful acoustic qualities.

Just WOW is all I can say.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

Vivaldi is my favorite. Especially The Four Seasons.
I also recommend reading the book "Classical Music for Dummies"
When my husband and I first starting listening to classical music, we both read it.
It's filled with tons of great suggestions and you will quickly determine what you like and don't like. It comes with a CD.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Platinum member
Default So much music to choose from!

Brahm's 3rd Symphony is my very favorite. Tchaikovky's 6th Symphony. Beethoven's 9th, of course - - - (I got a speeding ticket one time because I got so excited listening to it that I didn't notice my speed increasing). Vivaldi's Concerto for two trumpets is very energizing. Mozart's 40th Symphony.
Listen to the Mozart Requiem and then watch the movie "Amadeus" - it will give you chills! Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto. "Nessun Dorma" sung by Luciano Pavarotti.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up My Favorite

I like Rochmaninoff's Concerto #2 in C Minor the best of all.!!! It is
very hard to play and many can't play it. There is a good CD out
played by Van Cliburn. It has 3 movements and with the final being
a terrific ending. You would proabably recognize it as it has been
played in the background to a number of movies. It is by far a
wonderful Concerto to sit back, relax and just listen..
Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Gold member

Try this web radio station if you like classical music. It is free and you can purchase music if you want to.

WCPE: Listen Now

The station is WCPE.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Try this web radio station if you like classical music. It is free and you can purchase music if you want to.

WCPE: Listen Now

The station is WCPE.
Barry -- I agree with batman911; WCPE is an excellent classical music station broadcasting out of North Carolina that you can listen to online. I often listen to it here in Chicago. My favorite classical composers: Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Schubert, Brahms, Dvorak, Rachmaninoff, Barber, Copland.

I wonder if the public libraries in The Villages have classical CD's that can be checked out? That is one way to explore a composer's music before buying it.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Barry -- I agree with batman911; WCPE is an excellent classical music station broadcasting out of North Carolina that you can listen to online. I often listen to it here in Chicago. My favorite classical composers: Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, Schubert, Brahms, Dvorak, Rachmaninoff, Barber, Copland.

I wonder if the public libraries in The Villages have classical CD's that can be checked out? That is one way to explore a composer's music before buying it.
Every composer Schaunburgr listed, although I find Brahms a bit heavy. If you like Night On Bald Mountain, mentioned by someone earlier, you might like Dvorak's New World Symphony.

Also, Give Rhapsody in Blue a whirl for a little more modern feel. Also, try looking some of this up on You Tube. I had a hankering for the whole Handel's
Messiah the other night, not just the choruses, and found it there.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Platinum member

When I am online, my background is almost always the feed from WUFT | News and Public Media for North Central Florida from the University of Florida in Gainesville the University of Florida's NPR outlet. Online the feed is virtually all classical music, which I have missed since coming to TV from St. Louis!

I listen to the more standard NPR feed when I'm in my car, but the classical music isn't really available elsewhere, yet!

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.