Entertainment at the squares...

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Entertainment at the squares...

We have been cruising he squares this week and I have been a little disappointed at the entertainment. I know they can't have the Eagles playing every night, but it seems some of the entertainment is, well, not so good. A one man band, playing piano to a sound track is not really my idea of entertainment and from the sparse attendance (LSL) I don't believe I'm alone in this thinking.

What's the general consensus on the entertainment? Do any residents participate on the entertainment committee?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

One thing to remember is that the "better" band will be at the square where it is market night (M/W is Spanish Springs; T/T is LSL) -- they want people to buy from the merchants and need good entertainment to draw them in. Weekends usually have decent groups at both squares. I don't think there is an entertainment committee, but won't swear to it.

I'm assuming you went to LSL Monday night. Besides it being market night at SS, Savannah Center had something going on as well. This is also factored into who plays where.

Another thing to consider checking out is the Church on the Square. They have a lovely variety of events from classical to jazz to folk, some free or very low priced on Sundays.

That is one of the several advantages of TV -- if you don't like what's happening in one spot, you can go to another and find something enjoyable. My favorite band, Shepherd's Pie, only plays at Katie Belle's (and usually only once a month sigh).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I find it amazing that there is so much live entertainment within TV EVERY DAY! At both squares, at Church on the Square, at Katie Bell's, inside several restaurants, at the country clubs, etc., etc., etc.,

And, there is music to fit everyone's likings. I appreciate the abundent variety.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 AM

What is going to happen when The Villages is sold out? The powers that be, won't need to have free entertainment to draw new home buyers here. 3 vacant squares!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Platinum member

That ain't gonna happen! The entertainment is funded by the merchants at the squares, not the developer. The merchants pay for the entertainment to bring customers to the squares to visit their stores, not to buy houses!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
What is going to happen when The Villages is sold out? The powers that be, won't need to have free entertainment to draw new home buyers here. 3 vacant squares!
The Villages is not an ordinary development where selling the last house means the developers pack up and leave. Even when all of the villages are built and self-governed, the developers will have a major presence because THEY OWN ALL OF THE COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES. This guarantees a huge income stream from commercial leases forever, provided they keep everything wonderful. Happy residents are happy consumers. The developers' best interests are our best interests; that's why we're here.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Sage

IMHO the other 2 factors that come into play are the fact that the "family" actually lives here, and they own the liquor distributor that all those bars buy from. There has to be a huge revenue stream from booze alone!!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Gold member

HmmM, that (Morse family owns liquor distributor) must be the reason there isn't much variety of draft beer available. Would be nice to see a couple of microbrews on tap. Hope they see this post

Back to entertainment. I mentioned before that there is a new brass band starting up (actually started last year) that will be performing occasionally. Not at the squares, although the concert style music they mostly play would be a perfect match (IMO anyway) for Church on the Square in the future (hymns, marches, classical, some pop (Beatles song "When I'm 64" might be their signature song, not sure). First concert date is set to be Monday, November 15th, venue to be determined.

Band is called Celebration Brass Band. British style brass band. They are still looking for a few good brass players and percussion. This is high level playing, so they will likely audition in some form when adding additional members. Ohioboy plays cornet and was/still is involved with a champion level brass band in Columbus. He is thrilled about playing at a similar level down here.

PM me if you think you may be interested and I can put you in touch with the organizers. They are rehearsing on Monday nights. Probably you could first sit in on a rehearsal if you are wondering if you might fit in.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Sage

Hi Memason,

I agree that the free music on the squares is hit and miss. If we're in the mood to go to the square on an evening when neither square features a notable performer, we'll usually go to SS. The talented regular line-dancers there are a joy to watch, even if the music is just so-so.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
HmmM, that (Morse family owns liquor distributor) must be the reason there isn't much variety of draft beer available. Would be nice to see a couple of microbrews on tap. Hope they see this post
The Morse family own Kindred Spirits - not the other distributors.

The refreshment kiosk areas in the squares have little room to have a lot of variety. And I suspect that there is not a great demand (or requests) for the microbrews in the other establishments. When the Villages had their own brewery in SS, only the Villages owned establishments carried their microbrews.

The refreshment kiosk areas in the squares have little room to have a lot of variety. And I suspect that there is not a great demand (or requests) for the microbrews in the other establishments. When the Villages had their own brewery in SS, only the Villages owned establishments carried the microbrews.

Now I will hear from the four or five microbrew drinkers on TOTV about the demand. Personally I am a Budweiser drinker - the red, white and blue can. No lite or substitutes allowed.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.

Last edited by zcaveman; 09-21-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
That ain't gonna happen! The entertainment is funded by the merchants at the squares, not the developer. The merchants pay for the entertainment to bring customers to the squares to visit their stores, not to buy houses!
While the essence of this post is correct, I don't believe that it is factually correct. I believe that the developer does pay for the entertainment and as such controls the entertainment organization which books the entertainment. However, since the entertainment draws the crowds, the merchants are willing to pay more for the rent and hence they are indirectly paying for the entertainment. The developer is motivated to have good entertainment for two reasons: get higher rents from his commercial establishments and to attract new buyers for his houses. Once buildout is achieved, only the higher rent factor will provide any monetary motivation.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Sage

When I mentioned liquor distributors previously, I was not referring to retail outlets, but to THE wholesaler.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Are you sure the builder is making enough $$ from these businesses. I see the potential for a catastrophe when buildout is achieved. I want to buy but buildout consequences scare the #### out of me.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe the merchants pay for the entertainment in the squares, not the developer, what does gmoney think???....gn
Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Sage

I really believe that the builder is comitted to building a self-sustaining quality community, and is making some serious money in the process. I personally feel that the family is brilliant, and wouldn,t do anything to even make the golden goose even a little nervous. Having been involved with several developments in South Florida, I feel that the quality of construction, and the quality of life are both there, and won't go away in my lifetime.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.