Entertainment at the squares...

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Platinum member

The family has a big stake in the community and that will continue after build-out.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectreron View Post
Are you sure the builder is making enough $$ from these businesses. I see the potential for a catastrophe when buildout is achieved. I want to buy but buildout consequences scare the #### out of me.
The irony is, NOT building out would scare the hell out of me! I've lived in a subdivision that died, due to the economic downturn....builders went out of business and the developer went bankrupt. Residents ended up with "special assessments" to maintain the common areas....nothing you could do but pay or they would put a lien on your home. Opportunity came for me to move to Germany and a nice buyout from my company...I was outta there!

Anyway, back to entertainment. Please understand, I think the entertainment in the squares is the coolest thing ever. It's one of the things that makes TV, TV. I'm hoping we can move from early 60's to the 70's soon.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Platinum member

The Schwartz/Moorse family have become legends. When Levitt built houses on Long Island he became part of history. The Schwatz/Moorse family have done what Levitt had done ten times over. I believe they have more than enough $$$ and I doubt they would tarnish and destroy all they accomplished and walk away from a Miracle. This is their child and a parent would never walk away from their child.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
HmmM, that (Morse family owns liquor distributor) must be the reason there isn't much variety of draft beer available. Would be nice to see a couple of microbrews on tap. Hope they see this post

Back to entertainment. I mentioned before that there is a new brass band starting up (actually started last year) that will be performing occasionally. Not at the squares, although the concert style music they mostly play would be a perfect match (IMO anyway) for Church on the Square in the future (hymns, marches, classical, some pop (Beatles song "When I'm 64" might be their signature song, not sure). First concert date is set to be Monday, November 15th, venue to be determined.

Band is called Celebration Brass Band. British style brass band. They are still looking for a few good brass players and percussion. This is high level playing, so they will likely audition in some form when adding additional members. Ohioboy plays cornet and was/still is involved with a champion level brass band in Columbus. He is thrilled about playing at a similar level down here.

PM me if you think you may be interested and I can put you in touch with the organizers. They are rehearsing on Monday nights. Probably you could first sit in on a rehearsal if you are wondering if you might fit in.
Buisness can servive with your support...There was a micro brewry there at Augustines, but apparently there was not enough people supporting it so it went to the wayside....Like voting ,support your local buisness...
Old 09-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Sage

Z - I thought you said you like beer - but then you mentioned Budweiser. Can't have it both ways
Old 09-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Sage

The best entertainment in the squares, which also draws the most people, is at the same night as venders. It is also the time where there is the least parking because after the venders set up they block all parking spaces near the square. Can't the venders set up and then park somewhere else? Most businesses require employees to park at the far end of the parking lot so the customers can park near. Actually once you've seen all the vendors its always the same. We usually will go to a square that doesn't have vendors that night.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 PM

I may be wrong, hopefully I am. But I think the developer is in the business for one reason and one reason only---Make money! Who said that the business's pay for the entertainment? There aren't enough around Spanish Springs to pay the bill. I don't think the Morse family gives a royal squat what happens here, once it is built out. All this discussion about the liquor stores and selling booze on the square, it's nothing compared to selling 400K houses. Anyone that buys here and thinks this utopia will go on forever, should wake up! What about the championship courses, do you really think the developer will really stay in the golf business once there are no more houses to build? You just can't make millions owning golf courses that charge less that $150 per play.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Z - I thought you said you like beer - but then you mentioned Budweiser. Can't have it both ways
OOOh that hurts!!!! But to me there is beer and there is skunk water. There are very few beers that I will drink other than Bud. I will go thirsty first - unless there is some Boone's Farm Apple or Red Ripple!!!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Sage

Exactly Z - Didn't realize you cared for skunk water.

At least I know what to get for your birthday!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I may be wrong, hopefully I am. But I think the developer is in the business for one reason and one reason only---Make money! Who said that the business's pay for the entertainment? There aren't enough around Spanish Springs to pay the bill. I don't think the Morse family gives a royal squat what happens here, once it is built out. All this discussion about the liquor stores and selling booze on the square, it's nothing compared to selling 400K houses. Anyone that buys here and thinks this utopia will go on forever, should wake up! What about the championship courses, do you really think the developer will really stay in the golf business once there are no more houses to build? You just can't make millions owning golf courses that charge less that $150 per play.
WOW.... Where did that come from???

As for the Morse family and TV.... I believe the phrase "Leaving a Legacy" has some relevance here.

Don't know..... Just saying.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
You just can't make millions owning golf courses that charge less that $150 per play.
As a golfer I can tell you that thousands of courses around the country survive (or even thrive) on greens fees of far less. I don't know the exact amount of profit but who says that a golf course has to clear 'millions' to be successful?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I'm kinda wondering why you moved here with your prophecy of doom and gloom!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I think Harold Schwartz cared about leaving a legacy. I'm not convinced Gary Morse and his siblings do. However, I do believe the music in the squares will continue. The Morses do have a vested interest to keep the squares active long after the build out. They own the storefronts. If the stores don't make money, they don't make money. Also, remember that a direct percentage of profits goes directly into a fund for entertainment. Another factor is the resale market. Even when all of TV is built, people will die; people will move. I can't imagine the Morses not wanting a piece of that pie and it will be a BIG piece. So, regardless of buildout, there are some very good reasons for the Morses to keep things going, especially healthy town squares.

BTW -- One fact that few people are aware of is that the Morses pretty much fund the entertainment at the Church on the Squares. Whenever there out out-of-town entertainers, they are put up gratis in the cottages and rentals; their food is free. They subsidize the cost of the entertainment -- most of the ticket costs are used to pay for facility clean up, etc. So, maybe I'm totally wrong and legacy does matter to them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Sage

I believe in the free enterprise system. If the Morse family pull up roots and leave their capital genius, so be it. They aren't printing monies that aren't already being supplied by the residents of TV. They just knew how to use the system to the advantage of their own families, some 80,000 residents, numerous merchants and the population of outlying areas.

IMHO, the CDDs or special form of governement will work as they were established to work. With the genius we've all experienced on this forum in the way of individuals, life experiences and ideas; I have faith we can work through the worst case scenario.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
I believe in the free enterprise system. If the Morse family pull up roots and leave their capital genius, so be it. They aren't printing monies that aren't already being supplied by the residents of TV. They just knew how to use the system to the advantage of their own families, some 80,000 residents, numerous merchants and the population of outlying areas.

IMHO, the CDDs or special form of governement will work as they were established to work. With the genius we've all experienced on this forum in the way of individuals, life experiences and ideas; I have faith we can work through the worst case scenario.
I agree. But I doubt if the Morse family will leave the area, This is a golden cow and no matter what they do they will make money. When the build out is complete they will have their fingers in so many pies that they won't be able to keep track of their income without a family of accountants.

They or their future dependents will be here long after I am gone. And I am a frog and I am not planning on leaving soon. Good Lord willing.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.