Entertainment at the squares...

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I agree. But I doubt if the Morse family will leave the area, This is a golden cow and no matter what they do they will make money. When the build out is complete they will have their fingers in so many pies that they won't be able to keep track of their income without a family of accountants.

They or their future dependents will be here long after I am gone. And I am a frog and I am not planning on leaving soon. Good Lord willing.
Well, if they do move.......
GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS

GOOD NEWS
that will open up a nice central space for another 50,000 homes!

BAD NEWS
We'll haver to watch polo matches somewhere else

L and L

Still overworked in Rural Md......
......visiting our TV homes when possible
Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
We have been cruising he squares this week and I have been a little disappointed at the entertainment. I know they can't have the Eagles playing every night, but it seems some of the entertainment is, well, not so good. A one man band, playing piano to a sound track is not really my idea of entertainment and from the sparse attendance (LSL) I don't believe I'm alone in this thinking.

What's the general consensus on the entertainment? Do any residents participate on the entertainment committee?
Amazing - the question was about the QUALITY of the entertainment (I think). So far I have not seen 1 reply directed at how you feel about the quality. As usual 90% of the replies are directed at the Morse family and what will happen when the build out is completed. I am very appreciative of the music at the squares. It is one of the main attractions that drew me to living in The Villages. Now my answer to the question - I find the entertainment of mixed quality from bad to excellent. What I have noticed is the same entertainers rotate through the month in general. I do believe there maybe some formula for who on what nights tied to market nights. I wish there was more new entertainers but that maybe a tough thing to do given 2 town squares and entertainment 365 evenings per year plus other special daytime events. What I have noticed is my taste in music is not what the average Villager seems to enjoy. I like the groups that play live with a minimum of pre-programed background. I appreciate the musical talent. There is also many talented singers in some of the groups with great voices. I have noticed there seems to be the biggest crowds when the group playing sticks to most popular line dancing songs that are taught in the classes in The Villages. In fact some of the most popular groups do not play music themselves but are of the DJ type venue. I do get tired of hearing the same old songs over and over even through the same evening. Don't know how to please everyone but I for one want to thank the Morse family and our regular musicians for many an enjoyable evening.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am a skeptic but not generally cynical. Own a CYV in Altamonte and will be moving down in late 2011. Prior to purchasing I questioned our TV sales agent several times on the issue of developer subsidy and plans for the time when TV had been built out. She told me that no one had asked that question before. I'm sure that many newbies don't question, but I have lived in enough new developments that I am familiar with the normal progression.

I knew from my first visit that after time residents would need to pick up the total costs of amenities eventually and do not object to that. I Know that the Morse family has a profit motive and don't object. In fact without that incentive there would not be a "Villages" as we know it.

TV is beautiful, the residents are friendly and interesting, The Morse family understands how to provide their customers with a pleasing product and good service, and seem to be honorable folks. Should we ignor problems? ,no, but the continual carping of a few accomplishes little. Let's move on.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Bosoxfan

Anyway, back to entertainment. Please understand, I think the entertainment in the squares is the coolest thing ever. It's one of the things that makes TV, TV. I'm hoping we can move from early 60's to the 70's soon. [/QUOTE]
Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Eternal Member

I enjoy the entertainment on the square. It is relaxing and never too loud. I also enjoy all of the dancing entertainment. Our villagers and visitors know how to put on a show!

However, I do agree with one of the posters from above that there should be a little more variety in a band's choice of music. If you go on the same night (I prefer Wednesday for the CW), many of the songs are always the same. It would be nice if they would alternate songs and play different artists every once in a while.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Default Entertainment at the Squares

We would like to see The Bundy's play more at the squares. They are a very talented couple.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Gold member

I could live with just a DJ if that was what was available. I mostly go to the squares to watch all the interesting people there anyways. The squares are as much a gathering place as an entertainment venue for me.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Z - I thought you said you like beer - but then you mentioned Budweiser. Can't have it both ways
Does Budweiser make a beer ?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistrucksforyou View Post
Does Budweiser make a beer ?
No, they make a rice lager that they call beer.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Veteran member
Default Great Entertainment

You call the entertainment lousy? Where you from that you get free entertainment 365 days a year?

Personally, I feel you cannot beat Norman Lee and the Boondock Saints; Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs; Rocky and the Rollers; Lenny Wilson Quartet; or the Doc Holiday Band. Great music for all and good times dancing.

If you feel as though The Villages will be doomed after buildout is complete - don't move here! Or if you are already here - sell and move on!

The Morse family is super-rich by means of The Villages. So what? They had a foresight that was wonderful and we are reaping the pleasures of their vision.

Once again, it is your choice to stay or to move on somewhere else. No one is holding you back - and the real estate market here is strong enough so you will not lose money. Just trying saying that in South Florida, Las Vegas, Michigan, or Ohio.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Veteran member

Very well said, tbugs. I couldn't have said it better.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
No, they make a rice lager that they call beer.
From the Miller website:

"MillerCoors primarily uses special varieties of barley with excellent consistency for brewing purposes. Other cereal grains—corn, wheat or rice—can be used with barley as “adjuncts.” Corn, for example, gives beer a milder, lighter-bodied flavor."

Apparently using corn, wheat or rice is a common practice in brewing beer.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Gold member

Why not start you own thread BEER CICERONE(S)
Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
From the Miller website:

"MillerCoors primarily uses special varieties of barley with excellent consistency for brewing purposes. Other cereal grains—corn, wheat or rice—can be used with barley as “adjuncts.” Corn, for example, gives beer a milder, lighter-bodied flavor."

Apparently using corn, wheat or rice is a common practice in brewing beer.

I know - I was just busting. I actually don't mind a Bud every now and then!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.