Has the music changed-WVLG640?

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2013, 12:45 PM

I do love the 70's and 80's and sometimes at night you can get some good tunes on there depending on he DJ.

maybe they would do a call in and request night from the 70's, 80's!! That would be fun !
Old 09-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Sage

The music programming on WVLG is good, I think, but it's the withered, thin, static-y mono sound quality that makes it sound cheap and outdated.

This is where internet streaming of the station would give it a whole new life, with snowbirds and wannabe's having access across the country/continent, with the advertising going out nationwide. And we'd be able to listen to it with clarity in our homes here.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I just got in from a short drive listening to Sixties at 6 on Sirius radio. They just played, back to back, both versions of the Sounds of Silence. You will never hear that on WVLG. As I have said, if they play Barry Manilow more than the Beatles, you know there is something very wrong! Check out satellite radio!
Never had any interest in paying for radio, Sirius or any other until it came in a new car. Now I wouldn't want to give it up. Excellent programming. My wife agrees, when our included subscription expires we're signing up and keeping Sirius.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Sage

I couldn't give it up either. Expensive but totally worth it.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Sage

I'm thinking that I have to put up with this noise walking around a square. I must be missing something..that wouldn't be a first.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM

We still have good music from the 50's and 60's but we also enjoy 70's and 80's. In the words of Joey Dee (and the Star-Lighters) during the February 2007 Tornado Relief at the Savannah Center, Rap is Crap.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
The music programming on WVLG is good, I think, but it's the withered, thin, static-y mono sound quality that makes it sound cheap and outdated.

This is where internet streaming of the station would give it a whole new life, with snowbirds and wannabe's having access across the country/continent, with the advertising going out nationwide. And we'd be able to listen to it with clarity in our homes here.

Wish WVLG would have an internet stream. This wannabee would definitely listen.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I just got in from a short drive listening to Sixties at 6 on Sirius radio. They just played, back to back, both versions of the Sounds of Silence. You will never hear that on WVLG. As I have said, if they play Barry Manilow more than the Beatles, you know there is something very wrong! Check out satellite radio!
I agree with you. I've had XM for years and I love that I can get it anywhere, and I can zero in on whatever I want to hear from whatever decade, or just listen to a baseball game................all games, all teams, every day. I listen to WVLG occasionally and I agree that they are evolving with the evolving population of the community, as they should.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:08 AM

The music on WVLG has changed dramatically in the past 9 years that I have been here. They used to play many songs from the 50s, most of them not even rock & roll. Sinatra, Nat King Cole, etc. And Johnny O used to do a Sunday evening show with big bands and not so big bands. I didnt listen to it too much, but I liked the idea of it. Variety. The best of all was Ron Allens Saturday night Class Reunion show. He played stuff you never hear on todays radio.
I realize the demographic has changed and the music has changed with it, but I just cant stand to hear it anymore.
But I do love that its a real local radio station with real people on the air. A radio friend is very comforting.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrc4 View Post
WVLG 64, Does a decent job especially the early show. The variety of music goes along with your never ever going to please such a vast audience. Never.
That said the Saturday programing it is practically all Rock and Roll 50's style.
For me ??? Earth Wind and Fire, George Benson, Bee Gees, Kool and The Gang, Michael Feinstein, Electric Light Orchestra, George Shearing,The Four Freshmen, Four Aces. and not forgetting, Barry White. Now That's Variety...throw in Faron Young as well. Many More of course.
If you like that music, if you remember, tune into acrn.com on your computer on Tuesday between seven and eight in the evening. A young student at Ohio University plays this music and music from the sixties and seventies and tells you about the artist and the sound. He is a huge fan (and student) of this era. Go figure. He even knows if it is coming through both speakers. (??)

ummm. He is our grandson.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
What's AM?
Amplitude Modulation. WVLG is mostly for Villages info:..weather, golf closings, softball, and what's happening around town. Music is available EVERYWHERE.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 PM

I hope so, Get the beat going, Disco.... Oh yea....Barry White, Earth Wind and Fire, Kool and the Gang, Michael Jackson, Anita Baker, George Benson, ELO, Michael Feinstein, Jackie Gleason, Sarah Vaughn, Four Freshmen, Four Aces w/Al Alberts, of course The Voice, Frank. Pied Pipers, Jo Staford, Margaret Whiting, and yes Tex Beneke, Ambrosia, now your talking Music.

WVLG AM 640 plays practically non stop Rock and Roll on the weekends, that's when the CD goes on

Dump the Beatles, etc..you can play every song that they produced in 12 hrs., or less, and a headache to go with it. Keep the King, for an occasional Jail House Rock, Cowboy music ?? Go to the local beer joint and listen to it. Set em Bartender, hic...up, drinks are on the house.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Sage

They've made a definite change! I hear many tunes from the 70's and 80's when our kids were growing up! Even some from the 90's! I'm thinking it's because more Boomer's are purchasing here in T.V. Personally, I'd still like to hear the oldies from the 50's and 60's interspersed!! I like the "Early Show with Larry and Karl"...they do a super job! I generally don't have the radio on after that...so no offense to the others who work there.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you like that music, if you remember, tune into acrn.com on your computer on Tuesday between seven and eight in the evening. A young student at Ohio University plays this music and music from the sixties and seventies and tells you about the artist and the sound. He is a huge fan (and student) of this era. Go figure. He even knows if it is coming through both speakers. (??)

ummm. He is our grandson.
Gracie, Thanks for the suggestion I'll try that. I agree the Villages early program is by far the best and I also think the most popular. I like the little banter/chit chat between the presenter and the weather person.

They obviously love what they do, and both live right here in the Villages.

By the way The Four Freshmen (new) are still going strong, Bob Flanagan the lead singer of the original group did say to me personally that this group is actually better than the original Four Freshmen.

The group has made frequent appearance here but have not for the past year or two. Oh yes I'll toss Barry Manilow into the mix as well , fantastic.

The Beatles? That's what the off switch is made for.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

They are trying to appeal to their incoming market, i.e., potential purchasers of new homes in The Villages, mostly those retiring now, not ten or twenty years ago. Probably many if not most of these potential purchasers are 55 to 65 and would consider 50's and 60's tunes for old folks, their parents, for example.

Since I am currently 72 years of age I love the 50's and 60's music but do not listen to it very often. I enjoy jazz, R&B and classical music the most.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.