Music Lovers' Corner

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Smile Music Lovers' Corner

When I was chatting on senior net org. in the 90s, I started a music chat room which became quite popular. Thought I'd give it a try here. I will try this on you. There are artists who were introduced to you some where by friends and you said "Wow". My 4th grade teacher introduced me to country & western and especially to Hank Snow, a Canadian. When I started to work, my co-worker introduced me to a French singer, Francoise Hardy. Later my then girl friend introduced me to Jim Reeves, another country singer. I still love them all to this day. Which artists were you introduced to some where and said "Wow"
Old 08-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Kiri Te Kanawa

A very famous and successful opera star from New Zealand. I was introduced to her music and superb voice by a friend on New Year's Eve in the early 80's. I then had the pleasure of meeting this delightful lady after her performance at the Orange County Performing Arts Center (California).
Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Kiri Te Kanawa

Dfn8tly. Don't remember where I heard her the first time but definitely she has a beautiful voice. She sometimes sings in Maori language which is also great. Perhaps this is not up your alley but my wife's nephew introduced me to Anne Murray. Believe she got into a political problem but, nevertheless, I like her voice and the songs she sings. One of the six CD changers in my car is her CD. Perhaps it may be interesting to ask what CDs people are listening in one's cars. On another note, I was at a gift shop in Moana Surfrider in Hawaii. This was back in mid-60s and I heard this beautiful music coming out of the speaker so I bought this LP. Later I found out that they were on Hawaiian Eye TV series playing at the Hawaiian Village. It was Arthur Lyman instrumental group. I still have that LP.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Sage

Check out Al Bowlly, a British crooner from the 30's who was killed in the Blitz in London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Bowlly

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Veteran member
Default Al Bowlly

Chuckinca. Thanks for introducing me to Al Bowlly. I've never heard of him until you introduced me. Always learning. He certainly has a beautiful voice. Would call him the American Tinno Rossi. I love Al Martino too but Bowlly has a sweeter voice I think. Now the question is which CD to choose from.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Veteran member
Default No Music Lovers Out There?

This post seems to have died on the vine. I thought for sure we'll get more interesting comments. With all the country & western clubs, lots of dancing at the squares and Katie Bells, thought there would be lots of past memories. Perhaps those on Internet chats are different animals but I can't believe that. Any thought from Gene Kurupa's "swing,swing,swing", Benny Goodman's "goodbye", Patty Page's "how much is that doggy in the window", Elvis fan club, Connie Francis's " where the boys are" , Beach Boys, Everly Brothers, Beatles , Pavarotti, Boy George, Sex Pistol, George Jones, Tammy Wynette. --a romantic memory, a sad memory, fun memory. I tried.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Sage

I grew-up and starting listening to music just before roll-n-roll came into being. I thought roll-n-roll was great but my uncle said it was garbage and nobody was better than Sinatra. Obviously, we didn't agree at that point.

I do enjoy a lot of different type of music and artists, (no rap for me), but when I got much older, I gravitated to the saloon singers, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn and Billy Eckstein, (Mr. E).

I also enjoy some songs from the Big Band era.

Favorite is "I Can't Get Started", by Bunny Berigan. He was regarded as a talented musician.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Sage

Miles Davis in 1958 by a boyfriend at UNC. Never forget sitting on the porch steps in May listening to Miles for the first time.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

This is a very tough post to answer.....My music tastes swing radically across the spectrum ........from Sinatra to Ink Spots (someone's rockin my dreamboat)....I also like Pavarotti (nessun dorma) to Ann Murray although she sings a lot of Country which I am not a fan of. Its hard for me not to get the giggles when someone sings of their dieing horse or dog ...
I love some south seas music if its sung by Alfred Apaka ,,,,,,,I guess if I had to make a choice of one source of music it would have to be between the Abba, BeeGees and the Beach boys.................

fickle fumar........
Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 PM

As a career musician, I have enjoyed an performed many genres of music, but I still like to go back to my jr. high days, dancing to The Platters.

A couple of years later, I loved Steve Lawrence's "Portrait of My Love".

As a young married woman, I remember looking forward to Glen Campbell's Sunday night sho, especially the last 15 minutes when he sat on a stool and sang his hits.

Later, Neil Diamond! Yeah!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Default Gooood music from " 7 West "

Area band with talent, like a concert in your living room -- go to youtube and type in < sevenwestmusic > from rock to country it's greeaaaaatt !!!
Some members of this band have opened for Sugarland, Brooks and Dunne, Brad Paisley and George Straight. They have played Wisconsin Fest and Country fest at Chicago Soldiers Field.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Gold member

My teen years were spent with the Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc...but my musical tastes are really diverse. I listen to 40's, 50s' and up...I love Jimmy Buffet, Norah Jones and Eminem (I know, crazy, but that's what happens when you're cooped up in a car with teen-age kids!, besides, he's from this area). I guess I just love almost all music, but I do have a problem with real country (except for 'Friends in Low Places' )
Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Gold member

I love rock and roll...The Eagles, Bob Seger, Aerosmith, Bad Company, The Allman Bros., Bruce Springstein, David Bowie, Lynnard Skynnard (just to name a few). But then there's Neil Diamond, John Denver, Nat King Cole, Roger Whitaker, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Celine Dion, Barbra Streisand, Patsy Cline, (a few more)... and more contempory Adele and Lady GaGa. I do enjoy all types of music (not a fan of Rap and HipHop).
Old 08-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Default Sticking with the original question...

...I was introduced to Paul Simon and Art Gar....whats his name...funkel...I think it was. :-) by a 9th grade teacher and I dont even remember what the class was. Might have been "music appreciation"..

Anyway...I have loved music all my life. Anything short of crap...errr...I mean RAP and hiphop I enjoy. Depends on my mood at the time.

I can tolerate opera if held at gun point but I'm not crazy about it...but I DO enjoy Andrew Lloyd Webber's works very much.

I have enjoyed a wide range of music over the past years and have an extensive library but I'm not impressed with what is offered today by much of anybody. I like what I like and if it's from 5 or 50 years ago...so be it.

What will I pay $$$ to hear or see live? Full harmonic orchestra's for starters, Live "Swing Bands" doing the stuff from the 30's-50's...and I recently caught a "Fab-4" concert by the "Beatles" impersonater band that had me "puddling up" from time to time during the concert. They where PERFECT on every note and sounded EXACTLY like the originals. It was, I admit a bit emotional to here that music performed live!

Music to me is also a great motivater!...I never excersice without it!

Enough for now...maybe more later.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Veteran member
Smile There are music lovers here

Wonderful to see all those artists mentioned and songs. Those were truly the good old days. My first musical was "My Fair Lady" in Chicago's Shubert Theater during the summer of late 50s. I still think that is my favorite especially the horse race seen. Summers were fun in Chicago. I saw "showboat" at Ravenia? open theater. Van Cliburn came to Grant Park immediately after winning Tchaikovsky Piano Competition in Moscow. The concert was free! I attended 3 days of Playboy Jazz Festival with you name it artists. Music keeps you alive! I have a good memory of Pat Boone's "Love Letters in the Sand". Yes, indeed. Keep your memories coming.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.