Music Lovers' Corner

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Veteran member
Default Watch ZAZ on You Tube

If you like a young French singer, watch ZAZ on You Tube. She'll give you energy. She is I think a new style of chanson singer who came out of the blue singing on the streets of Monmartre near Sacre Court initially and now a big star in France.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Bosoxfan

I have over 10000 songs on my Ipod so needless to say my taste in music has a broad range.Anything from America to Black Sabbath to Sinatra & Andrea Bocelli.With all that said I can tell you I don't have now & never will have any ABBA! Talk about fingernails on the blackboard! If I were to list my favorites The Beatles,Aerosmith ,Journey ,Keith Urban,& Aerosmith would have to be on the list .Although I'd be hard pressed to write that list.Oh & don't forget Lynrd Skynrd & the Allman Brothers!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainsley View Post
I love rock and roll...The Eagles, Bob Seger, Aerosmith, Bad Company, The Allman Bros., Bruce Springstein, David Bowie, Lynnard Skynnard (just to name a few). But then there's Neil Diamond, John Denver, Nat King Cole, Roger Whitaker, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Celine Dion, Barbra Streisand, Patsy Cline, (a few more)... and more contempory Adele and Lady GaGa. I do enjoy all types of music (not a fan of Rap and HipHop).
Ditto!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Favorite song for me is Wonderful World by, Louis Armstrong.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

I first heard Matt Monro back in the 60s.The man they call the English Sinatra is terrific.He's gone now but you can see many clips of him on YouTube.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Veteran member

Bosoxfan. Having seen the number of songs you have imported to your I-Pod, I went to check mine and currently I have 16,323 songs. But still over 10,000 is quite impressive. If you like Aerosmith, I can understand why you don't like ABBA. I was never interested in ABBA until we went to see one of the productions of Mamma Mia. When I saw all these seniors dancing away in the aisles, I thought the music was fun. As much as I like Meryl Streep in many roles, I thought her singing in the movie version was a stretch.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Matt Monro

Gatherer47. Thank you for introducing me to Matt Monro. He is certaimly terrific. It gave me the same excitement as when I discovered Frank Patterson, an Irish singer way back when. I love crooners. I think I heard For Mama before by Jan Pearce, a tenor but until now I never heard Walk Away. I think it's beautiful. Thanks. I found another crooner I like.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Foreigners

Has anyone go to Fox and Friends taping at Sumter Landing to listen to Foreigners? If so, how were they? On You Tube, I could't tell whether they were as good as I knew them.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightlife60 View Post
The Beatles, hands down.
Without a doubt The Beatles were the group who shook up my music appreciation world at the great age of 13. Up until then I didn't get overly excited about music in one way or another. The Beatles, followed by the rest of the "british invasion", who influenced almost all the U.S. bands, joyfully occupied and enriched my life for many years to come.

The closest I've come recently to that same feeling is with the singer that Yorio thought of and 2BNTV named for him, and that would be the brilliant young and recently departed artist named Amy Winehouse. It's hard to explain simply, but when I first heard her, it was her second album "Back to Black", and I was floored by by voice, her honesty and her sound; and my heart skipped a beat. For the first time since The Beatles I played the same album over and over and over, ignoring all others.

I immediately sought our her first album named simply "Frank" and was again taken by a whole other sound as this was jazzy, where her later album was a kind of '60's soul feel. Her emotions and phraseology coupled with the personal stories inherent in her songs just captivated me.

I've scoured the internet and now also have a very large collection of unreleased and live recordings by Ms. Winehouse.

I inwardly knew that she wouldn't survive her inner demons, although I vainly hoped she would overcome them. I mourn the abrupt end of this troubled woman and the loss of her genius.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Veteran member
Default Amy Winehouse

RitchieLion. Yes, indeed, it is too bad we lost Amy Winehouse. I am not in to too many recent singers but what do you think of Lady Gaga? When Madonna first came out, I thought Cyndi Lauper was a far better singer but look at where they are now. Initially I thought Lady Gaga was a joke but when I heard her and especially when I listened to her interview, I was impressed. She is quite level headed.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorio View Post
RitchieLion. Yes, indeed, it is too bad we lost Amy Winehouse. I am not in to too many recent singers but what do you think of Lady Gaga? When Madonna first came out, I thought Cyndi Lauper was a far better singer but look at where they are now. Initially I thought Lady Gaga was a joke but when I heard her and especially when I listened to her interview, I was impressed. She is quite level headed.
I like the music of Lady GaGa, but am turned off by her gaudy exterior. She's extremely talented but I didn't "fall in love" with her or her music.

Madonna had the same effect on me coupled with, for me, a distasteful sense of her own importance.

Cyndi Lauper has an amazing voice. I liked her a lot when she first appeared on the scene, but I didn't inspire me to buy much of her offerings.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I was into folk music in college: Saw Peter Paul and Mary twice, The New Christie Minstrals, The Brothers Four twice, The Kingston Trio, Hoyt Axton, and The Modern Folk Quartet. The act that absolutely blew me away...... Joe and Eddie.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran member

Joe and Eddie!!! Wow! If I remeber correctly, they had a terrific version of "There's a Meetin' Here Tonight" that was so much better than the Limelighters version. I've been trying to find a recoding of it somewhere for years without luck. I'm also a huge folk fan, and really I think it was the folk experience that helped me appreciate The Beatles when they first hit. I've always been a big fan of vocal harmony, so wherever it's found, in groups like The Beatles, Beach Boys, Eagles, folk groups, doo wop, Four Preps, Four Aces in Broadway musicals, etc, that's what gets me going. Absolutely love the Sing-Off on NBC.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
Joe and Eddie!!! Wow! If I remeber correctly, they had a terrific version of "There's a Meetin' Here Tonight" that was so much better than the Limelighters version. I've been trying to find a recoding of it somewhere for years without luck. I'm also a huge folk fan, and really I think it was the folk experience that helped me appreciate The Beatles when they first hit. I've always been a big fan of vocal harmony, so wherever it's found, in groups like The Beatles, Beach Boys, Eagles, folk groups, doo wop, Four Preps, Four Aces in Broadway musicals, etc, that's what gets me going. Absolutely love the Sing-Off on NBC.
This is for you Bandsdavis!! You can also get their "Best Of" album which has this and many more (without the scratches)
http://new.music.yahoo.com/joe-eddie...pO4TEBrTcOxCUv

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBo-SSVNw-g[/ame]
Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Veteran member

WOW! RichieLion you are my hero! Thanks so much for this link. I have a little band here in VA that has done this song many times, and I remembered the chorus and song structure, but I had to make up verses because I couldn't find this recording. I was actually pretty close, given that I haven't heard this for probably 45 years or so! Now I can send this to my band mates and they will fianlly realize that I wasn't making it all up! Can't wait to get to TV so we can start to find people to make music with. I know there are a ton of talented people there! By the way, I'm thinking of changing my sign in name to match my license plate here in VA: BTLFAN. Thanks again

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.