Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Veteran member

The Eagles, Byrds, The Beatles, The Doors, Jethro Tull
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
I agree with you. I actually sent Felix an apology via Facebook and asked him to return. I felt, the lack of advertising and the way Felix was advertised didn't do him justice. Okay, nuts like you and I know every band member of every band, but I'd guess 70% of the average public know The Rascals/ Young Rascals as a group and don't know who "Felix" is. Or Eddie, or Gene or Dino.

Everybody knows who John, Paul, George and Ringo are but most people don't know the band members of other groups.

Don't forget The Lovin' Spoonful selling out also. How can there even be a Lovin' Spoonful without John Sebastian?
Oh, I forgot about the "Spoonful" (with Butler on lead AND autoharp!). I saw them once and it was sad. Considering the advertising for Felix, the "New Rascals" (with Gene and Dino) would probably be a better draw.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc323 View Post
1. The Beatles
2. The Beatles
3. The Beatles
4. The Beatles
5. The Beatles

also: The Who, The Eagles, The Moody Blues, Chicago

(but leave out the also part)
Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I agree with you. I actually sent Felix an apology via Facebook and asked him to return. I felt, the lack of advertising and the way Felix was advertised didn't do him justice. Okay, nuts like you and I know every band member of every band, but I'd guess 70% of the average public know The Rascals/ Young Rascals as a group and don't know who "Felix" is. Or Eddie, or Gene or Dino.

Everybody knows who John, Paul, George and Ringo are but most people don't know the band members of other groups.

Don't forget The Lovin' Spoonful selling out also. How can there even be a Lovin' Spoonful without John Sebastian?
After seeing the Young Rascals on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time, Dino Danelli became my favorite drummer. I tried to emulate him in my playing. He is really overlooked when people are discussing the best drummers in rock history.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Sage

Another person that often gets overlooked in these discussions is Stevie Wonder. His body of work is absolutely incredible.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Sage

Quote:

I think that's the case with the majority of bands throughout history. Most people know the lead singer and in a few cases some of the other members are known. The Rolling Stones are another case where all members are pretty well know, but how many people can name all of Herman's Hermits, The Dave Clark Five, The Kinks, The Animals, Bill Haley's Comets. Buddy Holly's Crickets etc., etc., etc.
That's one of the things that contributed to the greatness of the Beatles. They had close to equal fame. People had their favorites. That was not the case with any other groups that I can think of.
Quick name the other Four Seasons.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Platinum member

Without looking it up Mike Smith, Dave Clarke, Lenny Davidson. Ric Huxley Denny Payton. Aside from the Stones, with Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, I don't know of the band members the other you spoke of except for the lead singers and maybe a full others. I read the "Happy Paper" advertisements and I could see how many people missed the Felix ad.

The Four Season without looking it up- Frankie Vali, Bob Guadio, Nick Massi and Tommy DeVito. Guadio by the way was a great songwriter and his talents were never appreciated.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
After seeing the Young Rascals on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time, Dino Danelli became my favorite drummer. I tried to emulate him in my playing. He is really overlooked when people are discussing the best drummers in rock history.
Not being a drummer I always liked Dino but wondered if he was more flashy (twirling his drum sticks) than good. Another drummer who I always felt never got the recognition was Don Brewer of Grank Funk Railroad. I thought he was great.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Oh, I forgot about the "Spoonful" (with Butler on lead AND autoharp!). I saw them once and it was sad. Considering the advertising for Felix, the "New Rascals" (with Gene and Dino) would probably be a better draw.
Aside from "I'm so Happy Now" what is Gene going to sing? And yes, Dino was a good drummer but without Felix, the Young Rascals don't work. I saw a recent video of Eddie Brigatti singing at some show. Bad news. What ever happened to Dave Brigatti? He had a better voice than his famous brother and aside from "Once Upon A Dream Album" (Hawaii) he hasn't been heard from again.

Felix! Come back. Give the Village People a second chance. Let me do the advertising and I guarentee a full house.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Sage

Dino was an outstanding drummer. He cut his teeth by moving to NYC when he was a teenager and sleeping in clubs just to watch the greatest drummers in the world like Elvin Jones and Tony Williams. I would say that at the time, he was a lot more knowledgeable than most rock drummers.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
My vote for underrated drummers goes to Bobby Elliott of the Hollies.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Aside from "I'm so Happy Now" what is Gene going to sing? And yes, Dino was a good drummer but without Felix, the Young Rascals don't work. I saw a recent video of Eddie Brigatti singing at some show. Bad news. What ever happened to Dave Brigatti? He had a better voice than his famous brother and aside from "Once Upon A Dream Album" (Hawaii) he hasn't been heard from again.

Felix! Come back. Give the Village People a second chance. Let me do the advertising and I guarentee a full house.
Gene can sing lead on the Felix songs just like Butler sings "Do You Believe in Magic" (and plays an autoharp). Before he went to NYC, he fronted a grouup in Rochester, NY. What is really sad is that the Daily Sun ran a story after the "Spoonful" played here. They quoted some residents who said they always wanted to see the "Spoonful". I just wanted to say, "Well, you still didn't see them."

I got the chance to meet David Brigati a few years ago when he was reunited with Joey Dee (and Bobby Valli). I got him to autograph my Once Upon a Dream CD. Nice guy.

Well, I can name the members of the Who, Kinks, Hollies, DC5, Animals, Herman's Hermits (and don't get me started about Barry Whitman fronting a group called Herman's Hermits or Johnny Steel fronting the Animals). My spelling would be way off! Was it Pete Quaife who was the bass player for the Kinks?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Platinum member

Bobby Valli is another joke. Talk about a has been who never was. He capitalized (or is trying to) on his brother fame. Even going as far as changing his last name to Valli which was originally something like Castalicio. I read somewhere that even Frankie is ****ed off about it.

Yes, I remeber your quote about The Lovin Spoonful. You are so right.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Bobby Valli is another joke. Talk about a has been who never was. He capitalized (or is trying to) on his brother fame. Even going as far as changing his last name to Valli which was originally something like Castalicio. I read somewhere that even Frankie is ****ed off about it.

Yes, I remeber your quote about The Lovin Spoonful. You are so right.
They did work the same PBS special (Rock, Rythem and Do Wop) back in 2001. They sang together on the closing song (Let's Hang On).
Bobby does have a fine voice, if memory serves.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
They did work the same PBS special (Rock, Rythem and Do Wop) back in 2001. They sang together on the closing song (Let's Hang On).
Bobby does have a fine voice, if memory serves.
Fine voices belong to Frankie, Barbra, Jay Black, Steve Perry and a handful of others. Lets not put Bobby Valli in that catagory.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.