Villages Rap Music

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Default Villages Rap Music

I've been very disappointed recently to find RAP being used as music in a couple of Village activities. I tried out the fairly new Aqua Zumba at Sea Breeze last week, thinking it would be exercise done to salsa style music. Sadly, it was Spanish-language RAP and Hip-Hop, which I strongly dislike. Then today I went to Friends Water Aerobics At Colony Cottage, which I have attended about six times in the recent past and which is an excellent workout. The instructor had a new music CD with a long RAP piece. I detest all RAP. I refuse to listen to it in any venue. I really thought when I came here two years ago The Villages would be "RAP-Free" for at least a few years. I have even heard hip-hop on WVLG. When that happens I just turn the radio to WMMO in Orlando, which has absolutely zero RAP. Am I alone? Am I the last woman on earth who refuses to accept RAP as music? I'm only 58, I love music, but RAP makes me just shake with rage. I will not call it music. It's monotone chanting.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Platinum member

Rap must go. I also hate rap and will not give my business to any place that plays rap. The driving range I used to practice at began playing rap. I stopped going. This is what happens when they allow kids to run a business. The Villages must be rap free and ice cram truck free.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Gold member

While I am not a rap music lover I generally just like music. You might say rap is not music but as long as they are not using profanity, violence etc in their lyrics, I have no problem with it. I guess having a 19 y/o daughter and belonging to a gym with a lot of young people has made this a non-issue for me. Personally, I wouldn't want to do aerobics to classical but I do love the music.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
While I am not a rap music lover I generally just like music. You might say rap is not music but as long as they are not using profanity, violence etc in their lyrics, I have no problem with it. I guess having a 19 y/o daughter and belonging to a gym with a lot of young people has made this a non-issue for me. Personally, I wouldn't want to do aerobics to classical but I do love the music.
Is there really such a thing as rap that is not using profanity, violence etc in their lyrics, ???
Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Eternal Member

When Cowboy Bob started rapping on the Country and Western shows I quit watching. And I like CW music.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
Is there really such a thing as rap that is not using profanity, violence etc in their lyrics, ???
Yes, actually my son knows some people who sing in a Christian rap group.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Default I like Rap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
Yes, there are a lot of examples of rap songs that do not use profanity or violence. But most rap is geared towards younger people. Did you know that 70% of rap music sales are to white kids? It's big business, and companies pick what sells, and when you are young, anything that shocks is cool.

It's no different than many popular songs that are out today and even in the past. Music from the 60's speaks of drugs and sex. Some older music talks of sex, which was often taboo in the past. Old movies too spoke of affairs and divorces, and premarital sex, it was just not in your face. As my ex-wife's grandmother told me one time regarding a person who was behaving poorly, "People did the same thing when I was younger, but they were discreet about it."
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Veteran member

I really don't care for country music, but I will go to Cody's on occasion.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18togo View Post
Yes, there are a lot of examples of rap songs that do not use profanity or violence. But most rap is geared towards younger people. Did you know that 70% of rap music sales are to white kids? It's big business, and companies pick what sells, and when you are young, anything that shocks is cool.

It's no different than many popular songs that are out today and even in the past. Music from the 60's speaks of drugs and sex. Some older music talks of sex, which was often taboo in the past. Old movies too spoke of affairs and divorces, and premarital sex, it was just not in your face. As my ex-wife's grandmother told me one time regarding a person who was behaving poorly, "People did the same thing when I was younger, but they were discreet about it."
I hate, really, really hate rap music. Don't care who listens to it, don't care why they listen to it. I hate it and will not go where it's played.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Default I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I really don't care for country music, but I will go to Cody's on occasion.
I don't care for modern country, to much like pop music, but i like country western songs. I really can't stand the twang most country singers affect. Nor do I care what happened to their dog or pickup. Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams is what i prefer.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18togo View Post
I don't care for modern country, to much like pop music, but i like country western songs. I really can't stand the twang most country singers affect. Nor do I care what happened to their dog or pickup. Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams is what i prefer.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Sage

I don't think I could ever bring myself to just out and out say that I hate a whole style of music.

I like some styles a lot more than others but even the styles I don't like have a few redeeming songs.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 PM

At first I missed hearing current music when I moved to The Villages. Now, listening to 50's music when walking around the square and shopping has just become part of the charm of The Villages experience.
I personally like rap music, but it is true that the majority of people here would look downright awkward and comical trying to dance to it. Not really for "The Villages generation".
Now, if they start playing country music here...well then, I will just have to move!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Veteran member

Hummmm!!! '50's music and now to RAP. What happened to the '60's and early '70's or was that in the mysterious 18 minute gap?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I don't think I could ever bring myself to just out and out say that I hate a whole style of music.

I like some styles a lot more than others but even the styles I don't like have a few redeeming songs.
Usually I agree with you Russ, in fact I preached that for years, but I draw the line at rap. It just irritates the hell out of me. It's the only genre of music that I can't stand.
When I first heard it I thought it was a joke. I couldn't believe anybody could ever actually like that noise.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.