Villages Rap Music

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Usually I agree with you Russ, in fact I preached that for years, but I draw the line at rap. It just irritates the hell out of me. It's the only genre of music that I can't stand.
When I first heard it I thought it was a joke. I couldn't believe anybody could ever actually like that noise.
Remember when the same thing was said about rock & roll?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Remember when the same thing was said about rock & roll?
Yep. I don't claim to be unique in my dislike of a particular type of music. I remember record burnings and church sermons preaching about the evils of rock & roll.
The more the "old folks" hated my music, the more they dissed it, the more I liked it. That's probably the reason I started playing guitar many years ago, a hobby I continue to this day.
I really don't give a rat's patoot if other people like rap music, nor do I care if others listen to it. To me it's still just annoying noise.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18togo View Post
I don't care for modern country, to much like pop music, but i like country western songs. I really can't stand the twang most country singers affect. Nor do I care what happened to their dog or pickup. Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams is what i prefer.
And don't forget Patsy Cline & Tammy W.
Whenever WVLG Puts on RAP..........I change to another station!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp

I'm not a big fan of rap but many rap songs are perfect for zumba dancing. I have heard no profanity in the rap/reggae etc songs played in my zumba classes. Zumba is upbeat latin type dance exercise and you can't play oldies music for a new style dance/exercise. They are way too slow. I love it. It keeps me young and broadens my horizons.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherbruddaDarrell View Post
And don't forget Patsy Cline & Tammy W.
Whenever WVLG Puts on RAP..........I change to another station!
Old 08-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Veteran member

I like a wide variety of music but songs should actually resemble music in some way!! They might include things like a tune... a few instruments... words you could understand, maybe a decent voice.

Rap? I think I'd prefer listening to a leaf blower.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:03 AM
Platinum member

BlueDog said---"Usually I agree with you Russ."

I feel the same way. Russ is my idol. Great insight, great mind and what I can tell- "A great guy."

BUT- Rap music is terrible. It can drive a man to drink. Rap is not music, and I will not bring my busines to where it is played.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
BlueDog said---"Usually I agree with you Russ."

I feel the same way. Russ is my idol. Great insight, great mind and what I can tell- "A great guy."

BUT- Rap music is terrible. It can drive a man to drink. Rap is not music, and I will not bring my busines to where it is played.
Gee thanks Tom, donations to the "bring Russ to TV full time" campaign can be sent to...But as many others will tell you - I can be a jerk sometimes (some will even say much of the time).

I'm not saying that I enjoy much Rap music. But I think it has its place. I take spinning classes and some forms of rap really get you moving. I imagine the same is true of other exercise classes.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Anyone else realize Rap rhymes with crap?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp52 View Post
Anyone else realize Rap rhymes with crap?
Yes, and there are many who would say 'rap' and 'music' should not be used together!

While it might be a little bit of a knee jerk to categorize 'ALL' of "it' the same, rap has devolved to a large extent just like C&W has according to a recent post in this thread.

We still get a kick out of 'rappers delight' that was a big novelty in its day as it is today.

Our listening tastes are primarily anything 'good' no matter the genre,
primarily symphonic having played in high school concert bands and doo wop (which had its own R and X content)

Several years in SE Ohio/Appalachia helped with an appreciation for country and Bluegrass, (with bluegrass being unusually strong in DC)

Our son and his sax play moved jazz into the library, and the youngest kid collected early disco from 10 years before her birth, but scorned anything 80's!

We did not like much of the 'metal' in the 60's and 70's but in review we find it way way better than so much of today's.

Age and personal values aside, anyone with a truly objective outlook would probably agree that today's 'rap' and other things heard are relying much
on their iconoclastic lyrics to sell and get airplay.
Yes, we had our protest songs in the day, but the emphasis on sales was less of the drive, and more on the 'change the planet' for the better.

Except for some discreet lyrics (we aren't sure, we've never examined the 10 pages) and some lightly dressed backup singers, this act might have made it onto Ed Sullivan or Lawrence Welk.

As we listen, it's hard not to imagine our aging peers tapping their slippers and bobbing in their neck braces along with us.

That said, we're going to take another listen as we climb down from the soapbox

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gD_CwF5YM[/ame]

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gD_CwF5YM"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gD_CwF5YM[/ame]

L&L
Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Platinum member

Russ said:Gee thanks Tom, donations to the "bring Russ to TV full time" campaign can be sent to...But as many others will tell you - I can be a jerk sometimes (some will even say much of the time).

I'm not saying that I enjoy much Rap music. But I think it has its place

Oh well. I had two other idols in my life. Mickey Mantle and John Lennon. They both had their shortcomings and faults, so I guess I will have to forgive Russ for his rap music comment.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I'm not saying that I enjoy much Rap music. But I think it has its place. I take spinning classes and some forms of rap really get you moving. I imagine the same is true of other exercise classes.
Russ, I can't let you hang in here all alone, going in like a kamakazi pilot. My three children grew up in the rap generation, so I am used to it from hearing it for years, and I enjoy some, even though not all, of it. I'll even confess to having participating in a group 'Gangsta' rap' performance at my daughter's bat mitzvah years ago. I was a music major in college, and I love all types of music; just, like everyone else, I like some much better than others. Some rap is enjoyable and fun to listen to, if you open up to it, and the rhythm of it is great and very energizing for exercise and (some of it) for dancing. 'It's hot'! And no, I definitely don't think Villagers are too old to dance to rap music!

As mentioned in a post above, when rock and roll - which our generation loves - started, it was thought of as 'just noise' by some of the older generation of that time. How could they have thought that?

Just like with any other type of music (or other areas of interest) there will always be people who do/don't like different forms of it. But I don't think that rap is only for 'young' (in chronological age) people. (Here in The Villages, we are all young, at heart). And I like hearing some music around here that keeps us in touch with all of the contemporary forms of music, including rap. And when our younger family members, etc, are here it's nice that at least some of the music they hear is what they relate to.

I also love the charm of hearing the old standards, and everything in between, here in The Villages.

The diversity of what is offered here, in music and everything else, is what makes the Villages so unique. As more young people move to The Villages, I think there will be a natural movement to more contemporary music forms in what is popular.

And like it or not, rap is here to stay, from what I can see!

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Sage

Rap music in The Villages???

Now I wonder what kind of crowd that is going to draw!!!!

Do we have to wear our crotch down to our ankles when we listen to it???::

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm totally in Russ's corner -- probably in my corner, actually. I like rap. Not all of it, but a lot of it. I introduced my daughter to it when she was 12 -- I couldn't stand the bubblegum, technopop and emo music she was blasting. I actually felt rap had more rhythm and definitely had more to say than some of the stuff she was listening to.

When rap first started, it was more a way of getting underground news out to those who understood the language than a big business. Today, it is a HUGE business. Even 50 Cent admitted that he changed once he started rapping and making money at it -- he's now into health foods, no drugs, etc. This from a gangbanger who'd been shot several times. Eminem went from a woman-hating, mother-despising punk to a doting father and tells it all in his lyrics. Read the lyrics to Tupak's songs. There is so much feeling in it.

My favorite music is blues -- I can listen to a good harp (harmonica) for hours. I plead guilty to running away from polka and a mezzo soprano can literally bring me to tears (the high notes HURT!!!). I've reached the point where I'm sick of the 50s and 60s -- have just heard too dang much of it since moving here.

I'm not advocating that any of you change and decide to like rap, but I do think it's a shame to so actively dislike a music form that has been around so long, actually does have some good rhythm and some great wordsmiths that you would not frequent a store that plays it or quit an exercise group because it is used to get people moving. If you want to give it a chance, read the lyrics. You might be surprised what is actually being said by some of the rappers today. If possible, find tracks of just the music and you might discover there is a rhythm and beat to it.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 AM

Rap bears no resemblance to music. It is no more then some no talent individule who couln't sing a note, screaming his lungs out with his pants on the ground. Try whispering one of those numbers in your honey's ear while sharing a romantic moment. Someone compared rap to the beginning of Rock and Roll. No way. Sixty years later we still listen to "Oldies" and Rocky and the Rollers are the most popular group here. I can not imagine that sixty years from now our grandkids will be dancing to EM & EM. Yuck!!!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.