Villages Rap Music

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa2 View Post
Maybe so, but I remember it everywhere and it was more in the mainstream then rap will ever be.

If you want to know about the start of RnR rent the movie "American Hot Wax" and get educated. BTW I am NOT a fan of Rap but I am a student of history.

Last edited by MelZ; 09-02-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Default Zumba's hip hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post
I've been very disappointed recently to find RAP being used as music in a couple of Village activities. I tried out the fairly new Aqua Zumba at Sea Breeze last week, thinking it would be exercise done to salsa style music. Sadly, it was Spanish-language RAP and Hip-Hop, which I strongly dislike. Then today I went to Friends Water Aerobics At Colony Cottage, which I have attended about six times in the recent past and which is an excellent workout. The instructor had a new music CD with a long RAP piece. I detest all RAP. I refuse to listen to it in any venue. I really thought when I came here two years ago The Villages would be "RAP-Free" for at least a few years. I have even heard hip-hop on WVLG. When that happens I just turn the radio to WMMO in Orlando, which has absolutely zero RAP. Am I alone? Am I the last woman on earth who refuses to accept RAP as music? I'm only 58, I love music, but RAP makes me just shake with rage. I will not call it music. It's monotone chanting.
Zumba's description is a cardio workout to international rhythms, predominantly Latin and it includes, reggaeton, hip hop, salsa, cha cha, meringue, samba, belly dance and African/Carribean beats. It's lively and dance music and, although I too don't appreciate a lot of profanity in music, I like fun beats and it definitely offers that. Staying current with music and sounds of the present helps you appreciate all that is offered in the now instead of dwelling in the past, which we sometimes glamorize. Although, I myself have an aversion to jazz and doo wop, I always appreciate a good artist or beat when I hear it and am sometimes surprised that my original aversion disappears. My first golf game stunk to high heaven and had I just quit after one time I would never have gone on to become less stinky. Besides, the Zumba Aqua class is free and offered by a volunteer who is trying to create a upbeat class that appeals to most people. I for one appreciate all the attempts by all the volunteers who teach free classes at the rec centers. It's saving me a bundle in gym costs.

Last edited by florlrl; 12-06-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

I'm a blues guy, whether it be Mississippi Delta Blues, Chicago Blues, or any other style. I also love the rock and roll I grew up with...the Beatles, the Stones, Airplane, Janice, etc. The part or rap that I don't get is the way it objectifies and denigrates women. A lot of the music of the 60's had drug references so I guess I would be hypocritical to to put down rap for the same thing, but I just don't get the way rap music talks about women. Nor do I understand that when they play rap music that is advocating violence against women and calling them bitches and whores, half the people on the dance floor are women. The women I knew in the 60's would have marched up on stage and straightened out the disc jockey in a real big hurry.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
The part or rap that I don't get is the way it objectifies and denigrates women
With you on that!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Sage

I like all kinds of miusic but there are types I can only listen to for a short amount of time. Classical, heavy metal, cw and rap are the ones that come to mind.

Each generation grows up to a certain type of music. IMHO - If it pleasurable to someones brain is the reason why people like a particular brand of music.
I don't pretend to understand rap music but certain songs seem to have a beat.

As I got older, I tended to like the music of the preceding generation. I grew up in the rock and roll era and like the saloon singers, Sinatra, Bennett, Fitzgerald and Billy Eckstein. The big band era had great music and one would never convince someone from that era that any other music was better. I even like the songs of Gershwin, Porter, Berlin and Gus Kahn.

I guess that makes me an old fogey, (music wise), but I like the songs that had lyrics I could hear clearly. I guess having a slight hearing loss from rock and roll made me gravitate to the older music.

Tony Bennett is 80 years plus young and still sings great. Amazing.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrack View Post
Rap bears no resemblance to music. It is no more then some no talent individule who couldn't sing a note, screaming his lungs out with his pants on the ground. Try whispering one of those numbers in your honey's ear while sharing a romantic moment. Someone compared rap to the beginning of Rock and Roll. No way. Sixty years later we still listen to "Oldies" and Rocky and the Rollers are the most popular group here. I can not imagine that sixty years from now our grandkids will be dancing to EM & EM. Yuck!!!!!!
Everything you just said about Rap music, our parents said about Elvis and his Rock-a-Billy music. His music and hip movements were characterized as being demonic. Today he is our King. I don't think anyone can predict whether a music genre is going to last the long haul. But hey, Rap has been around already for about 25 years. I'm not a fan of Rap, but I certainly wouldn't be childish enough to boycott an establishment because they played it. However, I might not continue to go if that's all they played, but I would say that about any genre of music. I think we need to grow up and smell the coffee, we're aging, and we're sounding more like our parents and in some cases, our grand parents.
Manchester, CT - 35 Years
Wilmington, NC - 3 Years,
Putnam, CT - 6 Years
The Villages - Village of Belle Aire 2 Years
The Villages - Village of Charlotte

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...00PIXalt-1.jpg
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM

Rap is crap and country music has lost its identity. As a long time country music fan, the recent cm awards shows were very disappointing to say the least.
Also, I question the need for the constant 50s and 60s music blaring from many locations in TV. The main streets in LSL and SS are filled with the sounds of ancient rock and roll sounds. Swimming pools, country club pools, Lakeside Landing Boardwalk, some rec centers, etc--- you just cant get away from it.
Silence sometimes truly is golden & with all the ipads, ipods, iphones, etc, people should provide their own music if that's their thing.
Yeah, I do sound like an old fogey, but thats what I am now.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim007 View Post
Everything you just said about Rap music, our parents said about Elvis and his Rock-a-Billy music. His music and hip movements were characterized as being demonic. Today he is our King. I don't think anyone can predict whether a music genre is going to last the long haul. But hey, Rap has been around already for about 25 years. I'm not a fan of Rap, but I certainly wouldn't be childish enough to boycott an establishment because they played it. However, I might not continue to go if that's all they played, but I would say that about any genre of music. I think we need to grow up and smell the coffee, we're aging, and we're sounding more like our parents and in some cases, our grand parents.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Amen Brother! I agree with yea!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.