What was the greatest live entertainment show you ever saw?

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Sage

Years ago the San Diego Zoo held night concerts at the Wild Animal Park. They were held on a grassy amphitheater and you could hear the animals and birds from time to time.

We saw Don McClean one night. Everything was normal during the concert; soft conversation, nature sounds, glasses clinking. Then he started singing Starry Starry Night, and there was not a single extraneous sound. Not even the animals made a sound. It was so dark and quiet it was spooky.

It was not the greatest live performance I've ever seen, but I still get chills thinking about it.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Veteran member

Being in the audience at the PBS taping of DooWop 50 at the Benedum Center in Pittsburgh in 1998!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

Woodstock the first one what I remember any way.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Gold member

I remember a benefit concert held at the old Olympia Stadium in Detroit (where the Red Wings and Gordie Howe used to play). It was called 4 in the round and featured Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, James Taylor and Harry Chapin. I was also at a conference in LA in the mid 80's where Sam Kinison and Glen Frey were the lead entertainment in the hotel ballroom.. After a couple of song, Frey brought a couple of his buddies on stage to join him....Don Henley. Timothy B Schmidt and Joe Walsh, they proceeded to play 2 hours of Eagles songs.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 06-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The Amnesty Int'l Concert at the Omni in Atlanta June 1986 was the most famous I've attended. It was performed in six cities, the last show was at Giants Stadium in New Jersey and was broadcast live on MTV. The Police had to regroup since they had broken up. Each artist performed 6 songs, the lineup I saw was The Police, U2, Peter Gabriel, Bryan Adams, Lou Reed, The Neville Bros and Joan Baez.

Even though that was a great lineup, I've seen U2, Peter Gabriel and Bryan Adams in their own full length concert and they were much better performances. Still to this day, the best show I've seen was in 1972 in Savannah, Georgia. It was Jethro Tull performing their spoof of concept albums with their own "Thick as a Brick". That tour came right after Aqualung, and the songs and the wild antics, costumes, all made for a fantastic show. I know it was at the height of their fame having seen them again in 1995 with ELP and was not nearly as grand. Ian Anderson, the frontman for JT was one heck of a performer in his day. The concept show required people dressed as rabbits hopping across the stage, large telephones ringing during the song, and many other wacky side-bits. This photo is from that tour.

The Villages Florida
Old 06-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Rolling Stones - Soldier's Field, Chicago 1978

(thanks for the reminder Chelsea)
I agree the Rolling Stones were fantastic. I was fortunate enough to see them twice, once in Detroit and in Cincinnati. It tickled me watching Mick Jagger dance but he sure did try.

Those were the good ole days with so many great bands!

Now for the worst band, Crosby, Stills Nash & Young. Boring.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.