Your Favorite Concert Experience

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
I've enjoyed reading this thread and my mind reels with the memories of having seen many of the performers mentioned, some early, some late in their careers. Most were great concerts.

I started with an immediate idea of the best one and no matter Who I compared them to, there was no one Who was better.

The Who, 1969, in the acoustically perfect Kleinhans concert symphony hall in Buffalo. The original group sang all their hits in the most energetic presentation I'd ever seen, without a break. The sound (not oppressively loud) was so beautiful, the crowd was simply stunned. We thought the show was over, but then Pete Townshend shouted "Stay, we want to do something new in this great place."
They came back and did the entire opera 'Tommy', without a single pause. Again, the crowd was completely enthralled. There were no wild distracting

displays during the opera, but I can't recall a more enthusiastic, longer standing ovation at any other concert.

Seen The Who in Miami at Marine Stadium in 68. All instruments were smashed and thrown into Biscayne Bay!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 PM

The Beatles at Cleveland Public Hall in September 1964 is the best one. Others that stand out are:
Billy Joel and Elton John at the Ohio State University Stadium
Simon and Garfunkel in Columbus
Paul McCartney in Columbus
Michael Crawford in Cleveland
Il Divo in Cleveland

Not a concert, but great thrill to see Hugh Jackman in The Boy from Oz and then meeting him at the stage door
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM

The Beatles, 1964 in Atlantic City, Paul McCartney, front and center many times, Phish in a small concert hall before they got huge, but the best of the best was Bob Marley, in a small outdoor arena in 1977.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Seen The Who in Miami at Marine Stadium in 68. All instruments were smashed and thrown into Biscayne Bay!
Townshend did smash his guitar in Buffalo, but because the venue was a symphony hall and the concert was so perfect, the bays actually seemed a little awed by their performance. I believe it was the first time they had done Tommy straight through. They were definitely more mellow than their trademark 60's angry show endings.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Some Standouts

Back in the late 50's there was a small bar in Times Square called the Metropole. All the great players at the time came there to just play together after they were done at their regular jobs. Gene Krupa, Hampton, Basis, etc..the list is long would play on a small stage until early in the morning. The other standout, believe it or not was the Dutchess County Fair in New York. The owner of the oldest continuing working hotel in the country, (e.g. Beekman Arms) had contacts with some of the greatest older players. Each year he gave them free room and board and they would come together for one night of jazz at the fair. They also had a lady singer from Harlem who had to be 80 but one of the best I have ever heard. It was interesting as one of them had a farm in Pa, etc. Carvella (of the ice cream fame) use to drive his Limo on the gounds next to the tent and just listen to the great music. I have been to concerts in the round with Tony Bennett, Ray Charles,et al and they were all terrific but these two continue to stand out in my memory. What wonderful memories of true music. Unfortunately today's is more shouting and whinning. What a loss to the generation of today.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Back in the late 50's there was a small bar in Times Square called the Metropole. All the great players at the time came there to just play together after they were done at their regular jobs. Gene Krupa, Hampton, Basis, etc..the list is long would play on a small stage until early in the morning. The other standout, believe it or not was the Dutchess County Fair in New York. The owner of the oldest continuing working hotel in the country, (e.g. Beekman Arms) had contacts with some of the greatest older players. Each year he gave them free room and board and they would come together for one night of jazz at the fair. They also had a lady singer from Harlem who had to be 80 but one of the best I have ever heard. It was interesting as one of them had a farm in Pa, etc. Carvella (of the ice cream fame) use to drive his Limo on the gounds next to the tent and just listen to the great music. I have been to concerts in the round with Tony Bennett, Ray Charles,et al and they were all terrific but these two continue to stand out in my memory. What wonderful memories of true music. Unfortunately today's is more shouting and whinning. What a loss to the generation of today.

I think I need to find a piano type restaurant in or around TV. I always though they were classy and brings back great memeories on New York in the fifties and sixties.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran member

Sonny and Cher summer 1970 in MA in a small venue

Elvis Aloha Concert, Jan 1973, Honolulu, Hawaii

Tony Bennett, 2002, Tampa

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.