Amazon Tanks Ad-free TV on Prime

Old 12-28-2023, 04:40 PM

Most people view things, at least initially, in a very self-centered way. They would get killed by a better-than-average chess player who thinks about what he and his opponent are trying to do.

This is a good example. In "My Little World," I enjoyed free content, without considering how such a service could be free. If what you are using is "free," then you are what is being sold!

As of August 2023, Amazon had over 1.5 million computer servers, massive amounts of space to operate them, and an enormous amount of communication equipment to move data to and from those servers.

Instead of thinking of Jeff Bezo's wealth, which is irrelevant, consider what it costs to pay tens of thousands of employees, pay taxes in many communities, pay for content to deliver, etc. Their data centers consume enough electricity to power several million homes. They spent $35 billion - yes, with a "b", just to construct data centers in Virginia.

If $3 a month seems too much, you could always buy a candy bar instead.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzHighway View Post
That's for Prime members with a business account!
WRONG. It’s for all Prime Members, as I’m not a business member and I got the notice. This was mentioned by Clark Howard several months ago.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:23 PM

People outraged about $3 but roll up to the bar and buy $12 margaritas. 🤷🏼

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 12-28-2023, 09:19 PM

You’re missing that it’s allowed as a choice, not a mandate. I couldn’t have rushed to sign up fast enough. But I can’t stand commercials. I lose that much in my sofa!
Old 12-29-2023, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Teddy View Post
Not true! I have a regular family Prime membership, and I received the email yesterday telling me about the ads and the extra monthly fee to be ad free. It’s for all members.
Stop reading forum and call Amazon customer service like I did and was told that that e-mail was sent to me and it was a mistake and the e-mail was meant for business account holders only.

I have an e-mail from customer service advising me of such in which I requested at the end of the phone call.

Who should I believe?

Hello,

Amazon Technical Support Team.

I'm glad I was able to helped clarify the email you received from Amazon.

I can confirm that the email your received is from Amazon, notifying all customer that we have new update for Amazon Business Prime Account.

If you're not using a Business account, please disregard the email notification.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 12-29-2023, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

IMO most of Prime Video is so lame and bad acting movies that I only watch a few programs on it ONLY because I can log into it via my daughter's account. If that was not available, I wouldn't even watch anything on Prime. I am lucky if I find one or two shows per month that interest me on Prime, so paying anything for it is not worth it. Netflix is getting pretty bad also. Most of the programing is dubbed foreign material. There is enough free stuff available by streaming that I don't have to spend a lot for the junk.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzHighway View Post
Stop reading forum and call Amazon customer service like I did and was told that that e-mail was sent to me and it was a mistake and the e-mail was meant for business account holders only.

I have an e-mail from customer service advising me of such in which I requested at the end of the phone call.

Who should I believe?

Hello,

Amazon Technical Support Team.

I'm glad I was able to helped clarify the email you received from Amazon.

I can confirm that the email your received is from Amazon, notifying all customer that we have new update for Amazon Business Prime Account.

If you're not using a Business account, please disregard the email notification.

Have a wonderful day!
Yes, Business prime accounts got their own e-mail. You were sent the business e-mail by mistake. Everyone ELSE got a different e-mail telling them the exact same thing. You can go to the Amazon website and read the information yourself, it's right there:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...Video-Ad-Free-
Old 12-29-2023, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
IMO most of Prime Video is so lame and bad acting movies that I only watch a few programs on it ONLY because I can log into it via my daughter's account. If that was not available, I wouldn't even watch anything on Prime. I am lucky if I find one or two shows per month that interest me on Prime, so paying anything for it is not worth it. Netflix is getting pretty bad also. Most of the programing is dubbed foreign material. There is enough free stuff available by streaming that I don't have to spend a lot for the junk.
One of the advantages of Prime, IMO, is that they will often run all the shows in a series. The full series of Stargate SG-1 is available now, as is (I believe) the full three seasons to date of The Chosen. They also run some Canadian-produced series (Hell on Wheels, Frontier) which seem to have an overall much better quality both in story lines and in acting than do American-produced shows. I'd put Stargate SG-1 in that category as well, which had a large predominance of Canadian talent doing the acting.

I also enjoy the Amazon-produced shows such as The Aeronauts, among others. Those never seem to go away, they just add more shows to the list.

Overall, well worth what we're paying for it, TV as well as shopping.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
One of the advantages of Prime, IMO, is that they will often run all the shows in a series. The full series of Stargate SG-1 is available now, as is (I believe) the full three seasons to date of The Chosen. They also run some Canadian-produced series (Hell on Wheels, Frontier) which seem to have an overall much better quality both in story lines and in acting than do American-produced shows. I'd put Stargate SG-1 in that category as well, which had a large predominance of Canadian talent doing the acting.

I also enjoy the Amazon-produced shows such as The Aeronauts, among others. Those never seem to go away, they just add more shows to the list.

Overall, well worth what we're paying for it, TV as well as shopping.
Good points. I too binge watch some of the older series. Although, a lot of what I watch could probably be found on regular old YouTube. A lot of folks do not realize how much is available...Free. I don't mind paying for quality, but like I said, I share my kids' log on for a lot of what I watch. I do pay for YouTube TV and Netflix, but I am not sure I will continue Netflix since they do not even have a filter to bypass all the foreign dubbed stuff that I would rather skip when searching for something to watch.

Tags
prime, ad-free, amazon, shows, effective

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.