Amazon Tanks Ad-free TV on Prime

Old 12-27-2023, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts
Default Amazon Tanks Ad-free TV on Prime

Well, we should have seen this coming. Effective January 29th, Amazon Prime will no longer broadcast ad-free content on their Prime TV shows and movies. Over the past several months there has been somewhat of a soft rollout of this change, with more and more shows being aired via their "Freevee" platform. Prime members will, however, be able to subscribe to ad-free programming for an additional fee of $2.99/month.

I realize Jeff Bezos has bills to pay, along with a very costly divorce, but...c'mon, man!
Old 12-27-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Well, we should have seen this coming. Effective January 29th, Amazon Prime will no longer broadcast ad-free content on their Prime TV shows and movies. Over the past several months there has been somewhat of a soft rollout of this change, with more and more shows being aired via their "Freevee" platform. Prime members will, however, be able to subscribe to ad-free programming for an additional fee of $2.99/month.

I realize Jeff Bezos has bills to pay, along with a very costly divorce, but...c'mon, man!
$3 a month well worth it. I sat through 7 ads on You Tube the other evening.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Prices of everything have gone up over the last few years. At least they are making it an option to stay ad free for a measly $3 a month.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:

“ Freevee is a free, ad-supported TV streaming service that carries over 150 free “live” channels of 24/7 looping content as well as thousands of on-demand TV shows and movies. The Amazon-owned service was previously known as IMDb TV (2019–2022).”
It's always had adds on Freevee. Other movies on Amazon Prime do not.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

One person is complaining about a $5 GHIN and another is complaining about $2.99 ad free fee.

C'mon folks life is too short for this.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:10 AM

If one chooses to pay the $3 monthly ad free fee for Amazon Prime, will the FreeVee content on Amazon Prime also be ad free? Lately, a lot of the programming on Prime is FreeVee. it would probably be worth the monthly fee if everything on Prime is ad free. No so much if all the FreeVee content still would have commercials.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:19 AM
Default Hold your horses!

Quote:

That's for Prime members with a business account!
Old 12-27-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzHighway View Post
That's for Prime members with a business account!
No that is for all Prime TV shows and movies for all prime accounts.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgreen3 View Post
No that is for all Prime TV shows and movies for all prime accounts.
I received an e-mail direct from Amazon customer service now in my records, I guess the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Happy New Years!
Old 12-27-2023, 04:00 PM

Amazon Prime is an awesome service, but the streaming video service that comes with it is grossly inferior to Netflix and some of the others. I wouldn't pay for it if it wasn't free.

If you watch a lot of Prime streaming, it's worth paying the $3/month IMO, otherwise, for more occasional use, I'll probably just deal with the commercials.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
One person is complaining about a $5 GHIN and another is complaining about $2.99 ad free fee.

C'mon folks life is too short for this.
Probably the ones that need a shopping cart at the liquor store
Old 12-28-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:

Big deal. I buy so much stuff from Amazon that the free shipping not only covers the annual fee not the additional 36 buck a year
Old 12-28-2023, 06:32 AM

It's gonna start at 3 bucks. Give it time , just like our Prime accounts.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:02 AM

What is GHIN? acronym are supposed to be spelled out first
Old 12-28-2023, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

Definitely a pattern there. But this is not new. I recall back in the early 70s when Cable TV was in its infancy, at least in our neck of the woods. Gone were the annoying rabbit ears and the spotty reception. We now got TWELVE channels instead of two, sparkling clear on our little 19" black-and-white TV. And all for only $9.99 per month. Big selling point was that since we were now paying for what was formerly free, there would be no ads to contend with. I think that lasted two years before the ads appeared, followed by a "premium" service (a bit more money per month) that offered ad-free TV on the premium channels.

Same w/YouTube. YouTube Premium offers ad-free service. But the FREE service is increasingly peppered with increasingly long ads.

I guess the Amazon move is nothing to get your undies in a bundle about. Normal progression of events and all that. Also, Prime is a great service overall and $3 is less than pocket change.

Tags
prime, ad-free, amazon, shows, effective

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.