Anybody watch "The Golden Bachelor" last night?

Old 11-17-2023, 05:34 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Trust or tryst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
A little advice to those single posters here from this long and happily married woman………

If you ever decide to get married at this point in life, I have one word for you — PRE-NUP!

Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Just a question, if you need a prenup why would you marry in the first place? Friendship can go a long way….

A very well off acquaintance turned down a 4 million dollar engagement ring because it wasn’t valuable enough. I am not sure what she actually wants. But if he leaves the common law relationship it starts at 65 million for him. (He can afford it.) I just can’t figure out why anybody would get involved with such a gold digger in the first place? And the guy involved is the son one one of my best friends. This is his third try towards marriage. Personally, I think marriage starts when each if you will give your life for the other person… but maybe that’s just me.

I cannot imagine what a 4 million dollar engagement ring looked like. Seems like her arm would have had to be in a sling to help hold it up. Yes. That was a gold digger.

But to answer your question, my pre-nup comment had to do mostly with the lives of everyday people when they marry later in life.

Especially if each one has a couple of bucks and/or owns property on his/her own, it can be best to spell things out from the beginning.

This is often true when there are adult children who might not be accepting of a remarriage of a parent — either for concern about their own inheritance or concern about a potential gold digger.

With long marriages, there can be an accumulation of assets earned together over many years. Trust language could probably solve a lot of this “just in case” stuff while both are still alive. But I am not a lawyer.

Anyway, I am not being cynical with that advice, just practical. Establishing yours, mine, and ours before a marriage at an older age just makes sense to me. But I know others don’t see it like that.

Boomer
Old 11-17-2023, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Yes, she’s an international gold digger, on a Mrs Simpson level, I don’t think she was planning to WEAR the ring, maybe very special occasions - if she keeps him. I guess we could call my friend’s son, “The Diamond Bachelor” lol.

Still I am wondering why marry if you need; his, mine and theirs? Just don’t get married! Keep your stuff, keep the kids stuff. Put them first. And stay friends. In marriage the two become one (at any age) and assets are the least of them.

If anybody ever suggested marriage to me with a prenup or any kind of condition, there wouldn’t be a chance in hell. But we could stay good friends.

Last edited by Velvet; 11-17-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:06 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, she’s an international gold digger, on a Mrs Simpson level, I don’t think she was planning to WEAR the ring, maybe very special occasions - if she keeps him. I guess we could call my friend’s son, “The Diamond Bachelor” lol.

Still I am wondering why marry if you need; his, mine and theirs? Just don’t get married! Keep your stuff, keep the kids stuff. Put them first. And stay friends. In marriage the two become one (at any age) and assets are the least of them.

If anybody ever suggested marriage to me with a prenup or any kind of condition, there wouldn’t be a chance in hell. But we could stay good friends.
"Who Needs a Prenup?

Contrary to popular opinion, prenups are not just for the rich. While premarital agreements are often used to protect a wealthy spouse's assets, couples of more modest means are increasingly turning to them for their own purposes. There are many reasons some people want a prenup, including:

Pass separate property to children from prior marriages. A couple with children from prior marriages may use a prenup to spell out what will happen to their property when they die, so that they can pass on separate property to their children and still provide for each other, if necessary. Without a prenup, a surviving spouse might have the right to claim a large portion of the other spouse's property, leaving much less for the kids.
Clarify financial rights. Couples with or without children, wealthy or not, may simply want to clarify their financial rights and responsibilities during their marriage. For instance, they may spell out how they'll manage joint bank accounts, credit cards, household bills, and savings. Or they may want to spell out their respective obligations when one spouse plans to put the other through college or a professional degree program.
Avoid arguments in case of divorce. No one wants to think about divorce when they're about to get married, but many couples recognize that it's a possibility. So they might want to avoid potential arguments in a future divorce by specifying in advance how they'll divide their property, and whether or not either spouse will receive alimony. However, it's important to know that a few states won't allow a spouse to give up the right to alimony. And in most other states, judges will look closely at a waiver of alimony and won't enforce it if the spouse who agreed to give up alimony didn't have a lawyer.
Get protection from debts. Couples may want to use a prenup to protect themselves from each other's debts, especially school loans and medical debt."

from: Prenuptial Agreements: Who Needs Them and How to Make One | Nolo

Over the years I have heard from colleagues many sad stories about unintended consequences due to not having a prenup, especially when a second or subsequent spouse dies intestate and there are issue from one or more prior marriages.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 11-17-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:22 PM
Sage

///

Last edited by Velvet; 11-18-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:14 PM
Default Golden Bachelor Finale

I was quite surprised by the final choice. Heartbreaking for the runner-up...
Old 12-01-2023, 03:30 PM
Sage

I just read about the real Gerry's dating and employment history after his wife passed away in "The Hollywood Reporter". It ain't pretty! The article goes into his work history, first as a hot tub installer, then as a maintenance man where he met a woman who became his live-in girlfriend (made to share expenses) until she put on a few extra pounds and he kicked her out. Other girlfriends he met at a local bar. Wow, just wow! This is not the narrative the show presents. He also used the same lines he uses on the show with ex-girlfriends.

The story is in the Hollywood Reporter. Golden Bachelor Gerry Turner’s Secret Ex-Girlfriend Speaks Out – The Hollywood Reporter

I think he wanted Leslie but I noticed he lit up like a Christmas Tree when Theresa responded to his inquiry of what she did for a living - "finance".

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-17-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I just read about the real Gerry's dating and employment history after his wife passed away in "The Hollywood Reporter". It ain't pretty! The article goes into his work history, first as a hot tub installer, then as a maintenance man where he met a woman who became his live-in girlfriend (made to share expenses) until she put on a few extra pounds and he kicked her out. Other girlfriends he met at a local bar. Wow, just wow! This is not the narrative the show presents. He also used the same lines he uses on the show with ex-girlfriends.

The story is in the Hollywood Reporter. Golden Bachelor Gerry Turner’s Secret Ex-Girlfriend Speaks Out – The Hollywood Reporter

I think he wanted Leslie but I noticed he lit up like a Christmas Tree when Theresa responded to his inquiry of what she did for a living - "finance".
manaboutown....all is not as it appears on TV...real people are flawed and Gerry definitely had a way to swoon women. I still think if someone is going to marry a background check is mandatory!
Old 12-17-2023, 10:36 AM

These programs actually scare me because there are so many lonely and vulnerable people who believe this stuff is real.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:17 PM

Time to turn in your man card!
Old 12-17-2023, 01:24 PM
Sage

Nick Viall on 'Golden Bachelor' controversy: Late wife's 'body was barely cold'

Old 12-17-2023, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
Time to turn in your man card!
Is this response because he refuses to be a scoundrel?
Old 04-12-2024, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

The golden bachelor is getting divorced after 3 months ,why do people watch this crap ?
Old 04-12-2024, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
The golden bachelor is getting divorced after 3 months ,why do people watch this crap ?
For entertainment. We recognize it as show business.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
For entertainment. We recognize it as show business.
So is wrestling and that’s just fake crap also
Old 04-12-2024, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

Everybody’s safe word on this series.....Boooooring!

Tags
finest, recording, show, enjoyed, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.