Do you watch Turner Classic Movies?

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Sage
Default Do you watch Turner Classic Movies?

I’m not a true movie buff but I do enjoy movies. I have Netflix and have found many interesting movies that are foreign or from independent film makers.

Recently I revisited TCM. There are no commercials. I especially enjoy the commentary, added information and their themes tying movies together. It’s seems to be so much more than it was years ago or maybe I grew into it.

Last edited by tomwed; 10-07-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Veteran member

I use to watch it in the winter when we would be snowed in, I'd spend all day watching it, sometimes the entire weekend. I love those old movies with James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Joan Crawford, Betty Davis, and my all time favorite Clark Gable in Gone with The Wind. I loved W.C. Fields especially when he patterned up with Mae West. Looking forward to settling in down here and start watching TCM again on days when its too hot to be outside.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I’m not a true movie buff but I do enjoy movies. I have Netflix and have found many interesting movies that are foreign or from independent film makes.

Recently I revisited TCM. There are no commercials. I especially enjoy the commentary, added information and their themes tying movies together. It’s seems to be so much more than it was years ago or maybe I grew into it.
I love TCM and the old black & white movies

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 10-05-2014, 04:00 AM
Sage

I love TCM's old movies. I enjoy listening to the back stories, that are told by Robert Osbourne.

"The Essentials" is something movie buffs should be made aware of.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-05-2014, 05:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Huge fans of Turner Classic Movies.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 AM
Sage

We've DVR'd all the Thin Man movies, the Astaire-Rogers movies, Bogart-Bacall, and a bumch of thers. Sure is nice when there is nothing worth watching on the gazillion other channels.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,035 Times in 463 Posts

TCM is the best. Classic movies that are uncut, uninterrupted and accompanied by some back stories. What could be better? I have some on the DVR that we haven't gotten around to watching yet. We've had a couple friends over for dinner and a movie. Great stuff.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:41 AM

Love TCM. IMO the actors in those old movies were real movie stars. I especially like any with Cary Grant, Barbara Stanwyck, and of course, Spencer Tracy and Kathryn Hepburn. I watched "The African Queen" recently. What a great movie!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Sage

I enter name of actor in direct tv and System record all movies with that individual. Almost all of them are on TCM. Like Joe, I love hearing the stories about the film. And the classics Available for viewing get younger and younger as we get older and older.

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 10-07-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Sage

that is one of my four top stations to watch out of the gazillions full of junk! love it!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Platinum member

Oh, yeah - really enjoy TCM. No place else to see the old Sherlock Holmes movies. You know, the ones with Basil Rathbone.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Sage

I never bought DVD's, only rented. But one time I got my hands on The "A Beautiful Mind" DVD set. It contains two feature-length commentary tracks, one by screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and the other by director Ron Howard, and both are worthwhile.
It was the one and only time I watched a movie explained, scene by scene. There was so much that I missed watching it for the first time.

Here are my questions:
Do many DVDs have feature-length commentary tracks?
Is there a list somewhere?
I'll go to the library tomorrow and see what I can find out and maybe take out.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Platinum member
Smile Never Quit Learning

Being semi-homebound, Turner Classic Movies is a major source of my entertainment. I enjoy the elements already listed by others, but I also enjoy the assorted short subjects. It seems I keep on learning.

I grew up seeing the words "Color by Technicolor" at the beginning of most color movies. I thought it was just an advertisement for a kind of film. I recently learned that Technicolor was the name of the company that processed the movie film after it was exposed by the movie makers. The "Technicolor Process" used a special camera that had a prism behind the lens that broke the light into three separate parts and diverted them to three different reels of film that were being exposed at once.

Then the exposed film was sent by the studio to the Technicolor Company where they processed the film and assembled the separated film into one master copy. Live and learn.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:52 PM

I love watching TCM.
This month is "Janet Leigh Month": 34 of her movies during Wednesdays.
Tonight is Angels in the Outfield, Bye Bye Birdie, and Holiday Affair.

I follow TCM on Facebook. Here is their interesting perspective post from today:

"During filming for their first kiss on HOLIDAY AFFAIR ('49), Robert Mitchum actually did kiss Janet Leigh. Mitchum, a dedicated and clever actor, suspected Leigh's honest reaction to the unexpected kiss would work well for the scene. Tell us what you think of the moment after you see the film tonight."
Old 10-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary7 View Post
I love watching TCM.
This month is "Janet Leigh Month": 34 of her movies during Wednesdays.
Tonight is Angels in the Outfield, Bye Bye Birdie, and Holiday Affair.

I follow TCM on Facebook. Here is their interesting perspective post from today:

"During filming for their first kiss on HOLIDAY AFFAIR ('49), Robert Mitchum actually did kiss Janet Leigh. Mitchum, a dedicated and clever actor, suspected Leigh's honest reaction to the unexpected kiss would work well for the scene. Tell us what you think of the moment after you see the film tonight."
No wonder Jamie Leigh Curtis is so attractive, a pretty good gene pool.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.