Chromecast or Firestick or ROKU

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2021, 04:47 PM
Veteran member
Default Chromecast or Firestick or ROKU

Which of these devices do you have and what do you like or dislike about them? Thanks
Old 03-20-2021, 07:39 PM
Default FireTV is the way to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Which of these devices do you have and what do you like or dislike about them? Thanks
I've had a bunch. The Chromecast dongle was good for sending videos from my computer to the screen but I used it for nothing else. I've had a couple of firesticks and they all worked well especially within Prime Video.

However, I've really fallen for a FireTV because it gives me a "better" firestick but I've also plugged in a Logitech Camera and it is a giant Echo Show and I can drop in on my daughter who has an Echo Show at her home. Nice to see her lifesize.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

I think the Roku is the best streaming device, better than the Firestick and others. The Chromcast device is a different type of device for casting video from a smart phone or tablet to a television screen. It is a good device for that purpose.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

I'm a big fan of the firestick. It has all the apps I want and is easy to use.

Since I haven't used the others I can't really compare, but I see no reason to change at this time.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-20-2021, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

ROKU seems to be the most user-friendly and problem-free for us. We started out with a Firestick and it was a chore most of the time when we went to use it. Can't go wrong with ROKU.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

We've been happy with the ROKU. I know you can "break a Firestick" to get free premium content, but that's illegal and with our luck, we'll be the 1% that actually gets caught. So we're keeping it legit and sticking with the ROKU, and paying for any content that doesn't already come free with the ROKU service.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:48 AM
Default Our preference - roku

Quote:
We have no over the air or traditional cable services in either of our homes. We prefer the roku devices because of the simplicity, user interface and number of streaming services available. That being said, most smart TVs don't require one of these devices. Hope that helps
Old 03-21-2021, 05:12 AM

Roku smart stick is a one remote device. Works very well.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:18 AM

ROKU. Work well, good interface, and we really like the features on the remote...voice command especially. ROKU also has a really nice home screen that is customizable, and they also have screen protectors to choose from. We use the aquarium scene, and it looks very real. ROKU can change the home screen according to the season or holiday depending on the home screen set up you use. This all sounds complicated, but it's not...very easy and user friendly.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:48 AM

Easy to use? Took ours back after 2 weeks. Most complicated user unfriendly system i have ever seen.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:48 AM

Roku and fire stick have remotes versus chromecast that on the entry level
Price do not. Easier to navigate and I think better feel on the Roku remote. Whichever you choose, be sure to customize your Home Screen and delete services you don’t have. Example HBO. It cleans up your screen. You can always add the apps back later if you need them. I’m
Old 03-21-2021, 06:41 AM

It can depend on what you want to do with it. I have one tv with Comcast but didn’t want to pay for another box for the other TVs in my house. Roku allows streaming of Comcast, just like I had a box. Fire stick doesn’t allow Comcast streaming.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:54 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

FIRESTICK for me. A bunch of them. I watch a lot of Amazon Prime, plus voice activated Alexa does it for me.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:56 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default 4-K firestick hands down

Quote:
can control tv, soundbar and firestick with one remote. Can sideload many applications and cut cable cost to wi-fi only.
Fast Eddie the villages firestick guy. If you need help contact me.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:15 AM
Default Which Device

Quote:
We have both Fire Stick and Roku. We use the Fire Sticks and Fire TV's daily. I like the ability to install any streaming program on the fire devices. If you know how you can put non-amazon apps on the fire devices. They are reliable and easy to use once you become acclimated to the UI.

Roku does not allow the user to jailbreak their device so easily, We have Roku in the guest bedrooms in our home these tv's aren't used much. We purchased them when we cut the cord. We quit using them when we found that Fire Stick and Fire TV were so much easier to install the apps we use.

Zero experience with Chromecast as we don't use any google smart devices.

You Tube is a great source for analyzing each device to determine which one will provide you with what you want the device to do.

Tags
dislike, chromecast, devices, roku, firestick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.