Chromecast or Firestick or ROKU

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2021, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

I've been using a Firestick for over 3 years (since we cut the cable cord)...

Very easy to use, can control the TV and soundbar. The newer 4K model is faster, with no discernible lag. And the voice command is great for looking up programs and movies...
Old 03-21-2021, 07:59 AM
Smile Fire stick or Roku

I have been using the fire stick for years. I am now using the fire stick for my live TV. It costs me less than 20 dollars a month and I get everything including HBO, Showtime and all premium movie channels included. Sports are also included.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:01 AM

I have Roku in two homes. All models. Great product! You don't need a smart TV with them.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:04 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveone View Post
I have Roku in two homes. All models. Great product! You don't need a smart TV with them.
same here
Old 03-21-2021, 08:14 AM

Two of our tvs are newer smart tvs that connect directly to our wifi and don't require an intermediate connection device. This is the best of situations where we have You Tube tv(gets local channels), Netflix, Amazon and PBS premium. However, I have a Chromecast Gongel and a Firestick for my den tv where I mainly watch sports. I prefer the Gongel over the Firestick for my purposes but both work fine since my wifi router/modem is in the den. Occasionally, my wife watches movies or series on Netflix, Amazon or PBS in the den and says the Firestick works great. However, after reading comments about the Roku, it sounds like it is very good as well.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:21 AM

We have Fire Sticks. They work just fine with ALL of our old (not smart) TVs. We cut the cable in 2018. I managed to get 4 of the 5 fire sticks that we have on sale for $19.95. It was at Christmas time and they went on sale. I never tried the others, so I can only relate my experience. We had 1 stick that failed after over a year, and had to be replaced. There were big improvements in my new stick.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:28 AM

We have Comcast/Xfinity triple play and 3 TVs. Our big TV has Xfinity box, smaller TVs - 1 is a ROKU TV (TCL) other has $20 ROKU device. ROKU compatible with Xfinity so no extra monthly charge for 2 box rentals. Easy set up and use with ROKU not all features but enough for bedroom (sleep timer) and lanai also ROKU increasing content, some with commercials. Very satisfied with ROKU.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:30 AM

To the OP - you didn't say what kind of TV you have. Is it a 4K/HDR TV? If it is - and many recent models are - you'll want a streaming device that can give you the best viewing (and sounding) experiences.

I have quite a few devices (geek!).

I have a few Roku boxes, including the top-of-the-line 2020 Roku Ultra. The 2020 Roku Ultra (I call it that because there have been other/older "Ultra" models) delivers 4K/HDR, including DolbyVision HDR. It delivers true Dolby Atmos audio. It can decode/convert (aka "transcode") surround sound formats. Example: Most streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Hulu, etc., use "Dolby Digital Plus" audio. If you use an audio/video receiver (aka "AVR") that's older and doesn't decode Dolby Digital Plus, the 2020 Roku Ultra can provide older Dolby Digital surround, instead. Most Roku devices - boxes/sticks - can't decode surround sound. They just "pass it through" to the far end device. In other words, if you have a Roku device that's not the 2020 Ultra and you have an older AVR that can't decode Dolby Digital Plus, you'll get 2-channel stereo, instead. Sad trombone plays here. Go with the 2020 Roku Ultra - model 4800R - for the best audio/video options. Also of note is that the Roku remote control has an earphone jack, so you can hear through headphones instead of TV audio. Works well if you don't want to bother others' sleeping at night. They also have a free smartphone app that can do all the things the regular remote control can do, including listening through your cell phone via headphones instead of the TV.

Some people prefer Roku sticks. They're more portable, of course. But you trade off some features that may or may not be important to you.

From previous posts in this thread, I'm guessing a lot of people don't know about the latest Google Chromecast device. It's been totally reworked, and does have a remote control. $50. I don't have one yet, but it does get some pretty rave reviews (along with some annoyances) from tech types and users.

I also have an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K. There's certainly nothing wrong with this, and what distinguishes this from a Roku is that with Amazon Fire devices, you can change some settings that will allow you to install apps outside of the normal Amazon ecosphere. Let's be honest here - while there's a ton of Google Store apps that can be useful to have, many people who go for the installation of outside apps do so in order that they can get "pirate" tv/movie services. These are services that allow you to watch premium content free. It's not legal, of course, but that hasn't deterred many. You can't install outside apps on Roku devices.

As rudimentary as the Roku interface is (the streaming channel choices you see on the main screen), I like it better than the Amazon Fire interface.

There's the Apple TV 4K, as well. I own this device, too. The Apple TV 4K is a powerful streaming box that comes with a lot of audio / video options that other devices don't have. It also comes with a price tag that's about twice what a 2020 Roku Ultra costs, or an Amazon Fire Stick (or box) 4K. So, you're paying for the technology, for sure. A lot of people hate the Apple TV 4K remote, as well.

Tivo has a Google-type streaming stick now, too. You can get these fairly cheaply - $50 or even less on sale. Seems like they have some bugs to work out on this, but it is Tivo's brand name here, so that's probably a sure thing.

One of the power kings of - if not THE power king of - streaming devices is the Nvidia Shield TV Pro. (Make sure it's the "Pro" version). It's about $200, so in the Apple TV 4K price range, but it's a very powerful/fast streaming system.

In the end, I'd go with the 2020 Roku Ultra to give yourself some future-proofing for now. It's $100 - but has recently sold for $80.

But you won't go wrong with any of these devices. Just don't get a device that offers less features than your TV can provide. If you have a 4K/HDR TV, don't buy a device that only provides 1080p (lesser quality) video, for example.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:39 AM
Default Apple Box

We have used Firestick years ago. It worked fine. However, we switched to the Apple TV box that connects to our one TV that’s not a smart-TV. Apple doesn’t require a monthly subscription, yet you have access to all the needed apps, Netflex, Hulu, AmazonPrime, YouTube, etc.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:41 AM

Firestick is easy to “ jailbreak” which then opens an enormous amount of apps to the user, all of which are legal and free.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Which of these devices do you have and what do you like or dislike about them? Thanks
None. Apple TV, especially if you have Apple devices such as iPhone or iPad.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:57 AM

Roku. Have had for years so very comfortable and mobile.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Which of these devices do you have and what do you like or dislike about them? Thanks
Firestick is O.K., but it is really tied to Amazon and what they offer.

Roku Ultra works better for me (these go on sale a couple of times a year with big discounts. I got two for $50 each). Plus, Roku is constantly offering new free content. We are watching more and more free stuff on Roku (with commercials) all the time. Hands down, I would choose Roku.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomptomp View Post
Firestick is easy to “ jailbreak” which then opens an enormous amount of apps to the user, all of which are legal and free.
No it is not legal. Bypassing fees imposed for service by manipulating a device is against the law. It's also a pretty low-rent classless thing to do. If you can't afford to pay for a service, then don't get the service. The actors, producers, the network that provides the shows, the gafs, the stage hands, the caterer, the babysitter of the staff's kids, they all rely on revenue stream from the premium fees that those premium channels charge their customers.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
Easy to use? Took ours back after 2 weeks. Most complicated user unfriendly system i have ever seen.
Which one did you return?
Closed Thread

Tags
dislike, chromecast, devices, roku, firestick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.