Commercial Over Load

Old 04-29-2024, 08:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 817 Posts
Default Commercial Over Load

I know businesses have to profit with sponsors supporting their product, BUT......

Ever notice lately everything video we watch on Fire Stick, Ruko, any streaming service,
and paid cable tv, there's more and more commercials sneaking into our lives every year?

Even half hour of news weather and sports, it comes down 15 minutes of commercials.

I heard once if you took the station breaks out of a 3 1/2 hour NFL game, we could watch the
whole game from snaps to finish in less then one hour.

Your Thoughts
Old 04-29-2024, 08:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Microsoft just announced they will be adding ads to our computer start-up menus soon.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:46 AM

When I traveled to Japan back 25 years ago, the TV would replay a football game in less than an hour. Of course, they didn’t show any plays where a team didn’t make any yardage. So on occasion, you would just see alternating punts/returns.

On the other hand, they would show the entire playoff baseball game. The American announcers would do the play by play. During the commercial breaks, the Japanese announcers would come on to talk about the game.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,158 Times in 5,385 Posts

My son taught me how to watch a football game.

DVR it and start watching an hour or more after game starts.

Catch up early 4th qtr and than decide if worth watching it with commercials.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,109 Times in 304 Posts

We almost escaped, during the age of the DVR, when the problem was having enough DVR space to record all of your programs so you could skip the commercials. But they cleverly stopped that by removing all watchable programming from live Tv. All it took to ween you off all those engaging comedy and drama shows you used to record was to substitute endless fake reality TV and game shows, and about 15 ever-more-ridiculous versions of NCIS .

Then they forced us to buy a dozen steaming platforms so we could surf endlessly though mountains of garbage in order to locate one program worth watching per day. And even then, every other word is the "F" word.

About once a week, I start surfing at 7:00, and call the wife at 8:00 if I find something. But most nights we usually just wind up watching 20-year-old reruns of some old show we used to watch but now no longer remember.

The great part about that strategy is that they can't find advertisers for the old shows. So you only get hit with a couple of minutes of self-promotion every half hour, instead of 5 minutes of inscrutable drug commercials for every 10 minutes of verbal abuse they inflict on you.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
We almost escaped, during the age of the DVR, when the problem was having enough DVR space to record all of your programs so you could skip the commercials. But they cleverly stopped that by removing all watchable programming from live Tv. All it took to ween you off all those engaging comedy and drama shows you used to record was to substitute endless fake reality TV and game shows, and about 15 ever-more-ridiculous versions of NCIS .

Then they forced us to buy a dozen steaming platforms so we could surf endlessly though mountains of garbage in order to locate one program worth watching per day. And even then, every other word is the "F" word.

About once a week, I start surfing at 7:00, and call the wife at 8:00 if I find something. But most nights we usually just wind up watching 20-year-old reruns of some old show we used to watch but now no longer remember.

The great part about that strategy is that they can't find advertisers for the old shows. So you only get hit with a couple of minutes of self-promotion every half hour, instead of 5 minutes of inscrutable drug commercials for every 10 minutes of verbal abuse they inflict on you.
Now that they heard they cannot find advertisers they will approach the networks asking for low cost commercial time. The end is near
Old 04-29-2024, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,538 Posts

Even TOTV. Ads between post, in the posts. It's all about the money. It always has been.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Even TOTV. Ads between post, in the posts. It's all about the money. It always has been.
If they do not make money why would they continue?
Old 04-29-2024, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
If they do not make money why would they continue?
Some of my favorite videos are ads. Creative, funny. Most folks have a favorite or two. My favorite is for fresh seafood. A guy fights a grizzly bear for the salmon the bear just caught. Poor bear!
Old 04-29-2024, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,460 Times in 2,550 Posts

Many sporting events shown on tv seem more about the commentators and talking heads, rather than the game.
The time wasted with the inane questions, expert opinions, and the advertising, has made me give up watching most sporting events.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I...

I heard once if you took the station breaks out of a 3 1/2 hour NFL game, we could watch the

Your Thoughts
What you heard is ridiculous on its face.

There are 60 minutes of playing time in an NFL game so it is absolutely impossible to watch the whole game from snaps to finish in less than 60 minutes. Add in clock stoppage for timeouts, ball hang time on kickoffs, clock stoppage for incomplete passes or runs out of bounds, and clock stoppage on change of possession and the time increases beyond 60 minutes.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-29-2024, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
What you heard is ridiculous on its face.

There are 60 minutes of playing time in an NFL game so it is absolutely impossible to watch the whole game from snaps to finish in less than 60 minutes. Add in clock stoppage for timeouts, ball hang time on kickoffs, clock stoppage for incomplete passes or runs out of bounds, and clock stoppage on change of possession and the time increases beyond 60 minutes.
You can. Often takes 40 or so seconds between plays. If you skip the huddle and lining up save lots of time
Old 04-29-2024, 08:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Didn't the NFL one year try broadcasting a game without commentators ?
Old 04-29-2024, 08:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Didn't the NFL one year try broadcasting a game without commentators ?
Yes. Watched it but did miss some of the analysis.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:07 PM
Thanked 1,137 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
I know businesses have to profit with sponsors supporting their product, BUT......

Ever notice lately everything video we watch on Fire Stick, Ruko, any streaming service,
and paid cable tv, there's more and more commercials sneaking into our lives every year?

Even half hour of news weather and sports, it comes down 15 minutes of commercials.

Your Thoughts
You don't HAVE to watch TV with commercials. Quit being a tightwad and pay for the premium streaming services without ads. I don't have to suffer through any commercials on YouTube, Prime, Hulu, etc. because I pay for commercial-free shows and movies. I ditched cable years ago. Pay up or stop complaining.

Tags
hour, game, commercials, watch, finish

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.