Commercial Over Load

Old 04-30-2024, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
You can. Often takes 40 or so seconds between plays. If you skip the huddle and lining up save lots of time
Exactly what we do. ALWAYS less han an hour.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:35 AM
Default No longer an option..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
You don't HAVE to watch TV with commercials. Quit being a tightwad and pay for the premium streaming services without ads. I don't have to suffer through any commercials on YouTube, Prime, Hulu, etc. because I pay for commercial-free shows and movies. I ditched cable years ago. Pay up or stop complaining.
Me too, unfortunately no longer an option on many content providers.
Tech newsletters are indicating that even more services will discontinue the adless option.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:37 AM

When did the nfl quarters become shorter than 15 mins?
Old 04-30-2024, 05:40 AM

I'm subscribe to YouTube TV and have more than enough recording time and when I watch things, I have recorded I skip through the commercial.
Also, if I forget I few commercials might slid by and then the commercial time switches to some type of nature spot, like a hummingbird drinking nectar from a flower.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:01 AM
Veteran member

…and now ads are using up space on our smart phones. Now THAT really upsets. Notice that talk of the villages starting to have ads embedded as well. Was it Demolition Man that showed a futuristic society where commercial jingles were the only songs played on the air??
Old 04-30-2024, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,788 Times in 477 Posts

Commercials drive me crazy - I no longer watch any broadcast channels - I have no cable TV, and no streaming services (other than Amazon, which I get with my prime account, but rarely watch). I subscribe to several you tube channels (I pay the small extra monthly fee to avoid commercials), and I have an extensive library of classic films (1930s-1960s) on DVD I’ve collected over the years (over 5000 titles), to watch. So glad I have all those DVD titles now, so I don’t have to rely on streaming services, and many of my DVD titles aren’t even available on streaming services.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:40 AM

I would stop paying for a streaming service if I was forced to watch commercials. Some promotions for new videos are expected.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:48 AM
Default Yes

I timed the Super Bowl. In first hour - 20 minutes of football and 40 minutes of commercials.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,166 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
You don't HAVE to watch TV with commercials. Quit being a tightwad and pay for the premium streaming services without ads. I don't have to suffer through any commercials on YouTube, Prime, Hulu, etc. because I pay for commercial-free shows and movies. I ditched cable years ago. Pay up or stop complaining.
So your work around is to pay extra to eliminate commercial free shows and movies that shouldn't be there to begin with?
Old 04-30-2024, 07:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,569 Times in 726 Posts

Commercials are unfortunately a necessity, the cost of producing content is so much higher that most people can imagine and it gets more expensive every day. In the case of the NFL games, the gate receipts from the stadium that must be shared with the stadium owner and the visiting team fall grossly short of covering the expense of fielding the team, without advertisers and sponsors the football, and entertainment industry for that matter, would fail almost immediately.

Nothing is free, including the internet, what you get for “free” is paid for by the advertisers.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 04-30-2024, 07:33 AM

I have to admit that I do watch the Discover Card commercials with Jennifer Coolidge, Stifler's mom from American Pie, especially the one where she's going through the grocery store, I laugh every time it comes on!

We do use a DVR for the few shows we do watch.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,000 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonip View Post
I timed the Super Bowl. In first hour - 20 minutes of football and 40 minutes of commercials.
There were 123.4 million viewers and a 30 second commercial cost $7 million. I think that is why they had 40 minutes of commercials.
Old 04-30-2024, 07:59 AM

Agree completely. A two hour movie takes three hours because of all the commercials. Greedy networks
Old 04-30-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I know businesses have to profit with sponsors supporting their product, BUT......

Ever notice lately everything video we watch on Fire Stick, Ruko, any streaming service,
and paid cable tv, there's more and more commercials sneaking into our lives every year?

Even half hour of news weather and sports, it comes down 15 minutes of commercials.

I heard once if you took the station breaks out of a 3 1/2 hour NFL game, we could watch the
whole game from snaps to finish in less then one hour.

Your Thoughts
If you think that's bad wait till you find out what they've been doing to your brain with those apple ear buds
Old 04-30-2024, 08:13 AM
Default Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
We almost escaped, during the age of the DVR, when the problem was having enough DVR space to record all of your programs so you could skip the commercials. But they cleverly stopped that by removing all watchable programming from live Tv. All it took to ween you off all those engaging comedy and drama shows you used to record was to substitute endless fake reality TV and game shows, and about 15 ever-more-ridiculous versions of NCIS .

Then they forced us to buy a dozen steaming platforms so we could surf endlessly though mountains of garbage in order to locate one program worth watching per day. And even then, every other word is the "F" word.

About once a week, I start surfing at 7:00, and call the wife at 8:00 if I find something. But most nights we usually just wind up watching 20-year-old reruns of some old show we used to watch but now no longer remember.

The great part about that strategy is that they can't find advertisers for the old shows. So you only get hit with a couple of minutes of self-promotion every half hour, instead of 5 minutes of inscrutable drug commercials for every 10 minutes of verbal abuse they inflict on you.

Yep! Just last week we were on a roll! We watched "The long long trailer" 1950's Lucille Ball & Desi Arnez, "Yours, Mine & Ours" Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda 1960's then "Mr Roberts" Henry Fonda 1950's
Some of the best TV I have watched in a loooong time. Now I'm watching "Northern Exposure" on Amazon Prime. Good Time!

Tags
hour, game, commercials, watch, finish

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.