Complete Rookie in understanding HOW TO cut the cord

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2022, 07:10 PM
Default Complete Rookie in understanding HOW TO cut the cord

We have 1 Visio smart TV. One not-so-smart TV. 1 Mac Book pro. 2 iphones.

I cannot even begin to figure out how streaming TV works. I thought you could stream directly to a smart TV. But when I look at streaming companies. . .it seems like you have to have a device on which to load applications.

Anyway, rather than drive myself crazy trying to figure it out. . .I'd like to know if anyone offers a service to come out and help set up streaming. Don't even know which service would be best. Husband likes sports [surprise!] and I am more partial to sitcoms, movies etc.

Need a referral. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2022, 07:44 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemmett608 View Post

I cannot even begin to figure out how streaming TV works. I thought you could stream directly to a smart TV. But when I look at streaming companies. . .it seems like you have to have a device on which to load applications.

Anyway, rather than drive myself crazy trying to figure it out. . .I'd like to know if anyone offers a service to come out and help set up streaming. Don't even know which service would be best. Husband likes sports [surprise!] and I am more partial to sitcoms, movies etc.

I sent you a message
Old 01-28-2022, 09:03 PM

We felt the same about streaming. Check out Clark Howard web site, he has lots of info.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:09 AM
Gold member

After your research did you cut the cord?
Old 01-29-2022, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I would start by going to the website "suppose.tv". Enter all channels that you want, and it will tell you which streaming services you need. Yes, you need a device that has the app for that streaming service. But, your smart tv may already have the apps that you need. If not, you will probably need to buy a streaming device, like a Roku stick. Anyone with some technical knowledge should be able to help you set it up.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:39 AM

Yes we cut the cord. Have been streaming for a few years. Have used both Hulu & Fubo
depending on what you want to watch.
We would be happy to help. Great way to meet people, we've been here just over a year.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

if you have a smart visio, your streaming is around the corner. we have comcast for cable & internet,-- then find 'apps' on your tv selection. a page will open with lots of choices from pluto to you tube. just click & watch. if you DONT have comcast, neighbors tell me they use a roku or firestick. my daughter has a firestick on her tv & can watch almost anything with very little cost

PS: we have amazon prime, too
Old 01-29-2022, 12:36 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Sports will kill the deal. Better off with basic promo bundle from Xfinity. Can try Roku sticks and Fubo.tv free trials first
Old 01-29-2022, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

You have had great helpful information from the TVers above, now I am going to give you the best: Go to Best Buy and pay for one of their Geeks to come in and set you up.

I, also, could not wrap my head around streaming, but the teenaged genius who came from Best Buy was great. He sat with me until I understood the principle of streaming, when someone explains everything in words of one syllable you will understand it.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-29-2022, 06:23 PM
Sage

Sounds like the economy of it depends on whether you need to view sports or not. My husband started complaining about the Comcast bill the year after we moved here. The first thing he said he'd do if I died would be to cut Comcast, and after hearing that at least once a day for several years, I agreed to try it. Also, I couldn't get my head around the fact that the TV/Internet bill was running more per month than the electric bill in an all-electric house. Son sent a Roku device. It was a cinch to install and the AudioVideo guy installed an attic antenna so we could watch local news.

We don't follow sports but have been happy with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and some of the choices on Roku ever since cutting the cord seven years ago. Also, it's easy to sign up with other "pay" channels, such as Acorn, and just as easy to drop them when we've seen the programs we want.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:25 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

I cut the cord last year. I was apprehensive but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. You'll need an internet provider (I stayed with Spectrum for now but might change). I also choose youtubeTV. WIth that, I get all the local channels and all the "extra" channels I want.
Lot's of choices... but you can pick one (like Hulu) and change if it doesn't work for you.
It's going to be easier than you think it's going to be...
Old 01-30-2022, 06:53 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

RETIRED GUY said he would show you! That’s an offer you can’t refuse… I’ve been streaming with Roku for 3-4 years! “ secret , you can have guests on the acct and split the bill”
Old 01-30-2022, 07:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Check out Hybridtv.net, international, US sports, Uk Canada US entertainment, Orlando stations along with tv stations Hawaii to Ma. @ $20 monthly or $150 annual. I have used it 4 years. UNFORTUNATELY NO DVR.
Android tv unit or Amazon Firestick required. Totally portable can have up to 4 tv’s connected on account.
I take mine from Fl to Ri no zip code restrictions, high-speed internet reqired
Old 01-30-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I'd say I'm as tech savvy as the average bear at our age. I have been streaming TV for two or three years and I have tried many different streaming services. Here are a couple of pluses and minuses about streaming TV:

1. Streaming is a month to month deal. You can try a streaming service for a free trial period (3 days to a week typically) then sign up for month to month. No long-term contracts like cable and satellite TV.

Some streaming services are 100% free as long as you are willing to deal with the ads. You typically won't find live major network TV for free. Most, but not all, of the free stuff is older programming (think Gunsmoke, Leave It To Beaver, and Star Trek). There is a weather station that is live, Weather Nation. You can watch that on Pluto TV which is a free streaming service with a whole bunch of channels.

WeatherNation on Pluto TV

2. I have used YouTube TV for the last couple of years. I am paying about $70 a month, I have all the major networks, plenty of sports, and most of the other channels that we care to watch. Most of the major streaming services have what they call a "virtual DVR" where you can record and playback programs as you choose.

3. Like most things a bit technical, there is a learning curve to streaming TV. If you can use a computer, cable TV or satellite TV, you have the expertise to use streaming TV. It is not that difficult.

4. There are some pitfalls so if you know someone, or someone volunteers to help you out without payment, that's the way to go. Do not pay someone to sign you up. If you are going to pay, stay with the mainstream services (YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, Sling, etc.).

5. Like someone else already pointed out, the Suppose TV website is very helpful.

Suppose | Compare Cable, Satellite & Streaming TV Services
Old 01-30-2022, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:

I can relate, have smart tvs, not so smart owner, contacted 352-289-1596 John chambler, problem solved and reasonable
Closed Thread

Tags
streaming, service, figure, smart, set

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.