Cut the cord, now have sling but want local channels.

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2020, 06:56 AM

There's no even discussion. It should be obvious that YTTV offers much more. The only fact that you can watch it on different devices slams any other network. Even if you lurk for the stats on the web, you'll find our that people to switch to yttv
Old 08-10-2020, 06:57 AM

Use fubo streaming 100 channels plus local $60 a month
Old 08-10-2020, 07:21 AM

So which internet service do you use to stream with?
Old 08-10-2020, 07:25 AM

I currently have YouTube TV. I dropped Comcast cable TV because the total cost was about $230 a month, including high speed Internet and cable landline. Comcast is about $107 without cable TV now, but YouTube TV’s price keeps going up over time.

It’s nice to be able to watch YouTube TV on the iPhone in different places. Technically, you’re not supposed to share the service and cost with people that do not live in your household, but I don’t know how they stop you from doing that. We don’t share it with in-laws that don’t live in our residence because the agreement says you are not supposed do that.

The unlimited cloud recording is nice with YouTube TV, but the user interface is horrible! Sometimes you have to search for recordings by names that you have to remember to find the recordings. I never watch the new channels that they added, which increased the price. I’d rather have a lower price than receive sports channels that I never watch.

Another downside to YouTube TV is the lip sync is sometimes a few seconds off. To fix that, I have to restart the stream several times, restart the Roku, or stream with the iPhone and Chromecast, instead of using the Roku.

Another option is to subscribe to YouTube Premium, which used to be called YouTube Red. YouTube Premium is YouTube without inserted commercials. Years ago, we subscribed to the Google music streaming service, because they threw in YouTube Red for free. So, we get YouTube Premium and the Google music service for the same price for the two services, that you’d now have to pay for each service separately. YouTube Premium costs about $16 a month. But we get both YouTube Premium and the Google music streaming service for about $16 a month for the family sharing. An individual subscription price is about $10 a month.

If there was a cheaper and better way to get the Fox News Channel, Fox Business Channel, and AMC, plus be able to DVR them, we would switch. We only want those 3 channels. We almost never watch live TV. We must be able to skip the TV commercials.

YouTube TV is a good option for snowbirds, since it’s portable. We are planning to become in the future.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:34 AM
Default Indoor antenna will not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Go to Amazon and type in Indoor Television Antenna. You will find a lot of options under $40 for a one time purchase. These are less than a foot square and flat, and they just plug into your television. They let you pick up all the local stations for miles around, just like outdoor antennas used to do. I’d go for the more powerful ones to pick up Orlando or Tampa. There are also versions you can mount in your attic or on a wall or table in your lanai.

If you have concrete walls, they may not work too well indoors, except in the attic. I’m not sure.
An indoor antenna will not work simply due to the distance The Villages are from most Orlando broadcast towers. It is a limitation by both distance and the curvature off the earth.

Believe me I went through this myself. It required I get an outside antenna with a Channel Master preamplifier. The channel that is the most problematic is 2.1NBC. Although is now get only occasional pixelation. Some of the other channels the preamp was a bit too strong for so had to install 16db in attenuators to prevent problems from to strong a signal.

However, I am thrilled I don’t have to pay another penny for local stations and have trimmed my selection down to 25 out of 79 channels I can receive.

Call International Satellite & Antenna Service, 352-237-3811. They can advise you what you can expect from your address and suggest the best OTA antenna.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:53 AM
Red face Cut the cord now have sling but want local channels

Sling is the cheapest service. You get what you pay for. Surprised no one has mentioned Hulu-TV. Close to the You Tube price but includes the services of straight Hulu.,
Default cut the cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
We cut the cord a month ago and signed up for sling TV. I would like to get some local channels like Orlando CBS (when a golf match leaves the Golf Channel) and perhaps a few others. I am also not interested in an antenna on the roof. I know I am getting a bit picky here but I don't know that for sure. Any suggestions?
Get Comcast basic. Couple with fast internet. It's cheap and does the trick. I, too have Sling and Britbox--enough great TV for me.
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I currently have YouTube TV. I dropped Comcast cable TV because the total cost was about $230 a month, including high speed Internet and cable landline. Comcast is about $107 without cable TV now, but YouTube TV’s price keeps going up over time.

It’s nice to be able to watch YouTube TV on the iPhone in different places. Technically, you’re not supposed to share the service and cost with people that do not live in your household, but I don’t know how they stop you from doing that. We don’t share it with in-laws that don’t live in our residence because the agreement says you are not supposed do that.

The unlimited cloud recording is nice with YouTube TV, but the user interface is horrible! Sometimes you have to search for recordings by names that you have to remember to find the recordings. I never watch the new channels that they added, which increased the price. I’d rather have a lower price than receive sports channels that I never watch.

Another downside to YouTube TV is the lip sync is sometimes a few seconds off. To fix that, I have to restart the stream several times, restart the Roku, or stream with the iPhone and Chromecast, instead of using the Roku.

Another option is to subscribe to YouTube Premium, which used to be called YouTube Red. YouTube Premium is YouTube without inserted commercials. Years ago, we subscribed to the Google music streaming service, because they threw in YouTube Red for free. So, we get YouTube Premium and the Google music service for the same price for the two services, that you’d now have to pay for each service separately. YouTube Premium costs about $16 a month. But we get both YouTube Premium and the Google music streaming service for about $16 a month for the family sharing. An individual subscription price is about $10 a month.

If there was a cheaper and better way to get the Fox News Channel, Fox Business Channel, and AMC, plus be able to DVR them, we would switch. We only want those 3 channels. We almost never watch live TV. We must be able to skip the TV commercials.

YouTube TV is a good option for snowbirds, since it’s portable. We are planning to become in the future.
For those who currently have Xfinity Mobile cell phone service and a Comcast landline as part of a bundle, you may want to consider replacing the landline with an extra cell phone. You can get unlimited cell phone service for $13.49 per month with up to 1gb of data, and even cheaper if you use a shared data plan. And, if you use it mostly in the house, you wouldn't use any data because the phone would be connected to wifi. An extra cell phone would also come in handy if you lose or break your primary cell phone.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
I have used IPTV for 3 years. Orlando tv market + golf + entertainment + sports nfl nba nhl nhl mlb + news fox cnn msnbc oann + national networks access Hawaii to Boston approx 900 * big 10 and pac 12 along with international channels $20 monthly. Only problem is no recording option.
I just googled IPTV. There seems to be multiple apps - which one do you use?
Old 08-10-2020, 10:09 AM

What is YTTW
Old 08-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
We cut the cord a month ago and signed up for sling TV. I would like to get some local channels like Orlando CBS (when a golf match leaves the Golf Channel) and perhaps a few others. I am also not interested in an antenna on the roof. I know I am getting a bit picky here but I don't know that for sure. Any suggestions?
Over the air antennae.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 AM

We use Hulu Commercial Free, and have all of the local network channels along with 50 hours of DVR cloud service. All of the channels we had with cable (sports included) for $60.00 per month. I've looked into sling, but they were missing too many of the things Hulu included. Live TV isn't commercial free, but most recordings are.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 AM

There is a law that local channels must broadcast their digital signal. Pick up a good antennae and hook it up to one of your usb ports. Simply select that port amd have your TV do a channel search. You can get many channels free and all the local news like that.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer View Post
I've had houses near 466a and El Camino Real. I used an attic antenna for both. The house near Camino Real gets better reception because the attic is higher. Tom of VillagersAV can install it as long as there is no reflective insulation. NBC can be a little dicey but CBS has a strong signal.
Today
Old 08-10-2020, 11:36 AM
Default TV

Quote:

I use Sportz TV for $9.95/ month only 6400 Channels. Works great including all local channels major networks etc. Should have high speed internet.
Closed Thread

Tags
cut, golf, local, cord, sling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.