Dealing with televisions shutting off. Dealing with televisions shutting off. - Talk of The Villages Florida

Dealing with televisions shutting off.

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 55,566
Thanks: 14,622
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,095 Posts
Default Dealing with televisions shutting off.

I was able to watch the Sunday premieres like Tracker but was having a few problems when the tv would lose power and I would have to restart it. Today I have not been able to watch anything on a television because as soon as I turn it on it powers down. The 2nd television also does this. I have tried almost every trick in the book but so far nothing works.

Tracker and U.S. Marshalls were quite good last night.
  #2  
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,769
Thanks: 3,329
Thanked 9,590 Times in 3,939 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I was able to watch the Sunday premieres like Tracker but was having a few problems when the tv would lose power and I would have to restart it. Today I have not been able to watch anything on a television because as soon as I turn it on it powers down. The 2nd television also does this. I have tried almost every trick in the book but so far nothing works.

Tracker and U.S. Marshalls were quite good last night.
Are both the same brand and model? Long shot but maybe a software update gone wrong?

Purchased at same time so developed problems at same age?

Effects of recent power surge?

Connected to streaming device via HDMI and receiving a signal to power off?

Undetected power anomaly currently affecting your home?

Most streaming services have apps for phones, tablets, and computers. Not as nice as a 65”+ TV but better than nothing.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
  #3  
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 55,566
Thanks: 14,622
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,095 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Are both the same brand and model? Long shot but maybe a software update gone wrong?

Purchased at same time so developed problems at same age?

Effects of recent power surge?

Connected to streaming device via HDMI and receiving a signal to power off?

Undetected power anomaly currently affecting your home?

Most streaming services have apps for phones, tablets, and computers. Not as nice as a 65”+ TV but better than nothing.
They are both on Roku but were purchased at different times and are different companies' products. No power issues otherwise in the home.

Roku is trying to get the television that is doing a little better than the other one to follow the steps to get back online but is met with interference from whatever keeps turning the power off.
  #4  
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,769
Thanks: 3,329
Thanked 9,590 Times in 3,939 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
They are both on Roku but were purchased at different times and are different companies' products. No power issues otherwise in the home.
Different rooms so not a remote with a stuck button constantly sending an “off” code? (yeah, not likely but the problem isn’t likely either)
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,124
Thanks: 3,631
Thanked 18,653 Times in 7,573 Posts
Default

Both the TV remote and the Roku remote can turn off the TV. To eliminate the Roku remote as the cause, I would remove the batteries from the Roku remote for a few hours to see if the TV stays on. Then, I would remove the batteries from the TV remote and turn on the TV manually to see if it stays on. I would also check the TV settings to see if the TV is programmed to automatically turn off. This is sometimes called a sleep mode.

Also, you should make sure that the 2 Roku remotes are not paired to the same TV, and that you are not using the wrong Roku remote in the wrong room. Each Roku remote should be paired to only one TV, and that remote should only be used with the correctly paired TV.

Last edited by retiredguy123; Yesterday at 08:56 PM.
  #6  
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 55,566
Thanks: 14,622
Thanked 5,049 Times in 3,095 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Both the TV remote and the Roku remote can turn off the TV. To eliminate the Roku remote as the cause, I would remove the batteries from the Roku remote for a few hours to see if the TV stays on. Then, I would remove the batteries from the TV remote and turn on the TV manually to see if it stays on. I would also check the TV settings to see if the TV is programmed to automatically turn off. This is sometimes called a sleep mode.
Thanks. I only use the Roku remote. It gets both and I recently changed the batteries.
  #7  
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,124
Thanks: 3,631
Thanked 18,653 Times in 7,573 Posts
Default

Another thing I can suggest is to plug the TV directly into the wall, and to put a piece of tape over the infrared receiver to see if the infrared signal is causing the TV to shut off. Note that the Roku remote uses your wifi signal for most controls, but, I think it uses the infrared receiver to turn the TV on and off.

Also, disable any power saving features on the Roku and TV settings.

Last edited by retiredguy123; Yesterday at 09:12 PM.
  #8  
Old Today, 06:49 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,124
Thanks: 3,631
Thanked 18,653 Times in 7,573 Posts
Default

Just to clarify, if you have a Roku device, the Roku remote operates in 2 ways. One, it uses your wifi LAN to operate most functions. For those functions, you do not need to point the remote at the TV, and you don't even need to be in the same room. The Roku remote also has the ability to pair with your TV to operate the TV on/off, volume, and mute functions. For these functions, the remote uses the infrared sensor (or radio transmission) on the TV, and it does help to point the remote at the TV. I know that a lot of people do not understand this because they are always pointing the remote at the TV.
  #9  
Old Today, 08:06 AM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 9,769
Thanks: 3,329
Thanked 9,590 Times in 3,939 Posts
Default

I was envisioning a television with a Roku device attached. If this is a television with Roku built in then it seems this problem is not uncommon and Roku Support has some ideas to try. Unfortunately, you've probably already tried these with no luck.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.
Confirmation bias is real; I can find any number of articles that say so.


Victor, NY - Randallstown, MD - Yakima, WA - Stevensville, MD - Village of Hillsborough
  #10  
Old Today, 08:11 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20,124
Thanks: 3,631
Thanked 18,653 Times in 7,573 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I was envisioning a television with a Roku device attached. If this is a television with Roku built in then it seems this problem is not uncommon and Roku Support has some ideas to try. Unfortunately, you've probably already tried these with no luck.
Me too, and I agree. If there is an available HDMI input, you may try to plug in a new Roku stick or device, which may allow you to bypass the built-in Roku features. I would also suggest that you not buy another Roku TV.
  #11  
Old Today, 08:37 AM
JRcorvette JRcorvette is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 878
Thanks: 870
Thanked 621 Times in 323 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
They are both on Roku but were purchased at different times and are different companies' products. No power issues otherwise in the home.

Roku is trying to get the television that is doing a little better than the other one to follow the steps to get back online but is met with interference from whatever keeps turning the power off.
We had problems with one of our rather new LG TV’s and it turned out to be the Roku device. Once I plugged a different one in no more issues.
Reply

Tags
tracker, television, watch, trick, dealing


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.