DirecTV and Comcast internet in same room?

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Default DirecTV and Comcast internet in same room?

Hi all,

My wife and I have read this site for several years hoping that we'd join you in TV eventually. It's happening! We've contracted for a home in Sanibel and are planning to close on June 18. We'll arrive permanently in the last few days of June and we couldn't be more excited. From what the movers say we're part of a mass migration from Virginia Beach to TV. :-) Golf cart is on order as well!

I've been frustrated with cable television viewing the pay sports packages. None of them are HD and the blackouts are unreasonable. Friends who have DirecTV say that those issues are much less prevalent so I plan to take the plunge. Our home is new and is pre-wired for cable and phone, and all the bedrooms and the den have pre-wired connections on two walls.

I don't plan to use DirecTV for internet service, and thought I'd get Comast for internet and phone. I've asked this question of my real estate agent, a friend who has DirecTV and the Villages rep for Comcast, and none of them knew the answer. The question is: Given the pre-wiring and the fact of two connections, can I have DirecTV in the room that will house the Comcast internet service? I'm thinking that splitters can make this possible, but I'm not sure.

If anyone knows the answer, I'd sure like to hear it. And thanks for all the tips we've gotten over the years. We'll join you in about a month!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Sage
Smile

We have comcast in one bedroom hooked to a regular computer for Hi-speed internet. Along with that we have a router for wi-fi. In the living room we have direct TV for our large TV. In the master bedroom we have comcast for the TV.
When we bought comcast internet hi-speed they included service for one TV. Comcast used the wires which were here when we moved in. When they installed Direct TV, they ran their own wiring even drilling through the wall to the outside to install the dish. We are very happy with our Direct TV. The only time we have lost signal has been during a very heavy downpour and once the storm was over it came right back on.
I also have a laptop that is wi-fi and works great in the house. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Junkie View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I have read this site for several years hoping that we'd join you in TV eventually. It's happening! We've contracted for a home in Sanibel and are planning to close on June 18. We'll arrive permanently in the last few days of June and we couldn't be more excited. From what the movers say we're part of a mass migration from Virginia Beach to TV. :-) Golf cart is on order as well!

I've been frustrated with cable television viewing the pay sports packages. None of them are HD and the blackouts are unreasonable. Friends who have DirecTV say that those issues are much less prevalent so I plan to take the plunge. Our home is new and is pre-wired for cable and phone, and all the bedrooms and the den have pre-wired connections on two walls.

I don't plan to use DirecTV for internet service, and thought I'd get Comast for internet and phone. I've asked this question of my real estate agent, a friend who has DirecTV and the Villages rep for Comcast, and none of them knew the answer. The question is: Given the pre-wiring and the fact of two connections, can I have DirecTV in the room that will house the Comcast internet service? I'm thinking that splitters can make this possible, but I'm not sure.

If anyone knows the answer, I'd sure like to hear it. And thanks for all the tips we've gotten over the years. We'll join you in about a month!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM

I have Comcast for Internet and Direct TV for my television. There are two separate lines. I know that they can’t be shared, but the installer may be able to separate the lines somewhere and use the pre-wiring. I found that DTV personnel were very good at what they do and probably will be able to help you. Comcast most likely will not go out of their way. Terrible customer service at best.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Sure you can. But before you contract with Comcast be sure to consider Brighthouse for the television. You can bundle all three with them unless you want directTV for their NFL pass or something like that. If you search the Comcast posts on TOTV you will find many negative comments. Brighthouse is available in Sanibel. Which street are you on?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok4933 View Post
I have Comcast for Internet and Direct TV for my television. There are two separate lines. I know that they can’t be shared, but the installer may be able to separate the lines somewhere and use the pre-wiring. I found that DTV personnel were very good at what they do and probably will be able to help you. Comcast most likely will not go out of their way. Terrible customer service at best.

We have Direct TV and Comcast for internet. Got rid of Comcast tv for the same reason as above.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 05-27-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer in Sanibel View Post
Sure you can. But before you contract with Comcast be sure to consider Brighthouse for the television. You can bundle all three with them unless you want directTV for their NFL pass or something like that. If you search the Comcast posts on TOTV you will find many negative comments. Brighthouse is available in Sanibel. Which street are you on?
We'll be on Glendale Lane. Please tell me more about Brighthouse. I've never even heard of them.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Veteran member

We have DirecTV for TV (brought the boxes from NYC) and CenturyLink for phone and internet...no problems.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Sage

I have Direct TV in 2 rooms, computer and wifi router in another room. Comcast for internet and phone. Works well.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 PM

jblum, was your house pre-wired? If so, did the installers use the pre-wiring or drill their own holes? Thanks
Old 05-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Please tell me more about Brighthouse. I've never even heard of them.
Do a search on here for Brighthouse. There have been several threads lately that speak well of them and their service. .
And, to the forum!
In reality, they're different!
Old 05-27-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
We'll be on Glendale Lane. Please tell me more about Brighthouse. I've never even heard of them.
Go to Bright House Networks - TV | Home Phone | Internet | Serving Tampa Bay, Orlando-Central Florida, Indianapolis, Birmingham, Bakersfield and Detroit and check them out. You should also use the search function on this site and search Brighthouse. I plan to get the whole house DVR. Look at how many hours of HD you can record. Awesome.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Also do a search for Comcast.

Nuf said.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Gold member
Smile

I have 3 tvs with Directv. One is in the kitchen, one is in the living room, and one is in the master bedroom. I have Comcast for my internet connection in the den. For the tv's in the kitchen and living room the cable goes from the dish to an outside box and uses the existing house wiring. The internet service also is connected to that box. The tv in the bedroom is connected directly from the dish. There are two input lines to both the living room tv and the bedroom tvs so that I can record two programs at once.

I have had no problems with these connections thanx to directtv and their installers.

Hope my memory is correct with all this wiring.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 05-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Default Direct Tv & Comcast in Same Room

I have both DirectTV and Comcast in my den where I use the same monitor for both. The installer or Direct Tv installed a connection for the box and my Comcast is connected to the original connection.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Default Extra Hook Ups Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
We have DirecTV for TV (brought the boxes from NYC) and CenturyLink for phone and internet...no problems.
We also have DirecTV for TV and CenturyLink for phone and internet and are very happy. During the design phase of our home we advised that we wanted additional CAT5 hook ups added to some of our rooms as we knew we were going with DirecTV from the start. We also had additional electrical outlets installed inside and outside. All for a price. Don't know how much it cost but didn't care as it is much easier to add additional wiring to a home while it is in the build stage. Just something to think about. Welcome to TV!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.