Doctor Foster (BritBox) Bingeworthy

Old 12-30-2023, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Certainly seems to be the consensus. Accent On Accents: The Curse of Dick Van Dyke | Home Brew Audio

Can't explain why it creeps me out so to hear "Dr. House" speak in his native accent. :-)
My wife liked that series. I never got into it.
Passable accent though!
Old 12-30-2023, 09:54 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Actually Vera is set on other side of country from Liverpool.
Northumberland/Newcastle area.
The local accent is very hard to understand, and the Vera series is as near English as it gets.
Northumberland is a very scenic area, but the local accent is hard for many to understand.
We use sub-titles for most shows now, as 'Kings English' has long disappeared from public broadcasting.
Another series worth watching is Luther if you can get it.
Idris Elba stars. It's brilliant.
There is a Christmas Special of Vera. My wife and I are watching it tonight.
Haven't seen Midsommer Murders mentioned. Worth a watch.
Why anyone would want to live in or near that village, I fail to understand, half the population get murdered weekly!
Two Bills, about those villages in your country, I know what you mean. There are so many of them where somebody gets murdered every week. Grantchester is the same way, like Father Brown. (I have been known to wonder if those priests were actually murderers.)

Jessica Fletcher’s Cabot Cove, Maine, certainly had its share of murders, but could not hold a candle to all those British villages with bodies turning up on a regular basis.

I absolutely love the British mysteries. We do not have to see horrible scenes of violence — and the murderers in the British mysteries almost always know their victims. None of that random murder stuff.

Boomer
Old 12-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Sure wish they'd start these back up. The Secret Life of the Zoo - Wikipedia The keepers' accents were a huge part of the draw for me.
Good series. Probably 'Scouse' as Liverpool nearby.
The City of Chester is an amazing place to visit.
Very old, with some of the best preserved Tudor buildings in UK.
The Romans had a large settlement there as well.
The High Street is very good, with some brilliant buskers.

This YouTube link shows a lot of the area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUO6kYLb6As
Old 12-30-2023, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Two Bills, about those villages in your country, I know what you mean. There are so many of them where somebody gets murdered every week. Grantchester is the same way, like Father Brown. (I have been known to wonder if those priests were actually murderers.)

Jessica Fletcher’s Cabot Cove, Maine, certainly had its share of murders, but could not hold a candle to all those British villages with bodies turning up on a regular basis.

I absolutely love the British mysteries. We do not have to see horrible scenes of violence — and the murderers in the British mysteries almost always know their victims. None of that random murder stuff.
Boomer
We are a very polite race, and kill, maim, and murder with such grace and good manners.
'Twas how we conquered the world.
With a "Please" and "Thank You," and "mind the blood!!"
Old 12-30-2023, 10:36 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
We are a very polite race, and kill, maim, and murder with such grace and good manners.
'Twas how we conquered the world.
With a "Please" and "Thank You," and "mind the blood!!"
Absolutely! Manners can make such a lovely difference. Seriously.

I just finished reading Erik Larson’s Thunderstruck. It is the novelization of the true story of Marconi and how his invention made it possible to catch the infamous Dr. Crippen while he thought he was escaping across the Atlantic with his lover. I don’t blame him for having a lover, but……..

Dr. Crippen was portrayed as a quiet man, polite, invisible in the shadow of his obnoxious wife who used him for money.

He might have been a quiet guy, but that one sure was murder most angry. Chopping her up and burying (some of her) under the basement floor did not seem like the most dignified thing to do though.

I had never heard about Dr. Crippen, but now I know. He had his gruesome tendencies, but he sure knew his victim.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-30-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 12:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

I have often been tempted to subscribe to BritBox just to watch the Cracker series. Robbie Coltrane was a favorite of mine.
Old 12-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I have often been tempted to subscribe to BritBox just to watch the Cracker series. Robbie Coltrane was a favorite of mine.
Can watch on Amazon.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The Mrs Bradley Mysteries.
He had a hard job following John Nettles.
If you fancy a good laugh, Yes Prime Minister takes some beating. Very British!
I hate to admit, but I could not get through the first Mrs. Bradley which I did find on Prime last evening. Oh my goodness, how dated. Loved the clothing, like her and the relationship between her and the chauffeur, but I could not get through it. Pity, I used to love it.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I hate to admit, but I could not get through the first Mrs. Bradley which I did find on Prime last evening. Oh my goodness, how dated. Loved the clothing, like her and the relationship between her and the chauffeur, but I could not get through it. Pity, I used to love it.
All the oldies seem so dated now. I watch some of the funnies from way back.
Still funnier than most of today's PC comedy.
Never get away with a lot of the stuff now, so many thin skins!
Old 01-19-2024, 01:50 PM
Soaring Parsley

Ohhhhh, nooooo!

I just saw a headline that said Vera is being replaced after only 3 episodes in Season 13. (We can’t get Season 13 yet on BritBox. I guess it stays with British TV for a while before we get to see it.) All we can find new now is something called Vera Post Mortem that has only 4 episodes.

Anyway, I did not open the articles which seem to be only from England, so I don’t yet know the rest of the story…..

What is happening to Vera?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-19-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:23 PM
Default Receptionist

Quote:
We've just started in on this Doc. Struggling with
suspending disbelief that he'd remain in that town if it meant he'd have to retain that receptionist. Am told that she'll "grow" on me. . .
Interestingly, *that* receptionist was gone after the first season. Into the third season now and once it struck me how much the Doc resembles Shrek, that's all I can see. Must be *really* hard to keep coming up with ideas for the episodes. :-) *Did* get a kick out of their pronunciation of Asperger's. . .
Old 01-19-2024, 09:55 PM

Watched all the Doc Martin shows twice. It was good but when they brought Sigourney Weaver in, well, that ruined it. Just like I’m now watching ‘Raising Kanan’ and they brought in Tony Danza. I mean really?

The best shows were ‘Shetland’, ‘Happy Valley’, and especially ‘Line of Duty’ which we’ve watched all of them at least twice.

Tags
medea, jason, woman, doctor, husband

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.