Doctor Foster (BritBox) Bingeworthy

Old 12-29-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
If you are looking for a couple of evenings of winding down this week between holidays, maybe try Doctor Foster on BritBox.

“Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” is the basic plot. And, Wowzer! — That doc takes her revenge seriously.

Boomer
I'm Confused, I looked up Dr Foster on IMDB and it describes it as "An embittered Doctor travels to South West England and his simple day trip becomes an emotional roller coaster ride that will shape him and his world view for the rest of his life." ????
Old 12-29-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Doc Martin is one of my favorites. He is a complex character. Socially inept true genius — like so many of those types. Deeply caring and kind while seeming callous and cold.

Vera is another of my favorites. I like it especially because the brilliant, respected Vera is of an age we Americans seldom get to see in a series’ lead role like that on television here — where shallow and stupid often seem to be the target audience. And in real life the actress Brenda Blethyn is 77. We just finished the 2023 episode that has a setting of Christmastime. Was that the last one for this season? I hope there are more episodes coming soon.

Back to Dr. Foster, she is not a character that I liked, at all. Simon is the standard creepy cliche, nothing to like about him either. They both have seriously fatal flaws. Seriously. But the first season hooked me when we got a couple of episodes in. Soooooo damned crazy.

Boomer
Boomer, back to VERA. Last episode I found was #3 in Series 13 Group of old friends meet on an island.

Now to Vera: Have you seen her in Kate and Koji. Very funny, very politically incorrect - they seem to have made one episode and then disappeared. Pity, it was a good show if you are not easily offended.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:58 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyo View Post
I'm Confused, I looked up Dr Foster on IMDB and it describes it as "An embittered Doctor travels to South West England and his simple day trip becomes an emotional roller coaster, ride that will shape him and his world view for the rest of his life." ????
I am pretty sure a title cannot be copyrighted, so maybe that is why IMDB confused it. Google will find it for you with just the title Dr. Foster, but out of curiosity I added IMDB to the search line………..

When I did that, it showed up as Dr. Foster: A Woman Scorned. I don't know if it ever had that expanded title. I had seen it before only as Dr. Foster. That title is based on a nursery rhyme, so my guess is it has been used quite a few times. Maybe IMDB either knew more about the title or changed it to avoid confusion. (I think they would have needed permission to do that, but who knows.)

That thing about titles not being copyrighted can cause confusion. A woman in my book club read the wrong book one time. In the discussion, nobody knew what she was talking about, until we figured out the titles were the same. (Actually, the book she read sounded a lot better than the one the rest of us had. Now, we always make sure to include the author’s name when picking the next book.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-29-2023 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:29 PM

Another British channel is Acorn and they have some great shows like ‘Line of Duty’ and ‘Happy Valley’.

Another channel is Netflix and they have ‘The Great British Baking Show’ and ‘The Crown’ which I’ve watched numerous times. Interesting factoid is you can watch ‘The Great Canadian, American, New Zealand, and Australian Baking Show’ but only on YouTube and the quality isn’t very good and you can’t watch them in order.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:46 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
If you are looking for a couple of evenings of winding down this week between holidays, maybe try Doctor Foster on BritBox.

“Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” is the basic plot. And, Wowzer! — That doc takes her revenge seriously.

Doctor Foster is a complicated woman who seems to keep her goals in mind, short and longterm both, even at her own costs. She can be one of those “means to an end” types. She sure violates HIPAA (or whatever they call it in England) if she thinks she needs to. She covers every angle as she unleashes her wrath — in twists and turns, with a wicked hook at the end of each episode. The momentum builds until you find yourself saying, “Wanna keep watching?” — as you decide to binge away the evening.

As we got to the last episode, I realized and said, “Aaaaaaugh!! This is Medea! Is she going to go full-on to that end — like in the Greek tragedy?”

In case you do not remember Medea, she is the woman who madly loved her husband Jason — the Golden Fleece guy with the Argonauts. Jason could not have gotten the Golden Fleece past that dragon without Medea using her magic to make it so……

And THEN that big “hero” Jason betrayed Medea with another woman.

(Personally, I did not think Doctor Foster’s philandering husband was worth all the trouble. But she sure did.)

Boomer
That last episode of Season One will knock your socks off. It is awesome, thoroughly enjoyable & satisfying!
Old 12-30-2023, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
We have stayed with it from the first episode and many times Doc Martin (Martin Clunes) has annoyed me, but the whole show is excellent entertainment. If you like Martin Clunes he has made many other shows, one of which is A is for Acid and you need a strong stomach for that one. He has also done some incredible travel documentaries of various places around the world.

I also like Shetland, but the actors all have strong Scottish accents and I miss a lot of the dialog. I love Vera, but again it is set in Liverpool (Beatles country) and I have a hard time understanding the accent.
Actually Vera is set on other side of country from Liverpool.
Northumberland/Newcastle area.
The local accent is very hard to understand, and the Vera series is as near English as it gets.
Northumberland is a very scenic area, but the local accent is hard for many to understand.
We use sub-titles for most shows now, as 'Kings English' has long disappeared from public broadcasting.
Another series worth watching is Luther if you can get it.
Idris Elba stars. It's brilliant.
There is a Christmas Special of Vera. My wife and I are watching it tonight.
Haven't seen Midsommer Murders mentioned. Worth a watch.
Why anyone would want to live in or near that village, I fail to understand, half the population get murdered weekly!
Old 12-30-2023, 07:34 AM
Sage

PS. A documentary series from BBC, Blue Planet is spectacular, and well worth a viewing.
You do not have to agree, or disagree with the underlying 'Climate Change' message, the photography and shear scale of it, is a wonder to behold.
The presenter, David Attenborough, is 97 years old.
Almost a object of amazement on his own.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Default RP

Quote:
We have stayed with it from the first episode and many times Doc Martin (Martin Clunes) has annoyed me, but the whole show is excellent entertainment. If you like Martin Clunes he has made many other shows, one of which is A is for Acid and you need a strong stomach for that one. He has also done some incredible travel documentaries of various places around the world.

I also like Shetland, but the actors all have strong Scottish accents and I miss a lot of the dialog. I love Vera, but again it is set in Liverpool (Beatles country) and I have a hard time understanding the accent.
What a fun rabbit hole this British accent stuff sent me down. It appears that both RP and Mid-Atlantic accents were "contrived" at boarding schools on either side of the Atlantic. *And*, had no idea about Gen Z stuff such as this. Why are so many young Americans adopting fake British accents? | Life and style | The Guardian
Old 12-30-2023, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
What a fun rabbit hole this British accent stuff sent me down. It appears that both RP and Mid-Atlantic accents were "contrived" at boarding schools on either side of the Atlantic. *And*, had no idea about Gen Z stuff such as this. Why are so many young Americans adopting fake British accents? | Life and style | The Guardian
Probably the worst British accent by an American was Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.
Horrendous!
Old 12-30-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Actually Vera is set on other side of country from Liverpool.
Northumberland/Newcastle area.
The local accent is very hard to understand, and the Vera series is as near English as it gets.
Northumberland is a very scenic area, but the local accent is hard for many to understand.
We use sub-titles for most shows now, as 'Kings English' has long disappeared from public broadcasting.

Another series worth watching is Luther if you can get it.
Idris Elba stars. It's brilliant.
There is a Christmas Special of Vera. My wife and I are watching it tonight.
Haven't seen Midsommer Murders mentioned. Worth a watch.
Why anyone would want to live in or near that village, I fail to understand, half the population get murdered weekly!
Bill, thanks for correcting Vera for me. I have not heard about a Christmas Special, but will hunt for it. Midsommer Murders was a favorite of ours, but we had a problem getting to like the new guy, although we saw him in a show with Diana Riggs when he was the chauffeur and we really enjoyed him. What was that called?

I will do a search for Blue Planet and the Vera Christmas Special. Thanks.

Last edited by LuvNH; 12-30-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:59 AM
Default Appalachia

Quote:
PS. A documentary series from BBC, Blue Planet is spectacular, and well worth a viewing.
You do not have to agree, or disagree with the underlying 'Climate Change' message, the photography and shear scale of it, is a wonder to behold.
Have watched all those episodes multiple times. My mountain accent is probably what shall keep me from getting his job should he ever croak.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:00 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Boomer, back to VERA. Last episode I found was #3 in Series 13 Group of old friends meet on an island.

Now to Vera: Have you seen her in Kate and Koji. Very funny, very politically incorrect - they seem to have made one episode and then disappeared. Pity, it was a good show if you are not easily offended.
Thank you for recommending Kate and Koji. “Vera” is excellent in that role, too.

I wish it were not canceled. I read that it did not have good ratings. Maybe the audience was driven away because of that obnoxious laugh track. I have never understood the reason for laugh tracks, at all, and this one was beyond the usual awful because it was startlingly LOUD……..

But we liked the show so much that we decided to continue in spite of the stupid laugh track. Seriously. It was so annoying that we had a conversation about whether we wanted to give up watching because of it.

The laugh track seemed to calm down, a little, a few episodes in. . .Either that or we became immune to it because the show is funny and well worth watching.

Kate’s phone calls from Spencer are classic. Her insults for everyone are so good, and her obsession with the bench is a clever piece of writing.

Anyway, thanks. Like you, I am sorry to see Kate and Koji canceled. “Vera” was perfect as Kate. She is quite an actress.

Boomer
Old 12-30-2023, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Bill, thanks for correcting Vera for me. I have not heard about a Christmas Special, but will hunt for it. Midsommer Murders was a favorite of ours, but we had a problem getting to like the new guy, although we saw him in a show with Diana Riggs when he was the chauffeur and we really enjoyed him. What was that called?

I will do a search for Blue Planet and the Vera Christmas Special. Thanks.
The Mrs Bradley Mysteries.
He had a hard job following John Nettles.
If you fancy a good laugh, Yes Prime Minister takes some beating. Very British!
Old 12-30-2023, 09:04 AM
Default Consensus

Quote:
Probably the worst British accent by an American was Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.
Horrendous!
Certainly seems to be the consensus. Accent On Accents: The Curse of Dick Van Dyke | Home Brew Audio

Can't explain why it creeps me out so to hear "Dr. House" speak in his native accent. :-)
Old 12-30-2023, 09:14 AM
Default The Secret Life of the Zoo

Quote:
Sure wish they'd start these back up. The Secret Life of the Zoo - Wikipedia The keepers' accents were a huge part of the draw for me.

Tags
medea, jason, woman, doctor, husband

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.