Downton Abbey

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM

I always DVR it here in NYC. I will be in TV this weekend, when will it be on? I have DirectTV both in NY and TV, but in TV I cannot locate the correct channel for PBS.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Sage

On Direct TV it is channel 68, WUCF in Orlando, and it's always Sunday night at 9 p.m.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
On Direct TV it is channel 68, WUCF in Orlando, and it's always Sunday night at 9 p.m.
Thank You, I'll be watching on Sunday evening down with you all.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Sage

Never seen it; but after all these rave reviews, I plan to watch.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Never seen it; but after all these rave reviews, I plan to watch.
Try to catch Season One Episode One to give you an orientation to the characters and start to the story line.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Gold member
Default The Cook, the house maid and the chaufeur

I was born in the UK, but have lived in the US for 40 plus years - Am a proud American Citizen. However, my maternal grandparents would talk about "the old days" (in England) and my great grand mother lived long enough to see the use of a motor car, and watch man land on the moon. Great grandma, and her husband both worked for titled people. G Grandma was a cook, and g grandpa was a chauffeur, beginning with horse and carriage, and later, driving a motor car. In his "spare time" g grandpa was also the gardener. Their daughter, my grandmother, worked at a very young age, as the scullery maid, and her first chore in the morning, was to clean out the fireplace. While they all spoke fondly of their employers, they were glad (but scared) of their eventual "freedom" when WWI changed the ways of the world. Downton Abbey captures the two different worlds as I heard of them, beautifully. I watch it with a new appreciation of my hard working great grandparents, and my grandmother. When my grandmother learned I was leaving England, she said "good for you, go and enjoy yourself in a country where everyone is the same". I know that was a rather naive statement, but she got the drift.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Platinum member
Default Good going to get better

According to The Movie Data Base, Shirley McClain will join the cast in season three as Cora Crawley's American mother. I expect she and Maggie Smith, playing Cora's mother-in-law, along with creator/writer Julian Fellowes, will come up with some great lines.

Downton Abbey may prove to be Masterpiece Theater's greatest hit.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
I was born in the UK, but have lived in the US for 40 plus years - Am a proud American Citizen. However, my maternal grandparents would talk about "the old days" (in England) and my great grand mother lived long enough to see the use of a motor car, and watch man land on the moon. Great grandma, and her husband both worked for titled people. G Grandma was a cook, and g grandpa was a chauffeur, beginning with horse and carriage, and later, driving a motor car. In his "spare time" g grandpa was also the gardener. Their daughter, my grandmother, worked at a very young age, as the scullery maid, and her first chore in the morning, was to clean out the fireplace. While they all spoke fondly of their employers, they were glad (but scared) of their eventual "freedom" when WWI changed the ways of the world. Downton Abbey captures the two different worlds as I heard of them, beautifully. I watch it with a new appreciation of my hard working great grandparents, and my grandmother. When my grandmother learned I was leaving England, she said "good for you, go and enjoy yourself in a country where everyone is the same". I know that was a rather naive statement, but she got the drift.
Shrandell, thanks so much for sharing your story! You can be our resident expert whenever we have questions about the program.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Sage

With all the good reviews here, I knew I just had to watch it. Have started on Season 1 on Netflix.....glad to know season 2 is on PBS web site, thanks Mike.

May I also put in a recommendation for Doc Martin. First 4 seasons are available on DVD, not sure how many now on Netflix...that's where I watched the first 4 seasons. Also watched Season 5 on You Tube before it was removed.

Now back to episode 3 of Downton Abbey!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
. . . May I also put in a recommendation for Doc Martin. First 4 seasons are available on DVD, not sure how many now on Netflix...that's where I watched the first 4 seasons. Also watched Season 5 on You Tube before it was removed.

Now back to episode 3 of Downton Abbey!
Pooh, I googled Doc Martin, and it sounds wonderful! I see that it's available on Hulu, and I definitely have to learn about Netflix.too. Thanks for the recommendation!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Gold member
Default Doc Martin

OMG, we are SO hooked on poor,quirky Doc Martin. Can you say "Aspergers?"
Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 AM
Veteran member

Doc Martin is fantastic! Love it, love it. Never miss an episode.
The village, 'Port Wen', is actually Port Isaac, we visit here when we can, it is lovely before all the tourists arrive
My husband played rugby for a Cornish club, so he has an affinity with the place.
There are a group of local fishermen called Fishermans Friends, who started a choir, they sing old sea shanties, and sometimes you can see them in the show.
Another English TV show I saw when we were over in October, was New Tricks. Very entertaining, see if you can find that.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritParrothead View Post
Doc Martin is fantastic! Love it, love it. Never miss an episode.
The village, 'Port Wen', is actually Port Isaac, we visit here when we can, it is lovely before all the tourists arrive
My husband played rugby for a Cornish club, so he has an affinity with the place.
There are a group of local fishermen called Fishermans Friends, who started a choir, they sing old sea shanties, and sometimes you can see them in the show.
Another English TV show I saw when we were over in October, was New Tricks. Very entertaining, see if you can find that.
Gee, is Doc Martin still running? I saw the first 2 seasons and loved it. Don't know if I can get it here
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

We are waiting for the new season (6) to start, quite soon i hope. Will not tell you about what you have yet to watch
Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
On my Directv its WBBC CH 68 @ 9:00 and search "Masterpiece Classic" not Downtown Abbey if you're having trouble finding it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.