The Godfather

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Sage
Default The Godfather

The Godfather in on today, all day on AMC. I am looking forward to watching it at 8 PM, assuming I am finished meeting with friends. What is your favorite line in this movie and or scene?

"Don't insult my intelligence, as it makes me very angry". Michael to Carlo on his reckoning day.

I like when Sonny beats up Carlo, after he beat up Connie. The story goes that James Caan didn't like the person who played Carlo, (Giovanno Gannini?), and he broke a couple of his ribs in that fight. Shoting was stopped for a couple of months. It was very realistic. I'll never forget what's his name. I'll guess I'll have to memeorize the credits too.

A good movie for me to fall asleep to, as I have seen it many times, but still like to see it over, as I see something I missed in previous watchings, like the credits for each character.

One per customer please.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

In the flashback sequence at the end of Godfather 2-After Sonny expresses dismay at the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor on their father's birthday,I believe it's Fredo who says "they didn't know it was Pop's birthday"
Old 11-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatherer47 View Post
In the flashback sequence at the end of Godfather 2-After Sonny expresses dismay at the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor on their father's birthday,I believe it's Fredo who says "they didn't know it was Pop's birthday"
Thanks for posting.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
Old 11-29-2013, 05:50 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I have always thought that Godfather 1 and 2 were the best movies I have ever seen.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Sonny to Clemenza and Tom discussing Mike's meeting with Sollozzo and Capt. Mcluskey....."Now listen: I want somebody good -- and I mean very good -- to plant that gun. I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his (private part) in his hands, alright?"
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Sal Tessio to Tom Hagen "Tom,can you get me off the hook,for old times sake?"
Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum member

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse." Don Corleone to Johnny Fontaine about the Hollywood producer who wouldn't give Johnny the movie role he wanted.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Sage
Default Here's the scene from The Godfather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
Leave the gun Take the cannoli - YouTube
Old 11-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

Michael Corleone...."Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in."
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
Michael Corleone...."Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in."
That's from the lesser of the Godfather trilogy, Part III. Just When I Thought I Was Out, They Pull Me Back In! SCENE - The Godfather: Part 3 MOVIE (1990) - HD - YouTube
Old 11-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
The Godfather in on today, all day on AMC. I am looking forward to watching it at 8 PM, assuming I am finished meeting with friends. What is your favorite line in this movie and or scene?

"Don't insult my intelligence, as it makes me very angry". Michael to Carlo on his reckoning day.

I like when Sonny beats up Carlo, after he beat up Connie. The story goes that James Caan didn't like the person who played Carlo, (Giovanno Gannini?), and he broke a couple of his ribs in that fight. Shoting was stopped for a couple of months. It was very realistic. I'll never forget what's his name. I'll guess I'll have to memeorize the credits too.

A good movie for me to fall asleep to, as I have seen it many times, but still like to see it over, as I see something I missed in previous watchings, like the credits for each character.

One per customer please.
Giovanno Gannini was said to have been a actual mafia guy so I wonder about the alleged fight?

As an American-Italian I have always taken umbrage at the godfather movies and the subsequent wannbe's. To my way of thinking these movies did more harm to people of Italian heritage. It makes people ignore or forget the many many accomplishments of Italians over the centuries . so forgive me if I don't celebrate the depiction of a few dysfunctional character that happen to share my same ancestory.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Giovanno Gannini was said to have been a actual mafia guy so I wonder about the alleged fight?

As an American-Italian I have always taken umbrage at the godfather movies and the subsequent wannbe's. To my way of thinking these movies did more harm to people of Italian heritage. It makes people ignore or forget the many many accomplishments of Italians over the centuries . so forgive me if I don't celebrate the depiction of a few dysfunctional character that happen to share my same ancestory.

I have to agree to disagree respectfully. I am also of Italian heritage and grew up in a neighborhood, with this type of element. I can see why you don't want to be lumped in with the stereotypical Italian from generations ago and they were very few, percentage wise. I agree the Itlaian heritage has greatly contributed to our society, like DaVinci, opera talents like Caruso, Pavoratti, and Bocelli, and others like Fermi and Marconi.

With that being said, "The Godfather" movies I and II, (I don't count III, as it was a terrible movie), happens to be a story of what happens to a family, as they age, and go through the various phase of life.
1. When your are young, brothers and sisters play together.
2. When they are married, they go over one another's house and the children play together.
3. As one gets older, their difference are accentuated.
4. When the father and mother dies and has money, or something of great value to be distributed, the stuff hits the fan. I know this is true of some families as when money is invovled it leads to disputes, that are sometimes never healed.

In this case, they were of Italian descent who were in a business with violent tendencies, and resolved disputes in an extreme way.

I think it's a great story and a instant classic. It is an entertaining movie and nothing more. It was also a great book, written by Mario Puzo.

So I agree, we disagree respectfully.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

Willie Cheech testifying in front of Congress "Yea Senator,the family had a lot of buffers."
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.