Leave it to beaver

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts
Default Leave it to beaver

I find myself mystified by time gone by. Life so simple and dreams of life style going by. What wonderful parents Ward and June portray in make believe town of Mayfield. As with any sitcom certain supporting characters really make this show pop. Like Eddie Haskell, Lumpy, and lumpy's dad Fred. just like Steinfeld's Krammer, Neuman, George's dad. I've probably seen majority of these two sitcom's episode's over and over, but still find myself watching and laughing as if I seen them the first time. Evidently I'm not alone there still on after all these years!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

My 8 year old grandson is so much like Eddie Haskell and he has never seen the show. Life did seem so simple and perfect back in the day.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Gold member

When Ward would tell June that he was going The Club" I always thought that that was the height of upper- middle class. My folks did not belong to any club, and I had no reference point. Now I belong to a whole bunch--that that Cleavers!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran member

I have been watching the entire Leave it to Beaver series from the beginning over the last few months on Netflix streaming. I am now in late season 5. In those days a season was 39 episodes, so the 5 seasons total 195. And there were far fewer commercials then so each episode is almost a full half hour.

Unfortunately, Netflix does not have the last season 6 so I don't know how I am going to finish.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

Me TV on Comcast cable shows the beaver. My husband watches it everyday it's on at 8:00 am and the next episode shows at 8:30am Monday thru Friday.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I always got a kick of how Ward was always dressed up even while doing stuff around the house.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
My 8 year old grandson is so much like Eddie Haskell and he has never seen the show. Life did seem so simple and perfect back in the day.
Did you know that Eddie Haskell (Ken Osmond - current age 70) later became a cop with the LAPD? While serving he was wounded 3 times.

(Click here to view the full biography )
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Did you know that Eddie Haskell (Ken Osmond - current age 70) later became a cop with the LAPD? While serving he was wounded 3 times.

I did not know that!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post

That was so cool! Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Gold member

Life WAS simpler back then - especially when we were only 5 - 10 years old at the time. LOL
Old 12-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Life WAS simpler back then - especially when we were only 5 - 10 years old at the time. LOL
I was watching the recent episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee by Jerry Seinfeld, and he was describing a 1956 Corvette convertible:

"It is absolutely the essence of American futuristic positivism of the post-war society at that time. In the 1950s, people just didn't see anything that was bad. Everything, from the American perspective, looked like this car. Colorful, energetic, happy -- 'We've perfected life!'

It struck me as I was watching, because that seems to be the sociological consensus about the 50's, but is it true? I mean, we were kids. While it might have seemed pretty idyllic to us then, or even now in hazy retrospect, I wonder if our parents felt the same. I know mine certainly weren't anything like Ward and June, beginning with getting divorced.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Sage

Leave It To Beaver was the type of life that veterans desired for their families after WWII. Returning home to get on with their lives and live the good life. It was a time of prosperity and good feelings.

Something we kids were not aware of at that time. It was beautifully acted and portrayed an idyllic existence.

The golden age of television brings back such wonderful memories.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I was watching the recent episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee by Jerry Seinfeld, and he was describing a 1956 Corvette convertible:

"It is absolutely the essence of American futuristic positivism of the post-war society at that time. In the 1950s, people just didn't see anything that was bad. Everything, from the American perspective, looked like this car. Colorful, energetic, happy -- 'We've perfected life!'

It struck me as I was watching, because that seems to be the sociological consensus about the 50's, but is it true? I mean, we were kids. While it might have seemed pretty idyllic to us then, or even now in hazy retrospect, I wonder if our parents felt the same. I know mine certainly weren't anything like Ward and June, beginning with getting divorced.
It was true for me from 4 to 14 in a small Midwestern town in the fifties. Probably not so much for a black kid of the same age growing up in Mississippi or Alabama.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The fifties were wonderful in real life as well as on TV, a true golden age in America. I remember when cars first got wrap around single pane windshields, built in A/C and tail fins, 45 rpm records and a whole lot more. Things really started to go down hill in the mid sixties after SAT scores peaked in 1965.

I am glad I grew up when I did, mostly in the fifties.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-26-2014, 12:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Having traveled throughout the world as a child, I really didn't see the fifties as that idyllic, even in America. There was no question there was more of everything here but I really didn't see that people were all that happy. There was too much keeping up with the Joneses then. Racial discrimination was a fact of life. Women really were relegated to the kitchen. Television was a wonderful fantasy but rarely depicted life as lived by the vast majority.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.