The Golden Age Of Television

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2014, 12:23 PM
Sage
Default The Golden Age Of Television

I remember fondly when television first hit the market and spawned "The Golden Age Of Television".

The pioneers who changed American viewing habits and provided a lot of entertainment.

I remember the greats like Milton Berle, Red Skelton, Sid Ceasar, Burns & Allen and who could forget The Honeymooners.

What was your favorite show/performer and what scenes/skits do you remember vividly?

A friend of mine reminds me of Gracie Allen. George Burns used to say that all he had to do was ask Gracie, "How is your uncle Harry", and Gracie would be on, for a half an hour.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-25-2014, 02:17 PM

I remember Burns and Allen and so many of the old Black N white movies that made it to television. Some of them were really funny. Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, the Lone Ranger, Shirley Temple were among my favorites and Sonia Hennings was adorable on ice. My father liked to watch Combat and war movies. My mom liked the variety shows. How about the old commercials? Brought to you by; Carnation Milk, Lucky Strikes, Kraft Cheese. I'm sure there are so many more but that's all that's all the old brain will allow me to access right now.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran member

Not sure this is golden or not, but the first time I remember having that certain, specific interest as a male looking at a female was watching Loretta Young make her dramatic entrance through the door on The Loretta Young show.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I remember fondly when television first hit the market and spawned "The Golden Age Of Television".

The pioneers who changed American viewing habits and provided a lot of entertainment.

I remember the greats like Milton Berle, Red Skelton, Sid Ceasar, Burns & Allen and who could forget The Honeymooners.

What was your favorite show/performer and what scenes/skits do you remember vividly?

A friend of mine reminds me of Gracie Allen. George Burns used to say that all he had to do was ask Gracie, "How is your uncle Harry", and Gracie would be on, for a half an hour.
We had one of the first televisions in Omaha. My dad and his brother owned a tavern and when they bought a TV for the business they each bought one for their homes in 1948. Some of the first shows I remember were Kukla Fran, and Ollie, The Squirrel Cage (local kids show hosted by a young Johnnie Carson) and because my family were huge boxing fans, the Wednesday Night and Friday Night Fights. Your Show of Shows, Milton Berle, and the Ed Wynn shows were faves in the early fifties.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Platinum member

Inquiring minds:
I've always wondered why couples, Ricky & Lucy, Ward & June, slept separately in twin beds, but 2 guys, Laurel & Hardy, slept together in one bed.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 12-26-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Inquiring minds:
I've always wondered why couples, Ricky & Lucy, Ward & June, slept separately in twin beds, but 2 guys, Laurel & Hardy, slept together in one bed.
Or the Three Stooges ala Menage a Trois!!
Old 12-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
We had one of the first televisions in Omaha. My dad and his brother owned a tavern and when they bought a TV for the business they each bought one for their homes in 1948. Some of the first shows I remember were Kukla Fran, and Ollie, The Squirrel Cage (local kids show hosted by a young Johnnie Carson) and because my family were huge boxing fans, the Wednesday Night and Friday Night Fights. Your Show of Shows, Milton Berle, and the Ed Wynn shows were faves in the early fifties.
We were also big wrestling fans until we found out how fake it was. Neighbor down the street had the only TV and the first show I ever saw was Kukla Fran and Ollie. My father went to a TV store and wanted to buy the biggest screen they sold. Salesman wanted to know the size of the living room because he said a screen too big for the room would be bad for your eyes. Biggest screens then were probably about 12".
Old 12-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I had family over for Christmas and we had this exact conversation. Jackie Gleason, Sid & Imogene in our Show of Shows. Ed Sullivan, I love Lucy Sky King, Howdy Dowdy, Father Knows Best, Ozzy & Harriet
Old 12-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Sage

How about Amos & Andy, and The Dead End Kids. Captain Video was always one of my favorites.

Last edited by Shimpy; 12-27-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
How about Amos & Andy, and The Dead End Kids. Caption Video was always one of my favorites.
Space hemet on, Captain Video!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Sage

The scene on the Honeymooners where Ralph went bowling and threw out his back. Norton measures his temperature and uses a cigarette lighter to see the reading. Norton asks what is considered a high temperature and Ralph responds with 102 or 103. Ralph asks what is the reading and Norton shrieks, 111!!!!!

That still cracks me up 50 plus years later!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Ralph teaching Ed Norton how to golf "Hello Ball"
Old 03-08-2015, 11:37 PM

Anybody remember an afternoon soap opera called "Action In The Afternoon"? It was a western, probably the only western soap ever. It was also live, which was a big problem because the horses were not great actors. The action scenes were few and far between, hardly living up to the show's title. One point of interest-Zacherlie played the undertaker. Very fitting.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:46 AM
Sage

My father loved the wrestling shows altho I'm sure he knew they were faked. My mother and I loved Your Hit Parade and The Ed Sullivan Show and the Kraft Television Theater.I was a bit old for the Micky Mouse show but i loved it anyway. Loved Lights Out and the Green Hornet.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

First I remeber was Rinn Tin Tin
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.