Constitution USA w/Peter Sagal on PBS

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Default Constitution USA w/Peter Sagal on PBS

This is an excellent series that tries to explain our Constitution and the struggle between Federalism and Centralism. Everyone who sees this post should record this very interesting series. It just started this week on PBS and is only 4 episodes. The first episode entitled "A More Perfect Union" was fascinating. I hope anyone who ever said, "But the Constitution says".... Or "The Constitution doesn't say".... Watches this series that helps to try to explain what the founders intended.

Enjoy!

Constitution USA with Peter Sagal | PBS

Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbace6 View Post
This is an excellent series that tries to explain our Constitution and the struggle between Federalism and Centralism. Everyone who sees this post should record this very interesting series. It just started this week on PBS and is only 4 episodes. The first episode entitled "A More Perfect Union" was fascinating. I hope anyone who ever said, "But the Constitution says".... Or "The Constitution doesn't say".... Watches this series that helps to try to explain what the founders intended.

Enjoy!

Be careful. According to ALL news accounts yesterday and today, the IRS was targeting those "educating on the constitution and the Bill of Rights" (quotes are from the Washington Post)
Old 05-13-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Be careful. According to ALL news accounts yesterday and today, the IRS was targeting those "educating on the constitution and the Bill of Rights" (quotes are from the Washington Post)
Agreed. Funny and sad at the same time.

What threw me for a loop though, was that this was on PBS. I have to say Mr. Sagal does a very good job in the first episode in not injecting his ideology into anything. He just raises questions and tries to get some answered. It was very well done.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Agreed. Funny and sad at the same time.

What threw me for a loop though, was that this was on PBS. I have to say Mr. Sagal does a very good job in the first episode in not injecting his ideology into anything. He just raises questions and tries to get some answered. It was very well done.
I think it VERY sad. Shame that politics is now being inserted and used at what appears every level of our government. It casts a very large shadow, which at least, is becoming more visible.

Not meaning to hijack your thread at all. PBS does some very good stuff, and a shame that partisan politics is now overshadowing a. "Living" document and sadly has for sometime. Those who say it is outdated are simply justifying their politics.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I think it VERY sad. Shame that politics is now being inserted and used at what appears every level of our government. It casts a very large shadow, which at least, is becoming more visible.

Not meaning to hijack your thread at all. PBS does some very good stuff, and a shame that partisan politics is now overshadowing a. "Living" document and sadly has for sometime. Those who say it is outdated are simply justifying their politics.
Actually, what I had gotten from the show is that politics has ALWAYS overshadowed the Constitution. And believe it or not that was part of its intent. The founders put a very a rigid foundation in place so it would be extremely difficult to change, so that if we were to change it, it must be what the vast majority wanted and had wanted for some time.

What is going now is no different than has ever gone on. In fact we are much more civil today, but we do not think so because we are the ones going through it at the moment.

I hope you watch the show.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Sage

I really like the comments about the Constitution being a "living document" as I definitely believe that is true. It was designed to allow for amendments to be added but it would not be an easy process to do so. In the 2 centuries that the Constitution has been in place, there have only been 27 amendments - and one of them was to nullify another one.

I remember arguing on the old Political forum that the Constitution was a living document and there were several ultra-conservatives who disagreed with that idea.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I really like the comments about the Constitution being a "living document" as I definitely believe that is true. It was designed to allow for amendments to be added but it would not be an easy process to do so. In the 2 centuries that the Constitution has been in place, there have only been 27 amendments - and one of them was to nullify another one.

I remember arguing on the old Political forum that the Constitution was a living document and there were several ultra-conservatives who disagreed with that idea.
While your post goes into politics and that is a no no here....I will just say in response that my memory is just the exact opposite.

I recall being lectured on how the consitution is outdated everytime it was referenced.

But again, no politics !

It is a document that cannot be outdated by any political party of movement. As a big believer in states rights, I watch in horror what is happening in the country. In just a few days, we have Benghazi, the IRS situation, and the tapping of news media phones. ALL done by "our" government !!!! Quite a week

Perhaps all of us need a refresher on this document and thank the OP for the information supplied
Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM
TOTV Moderator

Lets try to keep the discussion to the PBS show and not stray too far into current day partisan politics.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Talking

Quote:

Enjoy!

Thanks for that reminder.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.