Harry & Meghan

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2022, 03:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
I have been to Briton quite a few times in my life and it always freaked me out when Brits would refer to The Royal Parasite with the crown on it's head as "Queen Mum". At least Elizabeth had some class.
I can do nothing to change your malignant, and certainly ignorant view of how our country is run, but as a courtesy, you could at least spell Britain correctly.
Thank you.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
The King and Queen are the equivalent of our Mickey and Minnie Mouse. They are paid well being the Number 1 Tourist attraction in England. They have no other functions. Harry evidently didn't want to be the next Goofy. Good for him. Good for Meghan. They are taking advantage of America's thirst for entertainment, thats our fault. They have shed light on the ridiculous royalty of England. Thats the new reality, show things for the way they really are.
The Magic Castle in England will lose its luster soon and its about time.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
The King and Queen are the equivalent of our Mickey and Minnie Mouse. They are paid well being the Number 1 Tourist attraction in England. They have no other functions. Harry evidently didn't want to be the next Goofy. Good for him. Good for Meghan. They are taking advantage of America's thirst for entertainment, thats our fault. They have shed light on the ridiculous royalty of England. Thats the new reality, show things for the way they really are.
Interesting take, though a bit misleading. Actually King Charles III has quite a few official duties. Though many of them are "with the advice" of this-or-that person or entity, many aren't. Here are just a few:

Serve as king of more than just England. Charles III as titular head-of-state of Great Britain, also serves in that role for the commonwealth countries as well. It is more or less as a goodwill ambassador. But who is to say good will isn't important?

Serve as head of the Commonwealth of Nations. This is a group of 54 nations, some of the British Commonwealth, many not, "aimed at fostering cooperation among member nations and advancing their economic and social interests" (rd dot com, Lauren Cahn, 9/26/22).

Pick the Prime Minister. This is largely ceremonial, as the king does this mainly by appointing the leader of the party that has just won a majority of seats in the House of Commons, but under certain rare circumstances, such as when a Prime Minister dies in office, the king may be called upon to "exercise his discretion" and actually make the pick himself.

Appoints members to the House of Lords. The king's picks for this must be approved by the Prime Minister, but it is he who actually makes the choice.

Appoints Supreme Court Justices. The King "appoints justices on the advice and recommendation of a panel of legal experts from each of the U.K.’s nations..." (ibid.)

Initiate the process of "forming a government". "Without the “formation of a government,” parliament can’t conduct its business (in fact, it doesn’t even exist until it’s formed). It’s up to the king to invite the prime minister appointee to Buckingham Palace, where he’ll ask the PM to “form a government,” a meeting known as the kissing of hands." (ibid.)

Open Parliament each year. A royal tradition, apparently.

Legitimize laws. " the king must sign off on a proposed act of parliament before it officially goes into effect, a process known as royal assent." The power to refuse royal assent still exists, though apparently no British monarch has done so since 1708.

Summon the Prime Minister. "One of the king’s responsibilities is to stay abreast of what’s going in the government. To do so, he can exercise his power to summon the prime minister for meetings (royal speak: audiences). During these meetings, he has both a right and a duty to express his opinions on matters of government." (ibid.)

Open Welsh lawmaking sessions and ratify Welsh legislation. Wales has its own form of elected government (The National Assembly of Wales) which acts on matters delegated to it by the U.K. Parliament. The King apparently exercises this duty in a similar manner as with the U.K. Parliament.

Ratify the laws of Northern Ireland. Same as above.

Appoint the members of the Privy Council. "The U.K. Privy Council is responsible for a number of executive responsibilities, including extending legislation to British territories overseas, granting royal charters and issuing orders and proclamations. It also advises the king on his duties, including how to exercise his royal prerogative. Members of the Privy Council are appointed by the king, although he takes the advice of the prime minister." (ibid.)

Pardon criminals. This is known as the "royal prerogative of mercy". " The king can use the royal pardon to reduce an inmate’s prison sentence. For instance, Queen Elizabeth used it in 2013 to grant a posthumous pardon to World War II code-breaker Alan Turing, who received an indecency conviction in 1952." (ibid.)

Grant knighthoods. "It’s a millennia-old tradition for the British monarch to recognize those who have shown great “service, loyalty or gallantry” (ibid.) While ceremonial it is not unlike our "Presidential Medal of Freedom".

Appoints bishops and archbishops to the Church of England. This goes back to 1534. The King makes this appointments based on the advice of the Prime Minister.

This list is just a few of the King's responsibilities. Much more, I'm afraid, than "Mickey Mouse".
Old 12-19-2022, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Thanks to this thread, I started watching it. I'm still on the first episode. I like the outline, the way the documentation is arranged, the shift from "really grainy low-quality" photo to sharp crisp video, the clips and snippets of historic moments in modern UK history.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I could care less about the so called Royal Family .My family goes back hundreds of years and are Irish catholic from Belfast and for hundreds of years like many other families have experienced being starved to death by English land lords , others forced to leave the country ,imprisoned without trials , denied good paying jobs , walled into ghettos and treated like second class citizens in there own country ,we don’t need the royal family and we don’t want them , they should just get out and leave us to be a free Ireland .
What about the Fenian Raids in the 1800’s when the IRA invaded and attacked Canada because of their British association?
Old 12-19-2022, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
What about the Fenian Raids in the 1800’s when the IRA invaded and attacked Canada because of their British association?
Good for them, they were part of the British Empire , Its one of the first stories I was told as a very young person and it was the first Invasion by Irishman against the British Empire, remember Canada had been no friend of the union along with the British government during the civil war , there sympathies had been with the South

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 12-19-2022 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Good for them, they were part of the British Empire , Its one of the first stories I was told as a very young person and it was the first Invasion by Irishman against the British Empire
I wonder how important grudges are and how would Ireland have fared under Russian or Hitler’s control?
Hopefully, the new generations will figure it out between countries. This world has seen enough war.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Says it all
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Harry.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	96180  
Old 12-20-2022, 06:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I agree the Royal Parasites do have some entertainment value but they derive their livelihood from gun-n-jail backed robbery of "THEIR Subjects" (Yes, The Royal Parasites claim to OWN the citizens of the UK tax farm). Imagine Disney surviving off the taxpayer...Now that would be Goofy.

Last edited by MorTech; 12-20-2022 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
I wonder how important grudges are and how would Ireland have fared under Russian or Hitler’s control?
Hopefully, the new generations will figure it out between countries. This world has seen enough war.
Hard to answer a statement like that so I’ll just say WHATEVER
Old 12-20-2022, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
I agree the Royal Parasites do have some entertainment value but they derive their livelihood from gun-n-jail backed robbery of "THEIR Subjects" (Yes, The Royal Parasites claim to OWN the citizens of the UK tax farm). Imagine Disney surviving off the taxpayer...Now that would be Goofy.
You really do need to update your medication requirements, or lay off the Wacky Baccy.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
You really do need to update your medication requirements, or lay off the Wacky Baccy.
That...Or...Maybe you have brain damage from watching television. Most Americans do.
Old 12-20-2022, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
That...Or...Maybe you have brain damage from watching television. Most Americans do.
I believe you are replying to a UK citizen…
Old 12-20-2022, 06:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I believe you are replying to a UK citizen…
Yep, he was.
Closed Thread

Tags
harry, meghan, wait, installment, slept

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.