History channel - "How Disney Built America"

Old 05-08-2024, 08:01 AM

The Parks have Narcon stations set up to accommodate the drug overdoses.

Nothing Mickey & Minnie needed in the Good Ole' Days.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:15 AM
Default Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
The story of Disney is amazing. I had no idea what a risk taker he was. His imagination and determination finally paid off. Sunday night 10:00 p.m. - History Channel 269.
Two amazing men and such forward thinkers were Walt Disney and Gene Roddenberry, both taken from us way too early. The ideas these two shared and what more that could have accomplished.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:19 AM

I'm going to guess that the documentary didn't mention the CIA connection at all.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:24 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,776 Posts

My grandmother and an aunt took me to Disneyland the year it opened in Anaheim, 1955. I was 13 and will never forget the experience. I doubt it cost them an arm and a leg as it does now as they had little money.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-08-2024, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Is that monopoly money? Asking for a friend
Obviously you’ve never looked into annual pass prices. I paid 399.00 dollars. That’s in good ‘ole American dollars. Though I do think it’s 430.00 this year but with a 20% discount for renewing, it’ll be the same for me for another year. I go all the time. I live in the southern area so I can be in the parking lot in under an hour. Some days I just go to Epcot for lunch and to walk around since parking is free for me too. Others I go to Animal Kingdom, they have one of my favorite places Nomad Lounge. I have the pixie dust pass which is only weekdays and no holidays but I’d never go then anyway so it’s perfect.

Last edited by Kelevision; 05-08-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvetrano1 View Post
Well, he definitely built Orlando !
Disney it’s own state…..at least it was
Old 05-08-2024, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,226 Times in 5,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Obviously you’ve never looked into annual pass prices. I paid 399.00 dollars. That’s in good ‘ole American dollars. Though I do think it’s 430.00 this year but with a 20% discount for renewing, it’ll be the same for me for another year. I go all the time. I live in the southern area so I can be in the parking lot in under an hour. Some days I just go to Epcot for lunch and to walk around since parking is free for me too. Others I go to Animal Kingdom, they have one of my favorite places Nomad Lounge. I have the pixie dust pass which is only weekdays and no holidays but I’d never go then anyway so it’s perfect.
Very interesting. If we lived much closer would consider it, did especially enjoyed Epcot.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
399 a YEAR includes free parking at any park and 20% off all merch and some food items at all the parks and Disney Springs. How can anyone say that’s expensive?
When we got our first Disney annual pass six years ago, it was about $260. It was an amazing deal as that was less than going to each of the parks for a single day. Of course, it's only us Florida residents who get that deal and it has gone up by over 50% in that time and will probably go up more before long. So for us who live here and don't stay at a hotel on the grounds, Disney is pretty affordable, especially if you only go for a few hours and don't buy any of their overpriced food or any of their silly merchandise.

For an out-of-state family of four who has to fly in and then pay full fare for parking and entrance, plus meals all day plus hotels (particularly the on-grounds hotels) plus merchandise and probably photo passes and perhaps whatever they're calling the "skip the line" passes these days, it can be extraordinairily expensive to try to do all four of the parks on a family vacation. We're talking the cost of a decent used car. Much of middle class America can't do it any more.

And it's not just Disney. We had our great neice and her fiance stay with us three nights to do two days at Universal. They bought two-park passes for both days to give them flexibility and that cost them nearly $750. They had no hotel bills, ate almost nothing at the parks, bought very little merchandise and it still was expensive for a young couple.

None of these parks are exactly cheap. Well, one is that is still close to my heart. Cedar Point of Sandusky, Ohio is the roller coaster capital of the world and near to my birth state of Michigan. They are offering two days entrance for just $85 each to Michigan residents to get them to make the relatively short drive over. Now THAT is a deal!
Old 05-08-2024, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,226 Times in 5,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
When we got our first Disney annual pass six years ago, it was about $260. It was an amazing deal as that was less than going to each of the parks for a single day. Of course, it's only us Florida residents who get that deal and it has gone up by over 50% in that time and will probably go up more before long. So for us who live here and don't stay at a hotel on the grounds, Disney is pretty affordable, especially if you only go for a few hours and don't buy any of their overpriced food or any of their silly merchandise.

For an out-of-state family of four who has to fly in and then pay full fare for parking and entrance, plus meals all day plus hotels (particularly the on-grounds hotels) plus merchandise and probably photo passes and perhaps whatever they're calling the "skip the line" passes these days, it can be extraordinairily expensive to try to do all four of the parks on a family vacation. We're talking the cost of a decent used car. Much of middle class America can't do it any more.

And it's not just Disney. We had our great neice and her fiance stay with us three nights to do two days at Universal. They bought two-park passes for both days to give them flexibility and that cost them nearly $750. They had no hotel bills, ate almost nothing at the parks, bought very little merchandise and it still was expensive for a young couple.

None of these parks are exactly cheap. Well, one is that is still close to my heart. Cedar Point of Sandusky, Ohio is the roller coaster capital of the world and near to my birth state of Michigan. They are offering two days entrance for just $85 each to Michigan residents to get them to make the relatively short drive over. Now THAT is a deal!
Totally agree but they are getting lots of people coming in at these prices
Old 05-08-2024, 01:49 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,776 Posts

As I understand it The Villages and other Florida developers have hugely benefitted from using pretty much the same structure as that which was enacted by the Florida legislature for Disney in 1967, CDDs.
Community development district - Wikipedia.

Reedy Creek Improvement Act - Wikipedia

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-08-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:09 PM
Default I grew up in So Calif so went to Disneyland most of my life.

Saw it change over the years. Removal of Indian Village and install of Haunted Mansion. Then Pirates of Caribbean then Splash Mountain. Updates to Tomorrow Land. Walt was visionary. There used to be a BofA branch on Main Street as they lent him the money to build when no one else would.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Gold member

Doesn’t affect me.....I go to Walley World. Roy Walley was a visionary in his own right!
Old 05-08-2024, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Doesn’t affect me.....I go to Walley World. Roy Walley was a visionary in his own right!
Sorry folks, parks closed. The moose out front shoulda told ya.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:33 PM

Just found this fun info ... Disney World 1973. Around the time of my first trip there. (and only trip there)

Yesterland: The Magic Kingdom in 1973

A few things I remember best: Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents,
Country Bear Jamboree, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, It's a Small World

I still remember vividly in the Haunted Mansion when your cart turned around and faced a mirror... you saw yourself with a GHOST next to you. Gave me nightmares for weeks.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:02 PM

Knew that 50 years ago

Tags
history, disney, channel, p.m, night

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.