So? Anybody watching any good new television shows now? Suggestions?

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2022, 10:41 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts
Default So? Anybody watching any good new television shows now? Suggestions?

I admit it. The confines of the Covid era got us hooked on watching a lot more television in the evenings. The habit seems to be here to stay, so now I want to know if TOTVers have any new recommendations.

I have a few:

The best thing I have found lately is Julia — about Julia Child’s life and how her show took off. The actress playing Julia is wonderful — you gotta love her — just like the real Julia Child. It is worth subscribing to HBO just to watch this. (They are dropping the episodes weekly and I think there are maybe two left in the queue.)

Ken Burns Ben Franklin (PBS)

I recently stumbled across Abbott Elementary. It is about teachers and other staff at a school in Philly. It concentrates on the teachers. It has a nice, sweet touch and some likable characters in funny situations. . .

Abbott Elementary is just a happy little show about a year-in-the-life of a school staff, on the job. (I figured it would get canceled because it is neither raunchy nor is it heavy handed or just plain stupid. But I just read that it will be back. I guess “Rotten Tomatoes” loved it. I did.)

. . .And as a bonus, it does not have a laugh track. (I hate laugh tracks. Who doesn’t though.)

That’s all I’ve got for now. Anybody else?

Boomer
Old 04-19-2022, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,886 Times in 5,317 Posts

I watched the series "The Thing about Pam" on NBC and Peacock. It stars Renee Zellweger, who plays the most evil person you can imagine. It is based on a true story, and only has 6 episodes, but it is very entertaining.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:12 AM

I have been watching a 1-season show called Clickbait on Netflix. It is an interesting crime show that centers around the modern facination of technology.

My parents, who are in their 70's and 80's both like it and recommended it to me.

Might not be your thing, but probably worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I admit it. The confines of the Covid era got us hooked on watching a lot more television in the evenings. The habit seems to be here to stay, so now I want to know if TOTVers have any new recommendations.

I have a few:

The best thing I have found lately is Julia — about Julia Child’s life and how her show took off. The actress playing Julia is wonderful — you gotta love her — just like the real Julia Child. It is worth subscribing to HBO just to watch this. (They are dropping the episodes weekly and I think there are maybe two left in the queue.)

Ken Burns Ben Franklin (PBS)

I recently stumbled across Abbott Elementary. It is about teachers and other staff at a school in Philly. It concentrates on the teachers. It has a nice, sweet touch and some likable characters in funny situations. . .

Abbott Elementary is just a happy little show about a year-in-the-life of a school staff, on the job. (I figured it would get canceled because it is neither raunchy nor is it heavy handed or just plain stupid. But I just read that it will be back. I guess “Rotten Tomatoes” loved it. I did.)

. . .And as a bonus, it does not have a laugh track. (I hate laugh tracks. Who doesn’t though.)

That’s all I’ve got for now. Anybody else?

Boomer
Old 04-19-2022, 11:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,990 Times in 765 Posts

I’m addicted to NETFLIX binge watching series Schitt’s Creek also series on PBS out of Canada “Red Green Show” YouTube. Mostly Comedy and if you can take it Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Office, Veep
Old 04-19-2022, 11:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

We tend not to watch that many "new" shows. And we find British shows for the most part better written and acted. Masterpiece on PBS is highly recommended. Here is what we are currently watching.

Unforgotten - Detective in England that works "Historic" cases (what we would call cold cases here)

Elementary - Reimagined Sherlock Holmes and Watson. Takes place in the modern US, Watson is a Female and Sherlock is a recovering drug addict. It is EXCELLENT.

Severed - SciFi - Company developed technology to sever your mind into two parts, so one part has memories only at work other has memories only at home. VERY weird, very interesting. Not for everyone.

Rookie - "fun" light viewing, Police Rookies Starring "Castle" from the Series "Castle" (also highly recommended for light viewing.)

Slow Horses - British setting of MI-5, Slow Horses refer to agents that screw up and get assigned to a group that doesn't get assigned any work - but manage to get some and get into trouble doing it. Not a comedy, excellent.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:42 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
I’m addicted to NETFLIX binge watching series Schitt’s Creek also series on PBS out of Canada “Red Green Show” YouTube. Mostly Comedy and if you can take it Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Office, Veep

I think we have the same kind of sense of humor. Schitt’s Creek is at the top of my all time favorite sitcoms. (Shameless Confession: I have binged it twice and I think I’m feeling a third coming on. . . But I might start talking like Moira again.)

Another old bingeworthy of mine is 3rd Rock from the Sun. I think Lithgow was a comedic genius in that 1990s run and who knew he could play Churchill when he got older.

If you do not already know about The IT Crowd and also the Canadian sitcom Corner Gas, I think you might like to give both of those a try. (I learned about Corner Gas in an old thread here on TOTV. I never would have found it otherwise. It is like Northern Exposure met Seinfeld.)

Anyway, “Keep your stick on the ice.”

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 04-19-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Boomer I have been digging deeper to find something different. My girlfriend sent me :

Legend on Netflix. Having trouble watching it. True story of a pair of twin gangsters who took over the East End of London in the 60s. Violence and language. I do a bit at a time for as long as my stomach can take it.

Boomer for you - chick flick, short and sweet. The Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman on Prime. Also, Age Before Beauty. Really keeps you watching, British accent hard to understand, but well worth watching.

Also a weird one on Prime: Unfinished Sky. Australian. Hard to understand, but well worth watching to the end. A very different story line, creepy but good.

Unforgotten is incredible. Four great stories. Great writers on this show. So much talent.

Bluestocking Crimes: Don't Leave me this way.

Shetland. The Inspector Lynly Mysteries. Murder in Provence ... very light, entertaining.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-19-2022, 03:22 PM

I would like to thank whoever it was on this forum that recommended "Corner Gas". It's a funny, funny show from Canada that we have gotten hooked on. We get it through Amazon Prime - worth a watch.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:33 PM

I like the Detectorists and New Tricks both british and very good.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:32 PM
Platinum member

I love Abbott Elementary. Granddaughter teaches 1st grade in Philly. Probably that is why I get such a kick out of it.
Tampa, FL
Old 04-19-2022, 06:38 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,776 Posts

Better Call Saul, Season 6!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-19-2022, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,240 Times in 2,819 Posts

The 4th season of the Sons of Anarchy spin-off, Mayans MC, starts this week on FX.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,251 Times in 5,437 Posts

Heartland about a horse ranch was excellent. Have to get the 15th season.

And another season of Bosch is coming in two weeks.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Unforgotten is incredible. Four great stories. Great writers on this show. So much talent.
So true, I think Unforgotten may the best TV series I have see in a long time. Very real, excellent acting, very emotional and credible. Not at all like so many "detective shows". Too bad it only ran 4 seasons.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Heartland about a horse ranch was excellent. Have to get the 15th season.

And another season of Bosch is coming in two weeks.
Bosch is GOOD.
Closed Thread

Tags
julia, teachers, abbott, staff, school

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.