How can I brighten my TV screen?

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2022, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default How can I brighten my TV screen?

I stream using Roku. I mainly watch YouTubeTV and Prime. Recently I have noticed my screen is so dark it is hard to see what is happening. Last night I watched an Australian program that was really great, but some of the shots were too dark to see anything, but I could hear the action.

I notice this more on the older programs that come up on streaming. Is there anything I can do to lighten my site. I tried searching, but found nothing.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-16-2022, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I stream using Roku. I mainly watch YouTubeTV and Prime. Recently I have noticed my screen is so dark it is hard to see what is happening. Last night I watched an Australian program that was really great, but some of the shots were too dark to see anything, but I could hear the action.

I notice this more on the older programs that come up on streaming. Is there anything I can do to lighten my site. I tried searching, but found nothing.
On your TV, try menu-->settings-->picture-->brightness, or the equivalent for your brand of TV. (Unless your TV is from the Flintstones era)
Old 04-16-2022, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
On your TV, try menu-->settings-->picture-->brightness, or the equivalent for your brand of TV. (Unless your TV is from the Flintstones era)
Thanks, and no I don't go that far back

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-16-2022, 07:14 PM
Veteran member

There is a possibility that your TV is set to Game Mode. Check your TV menu to see.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

The other possibility, is the backlight is failing, how old is your TV, if it is out of warranty, plan on replacing as it is generally more expensive to repair then replace.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:16 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

TV brand?? Model?? More info.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Use the remote that came with the TV. Select menu, then picture mode, and then select "dynamic". If that doesn't brighten the picture, I think your TV is defective.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:08 AM
Sage

Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me. The TV is a Samsung and I cannot remember how old it is, but it is set to Dynamic. I think it may be dying ......

Old 04-17-2022, 10:12 AM
Veteran member

Some times there is a big difference between live TV, or cable, and some of the streaming movies and shows.

Watching golf yesterday and picture was great. Then last night I started watching a new Josh Brolin show on Netflix (Outer Range). Some of the scenes were so dark I could barely figure out what was going on. Attempted to adjust screen lightness to no avail.

Wasn't first time I noticed some night scenes on streaming stuff was really dark. So maybe compare overall tv picture to streaming movies etc

FYI, Outer Range seems like an episode of the Twilight Zone.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:24 AM

Buy a new TV
Old 04-18-2022, 05:39 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me. The TV is a Samsung and I cannot remember how old it is, but it is set to Dynamic. I think it may be dying ......
If on Dynamic, that's all the power she's got Scottie.

One opportunity..........make sure it has downloaded the latest Samsung software (if an option).
Old 04-18-2022, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

maybe you should have your eyes checked....just saying, cataracts maybe? something more serious? I had a macular hole that has no pain no obvious symptoms until an eye check
Old 04-18-2022, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
maybe you should have your eyes checked....just saying, cataracts maybe? something more serious? I had a macular hole that has no pain no obvious symptoms until an eye check
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 04-18-2022, 06:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:

Last week I visited a friend who had the same problem but didn’t even realize it. Using her remote control, we went to Settings, then to some option that was set on Standard, and we had a couple other options for Movies or something like that. We clicked on one, went back to the main screen, and it wasn’t dark anymore. This is better than just using the Brightness setting, as it adjusted several other settings with one push of the button. We had tried just adjusting the brightness, but this was much better. Be careful about just moving sliders for Brightness, Balance, different colors, etc. you aren’t as likely to figure out the right setting that way.

A few years ago Consumer Reports had available online the correct setting for best results for every television they tested. The settings were quite picky, like 63 for this color and 48 for that, but the results were excellent. I guess there is an ideal setting for each model.

Last edited by MandoMan; 04-18-2022 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

///
Closed Thread

Tags
dark, screen, notice, shots, hear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.